cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Back Better Again: Postal Rates to increase 60 cents

The newest rate increase "to balance the books" is effectively 60 cents a book for retail media rate: that includes the fees charged by eBay including sales tax on the shipping increase. 

It's a good thing that inflation is over and that the economy is in great shape, otherwise I might think this excessive price gouging.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Building Back Better Again: Postal Rates to increase 60 cents

You have absolutely no clue as to what ur talking about. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

It's called " delivering for America" and is the plan by Dejoy to better the USPS. He also has about 40 million invested in USPS competitors. So he stands to gain the most by USPS failing. Oh btw, he was installed by trump

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

UPS shipments are down this year though the union workers only get a nickel raise next year so UPS pricing should stay flat. They got a big raise this year.

With the USPS Ground Advantage move, USPS is landing a LOT of previous UPS customers and/or UPS customers are not using UPS as much.

The pack and ship drop off joints here in my area are seeing the same, a lot more USPS and less UPS. 

Posting ID
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

And they'll probably be reverting back ups when they realize ground advantage is much much slower that ups. Cheaper but slower. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@selsa84 

I always had USPS 1st Class Package and Parcel Select as sub-standard services. 

Now that so much is combined into GA, I have not been seeing any delays or issues this year on my GA shipments, with some having estimated times a day sooner than UPS. Seeing the same on AMZ estimated times as well and theirs are highly accurate.

I make no mistake that UPS is the more reliable service and they still get the expensive shipments though my threshold for using USPS GA has risen to about the $250 mark. It is a game time decision every day depending upon the product, destination and price. GA is killing UPS on quite a bit of the pricing for heavier and larger shipments that use to always go to UPS.

The people that know shipping already know the shipping times though I may be at an advantage shipping out of the DFW area as a great proximity. 

Price is a big player for me here and now.

Posting ID
Message 20 of 27
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

Well, DeJoy has been in office since May 2020, and so far he's batting zero.

Hardly. Service and Efficiency was shown by the effectiveness of the changes before this past holiday season.

The human sabotage of his equipment and sorting center redeployment of  the previous holiday season had passed. The equipment which had previously be running two to three hours per day was humming for several shifts and manpower needs were down.

Every DeJoy change has made it necessary for some postal employees to have to work harder each day, or reduced head count. Some postal centers have been more resistant to change than others. This time the resistance is taking place during a low volume season.

There are decades of featherbedding being ended at USPS and it is not surprising that many workers are doing their best to protect their cushy jobs.

My dad was a letter carrier deployed in a major sorting center, and I know how inefficient they have been for at least 50 years.

His changes will work because they make sense.

I am waiting to see what he does to post offices.

I live in a city of 22k people which has one PO. I have another house in a town of 1.2k people which has two P.O.s. In each of the neighboring towns there is one PO. Distance of one of their POs to one of our POs is about 5 miles.

I can tell when there is a USPS trainee on our route. (We have a training center in my city). The trainees actually scan on pickup, and will pick up without a request online.

More changes to come.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@taylor_memorial wrote:

Today I got a book in that was shipped "Bound Printed Matter" which is a rate nearly impossible to get and does not apply to books. 

Megasellers are feeling the pinch, too. 

Amazon offers BPM to its online sellers, as a choice with their buy shipping.

It does apply to books. Check the DMM definitions.

It does not automatically have return service, so unless the seller marks the package that they want return service if undeliverable, the package is destroyed.

It is not always cheaper than media mail. However it also applies to magazines and periodicals.

You do not have to be a megaseller to use BPM.

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

@tobaccocardyahoo 

DeJoy's changes to the New Brighton, MN post office branch which I regularly use resulted in a 2023 Congressional investigation, which uncovered tens of thousands of pieces of undelivered mail; postal employees who had spent more time AWAY from work than actually working; managers on extended leaves of absence with NO replacement managers; missing keys; parcels stored in unexpected areas; employees on the verge of retirement not permitted to use their sick time; employees not permitted to take breaks; unannounced and unscheduled closings of post office facilities; mail deliveries only 4 days a week; delivery drivers dropping mail accidentally outside their trucks, and refusing to get out of their trucks to retrieve the mail; excess instances of lost or mis-delivered mail and packages; delivery drivers not finishing their daily routes, since overtime was cut; and so on, and so on.

This was only a single Congressional investigation, which was instigated by a high volume of customer complaints regarding 4 postal units.

It will probably not be the last.

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

@1786davycrockett wrote:

@tobaccocardyahoo 

DeJoy's changes to the New Brighton, MN post office branch which I regularly use resulted in a 2023 Congressional investigation, which uncovered tens of thousands of pieces of undelivered mail; postal employees who had spent more time AWAY from work than actually working; managers on extended leaves of absence with NO replacement managers; missing keys; parcels stored in unexpected areas; employees on the verge of retirement not permitted to use their sick time; employees not permitted to take breaks; unannounced and unscheduled closings of post office facilities; mail deliveries only 4 days a week; delivery drivers dropping mail accidentally outside their trucks, and refusing to get out of their trucks to retrieve the mail; excess instances of lost or mis-delivered mail and packages; delivery drivers not finishing their daily routes, since overtime was cut; and so on, and so on.

This was only a single Congressional investigation, which was instigated by a high volume of customer complaints regarding 4 postal units.

I think you are making the point that change is necessary. The P.O. has been a sinking ship for many decades. If you had owned a failing business and employees were doing their jobs as you described they are at the Brighton MN location, how long before you end up going out of business? How long can you stand to lose money year after year? Change is needed and how the post office is funded should be examined. Is there a benefit for tax payers to continue funding or would privatizing help cut through some red tape with hiring/firing/restructuring? I hope it continues as originally intended for but it needs to make sense. The way its going i do not think it will be possible to salvage it without cuts/restructuring/privatizing.  😪

Personally i have seen some improvements with my mail being delivered/received over the last few years. Problems will always exist especially during a pandemic. Nothing is perfect. However it does seem like many of the USPS workforce do not like their jobs. Leadership can implement changes but if the retail employees (couriers, retail, sorting facility, drivers, not management) act the way they "allegedly" performed as you stated, nothing will change or be impacted. Some may argue if you implemented a minimum $50 hour for all USPS employees, nothing would change on how mail is delivered. (overall delivery)

IMHO i think the problem is bigger than the USPS. (Work ethic of many Americans) Most of us that post/sell here on Ebay work hard for ourselves, would not put up with any shenanigans. Our time is valuable and we are responsible for our actions. If we decide we hate/dislike what we do, many of us would find something else to do. Change is needed and much more change is coming to the USPS.

Some USPS employees may need to be promoted to customers.

Maybe its time to "Re Imagine" the P.O.

Term limits for all Federal Employees (4-8 years, especially the DMV) 😉

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

@chevymontecarlo88 

"if the retail employees (couriers, retail, sorting facility, drivers, not management) act the way they "allegedly" performed as you stated, nothing will change or be impacted."

The 2023 Congressional investigation provides substantial proof that the vast majority of problems at the New Brighton post office branch came about as a result of individual decisions made by management and supervisors -- not by the lower-level employees themselves, who were only following the dictates of their superiors.

And the DMV is not a Federal government operation -- it is an individual STATE government function.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

The 2023 Congressional investigation - no need to further this statement. Congress has been ineffective for decades as well. Changes to the work environment does not excuse bad behavior. Yes it can be difficult but it is a job/work.

And the DMV is not a Federal government operation -- it is an individual STATE government function. - I would expand term limits to State as well. 

I can empathize and understand your frustration but everyone (USPS employees from Top to Bottom) needs to be accountable. I think we all can agree on that and it should not be a political argument.

It appears you are a great seller here on Ebay. Great feedback and great listings. There is a reason why you do well. I would assume you work hard (great work ethic) and do your best to give the best customer service to your clients. I commend you for that and you should not be surprised of your results. If everyone took pride in their jobs and made the best of it, most of the problems would go away. IMHO.  Not being profitable is something none of us can do long term.

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

@1786davycrockett 

DeJoy's ability to clean house is highly limited and will remain so due to the political clout of the postal worker's union.

Expect the recent decision to move sorting from Hampton Maine to the Scarborough center to meet with similar resistance from the workers.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/news/local/usps-consolidate-mail-hampden-processing-facility...

Note how the union president feels the requirement for USPS to make a profit should be ignorned in favor of pleasing its workers.

Message 27 of 27
latest reply