cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can a buyer only pay $1.00 when the item was listed for much higher?

We have several items listed on our store, none of which have been ever listed for $1.00 and none are auctions. Somehow, a buyer was able to pay $1.00 for a $34.24 item and it was shown as paid by eBay. I messaged the buyer to advise that we were cancelling the order and now they want us to make it right. What is there to make right in this and how could something like this happen? Please help

Thank you

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How can a buyer only pay $1.00 when the item was listed for much higher?

@havenofgold 

What is the item number? There have been many pricing revisions on those one-ounce silver coins, so one  can't rule out a listing error. Barring that, it sounds like a data transfer glitch. In my mind, the only match to "1.00" would be a "quantity 1" from a multi-quantity listing that was transmitted to checkout over an interrupted connection, and this may be a rare one-off situation. I think the programmers would need to know whether the buyer used the Android app, iOS app, or desktop for checkout.  Can you find that out? Nonetheless, you would not need to "make it right" if the error was not yours and the buyer has not lost any money. But get the buyer's platform info first to so we can send some sort of error info to eBay staff and programmers. 

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for the info. This is the item number: 126366973847 this is the buyer's info. https://www.ebay.com/usr/san_592828 Where would I report something like this?

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@havenofgold 

I procrastinated just long enough to solve the mystery. While sitting here writing up the possibilities, I was sent an automated offer because I looked at your listings 2 days ago.  You'll need to have a long talk with your computer.

Offer - automated for lookingOffer - automated for looking 

Additionally, I tried to decline the offer, but at that same moment, the item had just sold, so you may have another one-dollar sale to deal with.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oooof!

One more reason not to enjoy the automated offers.  They can quickly spread your setting mistakes.

Gator08041971  •  Volunteer Community Mentor 2024
Member of eBay since 2000

Message 5 of 5
latest reply