cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid notification wording madness. :laughing:

Good for a laugh. laughing

Does anyone else get these email notifications after placing a bid with this illogical phrasing?

eBayThis item is gone, but there's more!
Check your bid   

Looking good so far, but you could still be outbid. Be sure to tune in towards the end of the auction.

It's 'gone'  but wait... it's 'looking good' ?

Doesn't anyone at ebay proof read the stuff they mail out?

Whats the hidden message here?

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

You have to remember that the people making decisions are all business geniuses with degrees from some of our greatest universities.  Do you really expect them to understand the art of communication?!

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

You have to remember that the people making decisions are all business geniuses with degrees from some of our greatest universities.  Do you really expect them to understand the art of communication?!

you also need to remember these geniuses programed a computor to think for them. what little knowledge they did have didnt make it into the program! most high school drop outs could catch that mistake but the highly educated with all their computors missed it!

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

yes i get these every time i loose a auction. they usually send along with pics of the same item being sold buy other sellers.they want another shot of you spending your money on Ebay
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I have ebay emails going to my suspect emails box so I never read them. All my dealings with ebay or paypal are done directly through my accounts and I have never seen such a message from ebay. If ebay is actually behind those emails, it is rediculous.

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I totally understand where you are coming from.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

That message does not bode well for a new buyer.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

It is kinda funny.

I've had a look back through my emails and it seems this change in wording happened between April and May 2018.... the same email title though > ☝️ Your bid is winning now, but watch out for competition: *listing title*

The last April message opened with..

You're currently the highest bidder, *me* ! Looking good so far. It's almost yours, but you could still be outbid. You can improve your chances by increasing your max bid.

* changed name here to 'me'

Then in May it went stoopid.

Also, same date in May I see that a > 😞 *listing title*... sold for AU $xxx,xx but there's more! 😊 [no win notification] has same opening line of ..

eBayThis item is gone, but there's more!  

... the only difference being the text colour of navy blue instead of teal.

Anyhow, like you say, it doesn't bode well for someone new that isn't accustomed to the erratic nature that can present.

I wonder how long this 'yay, your winning.... bid again' email will last before it's corrected.

From my perspective, if ebay and some here want to argue pedantic over ambiguous rules wording [such as valid reasons for bid retraction] then perhaps they should take a look at the use of language in the massive amount of emails they send out to all and sundry.  

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

@7606dennis wrote:

And I'll bet I can guess from which university they graduated . . .

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@pburn, @7606dennis,

It is not the Universities fault that many if not most of the students they accept, do not know how to write or spell.  We can blame that on the K-12 public education system.

"THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FOOLPROOF, BECAUSE FOOLS ARE SO DARNED INGENIOUS!" (unknown)
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I set my preferences not to show wining/losing statuses.  When I get an invoice, I open that.

But a month or two later I get emails from eBay asking me how I liked X, Y or Z thing I won/bought.

If I leave positive feedback, I liked it.  If I didn't I give it away or dump it on the Goodwill.

Now please go away.  Ebay didn't manufacture it, source it or list it.   The seller did all the work and I leave feedback for that.  Constantly messaging me with babble fluff doesn't make me feel better or want to buy more.  Misleading or misworded emails look more like spam or worse.  Jeebus!

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

@mudshark61369 wrote:

@pburn@, @7606dennis,

It is not the Universities fault that many if not most of the students they accept, do not know how to write or spell.  We can blame that on the K-12 public education system.

My post was a satirical reference to a particular university, now bankrupt, that has been in the news quite a bit in the last couple of years. It was a joke, albeit quite subtle--apparently too subtle.

But I definitely agree with your comment, Case in point--you might want to edit your post to:

• uncapitalize the word "Universities;"
  • make the word "[u]niversities possessive by adding an apostrophe;
  • set off the dependent clause "if not most" in commas; and
  • remove the comma between "accept" and "do."

Your comment should read something like this:

"It is not the universities' fault that many, if not most, of the students they accept do not know how to write or spell.  We can blame that on the K-12 public education system."

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Poor communication is not professional and does not give any buyer a good impression of Ebay.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes, and for 'professionals' and 'businesses' the expectation bar [standards] is reasonably set higher than applies to the likes of you and me.

No need for some to get pedantic at members here... focus that sort of thing [pedantry] at the subject here - eBay notifications / communications [including post replies here].

Agreed?

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Anyhow... good for a laugh, but I'd like to hit that 'Accept Solution' link.

That isn't going to happen until eBay advise us here it has been corrected.

I won't get onto the call Help/Customer Service line [merry-go-round] and waste time.

@....who    thinking

Message 15 of 15
latest reply