satnrose
Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

Re: A book that looks like nothing.

My brothers and I were big into d&d, especially my youngest. I can almost guarantee that he has some of the first issues of this magazine in his bedroom at my moms house. But, my bro is dead and my mother and I are not on good terms.....

Message 1951 of 1,978
latest reply

Keraz:  So why are you waiting to get back on good terms with mom.  Life is too short.

Tell her you think your brother had some valuable books in his room.  Tell her you would like to look at them, sell them on ebay ahnd give 100 percent of the proceeds to her/brothers family/whoever besides you.

She might appreciate clearing things out, or the money.  And you might clear out enough room so the family could have a place to stay when you/they visit her.

Please do not think that you owe a response justifying the feud.  It is not our business.  All you owe me is a "thank you" response so we know you  saw this.  

Good luck.

Message 1952 of 1,978
latest reply

Newer editions especially paperbacks definitely pass (though even certain brand new editions are sometimes worthwhile. Older hardcovers I would say pre-1970's may be worth it in the right condition. We sold one of the anniversary editions for $50-75 (I just can't remember the exact price or anniversary year right now). It was faded brick red and massive. It weighed nearly a ton. Key is lots of photos especially illustrations and patience. There were other people selling it for $10-15 with free shipping but they only had a stock image. 

Message 1953 of 1,978
latest reply

Punch Volumes 166 & 167, comprising the Jan-Jun and Jul-Dec 1924 issues of Punch Magazine. The volumes are significant as they contain the original publication of 25 of the 45 A.A. Milne poems which were collected and published in book form as "When We Were Young" later in the year, November, 1924.

Notable on page 157 of Volume 166 is 'Teddy Bear' the first appearance of the famous bear who would later be known as Winnie-The-Pooh, with illustrations by Ernest Shepard. The poem is complete on one page, while in the book the identical poem was spread across seven pages (pgs 85-91) in "When We Were Young".

1924 Punch Pg 157 Teddy Bear Small.jpg

Message 1954 of 1,978
latest reply

A Wayne Thiebaud signed copy of O Beautiful For Spacious Skies sold on eBay for $395 last week. Thiebaud's illustrations augment the poem by Katharine Lee Bates. There are several first editions on the market for much less, however not signed.

Item 373841214204 sold for $395 on Dec. 31, 2021

Wayne Thiebaud ~ O Beautiful For Spacious Skies ~ SIGNED 1st Edition

Item Description:

"Wayne Thiebaud ~ O Beautiful For Spacious Skies ~ SIGNED 1st Edition hardcover with dust jacket."

Message 1955 of 1,978
latest reply

Doesn't exactly classify as a book that "looks like nothing,'' especially when it's signed. But interesting to note!

Message 1956 of 1,978
latest reply

While the $500 received for the top issue looks to be an aberration, I am very surprised that common issues of Flow Magazine are routinely selling for $20-to-$50.

Message 1957 of 1,978
latest reply

Surprising result with 3 bidders over $200 for Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle, by John Dutcher, which sold for $414 this week. At first I thought this was a fictional result, however cross-checked at ABE and found only three copies for sale, all over $300!?

Item sold for $414 on Feb. 2, 2022

BOOK: Ballard, The Great American Single Shot Rifle, John Dutcher

Item Description:
"Ballard : the Great American Single Shot Rifle

Author
John T. Dutcher, Charles G. Semmer
Format: Hardcover
Language: English

Xii, 380 Pages

Item Length 9.1in.
Item Width 11in.

Copyright Date 2002"

Message 1958 of 1,978
latest reply

After a little bit of web research, apparently Beyond Counting by James Grosjean is fetching over $500, as this one sale on eBay recently will attest. A couple of other paperbacks are currently offered for $$$, and the one hardback is $$$$.

The book is about beating blackjack and other Las Vegas games with advanced statistics.

Item 9780910575171 sold for 739.99 on Feb. 7, 2022

Beyond Counting RARE BOOK James Grosjean Trade paperback.

Item Description:

Beyond Counting RARE BOOK James Grosjean Trade paperback.

Message 1959 of 1,978
latest reply

Keep an eye out for Peter Brock's Daytona Cobra Coupes out in the wild, this one selling for something south of $800:

Item 194961342510 sold for Best Offer below $799.99 on Apr. 23, 2022

See the four being offered for sale between $1,500 and $7,500.

Message 1960 of 1,978
latest reply

This is curious: there's another Buy It Now offer right below for $239.00 SIGNED EDITION! Official SAAC Cobra & GT40 Registry sold by BRE Peter Brock | eBay & it's signed????? which still makes it worth picking up. Thanks for posting!

Message 1961 of 1,978
latest reply

There are a handful of first edition Caldecott Honor books published in the past decade which are selling for over $100, and in many instances over $200.

Surprisingly for several of the books, there are no first editions currently on the market, therefore definitely a bookseller's market. In the instances where there are only one or two copies on the market, the booksellers are asking for significant prices. As examples perform a search on ABE for Grand Canyon (Jason Chin), Crown (Gordon James), or Double Bass Blues (Rudy Gutierrez), make sure the 'First edition' tick box is selected, and sort from highest price to lowest.

The list includes the following:

YearTitleIllustrator
2014The Right WordMelissa Sweet
2014This One SummerJillian Tamaki
2015Voice Of FreedomEkua Holmes
2015Last Stop On Market StreetChristian Robinson
2016Leave Me AloneVera Brosgol
2016Freedom In Congo SquareGregory R. Christie
2016Du Iz Tak?Carson Ellis
2016They All Saw A CatBrendon Wenzel
2017Grand CanyonJason Chin
2017Big Cat, Little CatElisha Cooper
2017Crown: An Ode To The Fresh CutGordon C. James
2017A Different PondBao Phi
2018The Rough PatchBrian Lies
2018A Big Mooncake For Little StarGrace Lin
2018Alma And How She Got her NameJuana Martinez-Neal
2018Thank You, Omu!Oge Mora
2019Double Bass BluesRudy Gutierrez
2019Going Down Home With DaddyDaniel Minter
2020Me & MamaCozbi Cabrera
2020A Place Inside Of MeNoa Denman
2020Outside InCindy Derby
2020The Cat Man Of AleppoYuko Shimizu
2021Wonder WalkersMicha Archer
2021Unspeakable: The Tulsa Race MassacreFloyd Cooper
2021Have You Ever Seen A FlowerShawn Harris
2021Mel FellCorey R. Tabor
Message 1962 of 1,978
latest reply

These five Tattoo Times sold for $400 recently on eBay.

Item 255600037913 sold for $400 on July 2, 2022

Tattoo Time by Ed Hardy Complete Set Vol 1 to 5 Signed Tattoo Supplies Book

Item Description:
"books and magazines collectible Tattoo Time by Ed Hardy Complete Set Vol 1 to 5. Excellent condition. Vol 5 signed Very Rare!"

Message 1963 of 1,978
latest reply

The fact that this is a significant artist, a rather esoteric topic, & that one of these is signed all would automatically takes them out of the "looks like nothing" category. This definitely would 'look like something" to anyone scouting for books & printed material!  

Message 1964 of 1,978
latest reply

Here is one I was watching and hoping to snag, but it wasn't long before I realized this was too pricey for me.  It really doesn't seem all that special, but it's supposed to be a good reference book for early political items and it's out of print.

Item 354137983726 sold for $258.07 on July 16, 2022

A CENTURY OF CAMPAIGN BUTTONS 1789-1889 BOOK BY DeWitt - POLITICAL BUTTONS OOP

Item Description:

GREAT CONDITION ON THIS NICE APPARENTLY UNREAD COPY OF THIS GREAT OUT OF PRINT REFERENCE GUIDE MEASURING 6x9 with 420 PAGES OF ITEMS - many ILLUSTRATED. 

Message 1965 of 1,978
latest reply