cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheated out of a buying opportunity

A few months ago, I made an offer to buy an item.  The item being sold was particularly undervalued.  I knew this, although I was uncertain that the seller did.  The offer I made was a bit less than the sellers suggested sale price.  The seller accepted my offer and I promptly paid via PayPal.  When my purchase arrived, it was not the item I had purchased.  I contacted the seller and he  provided a return shipping label and provided an explanation that he had, for the first time in his life, mixed up shipments and offered to refund my purchase price and, when the item I had bought was returned to him, he was offer to sell it to me again.  Suffice it to say, while I did receive my refund, the story the seller gave makes no sense.  I think he figured out that he undervalued the item and set in motion a subterfuge to avoid the sale in order to sell it to someone else.  What bothers me is the fact that the seller deprived me of my opportunity to purchase the item and there are few items like it being sold anywhere.  I have been trying to contact Ebay to speak to a customer service representative about this issue, but, because it is unique and not pigeon-holed within Ebay's set categories, I cannot get any response.  Any suggestions on how I can contact a human being with the Ebay "borg" for some genuine assistance?  

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Cheated out of a buying opportunity

@19ian58 ,

You won't like the answer. eBay will not take any action because the seller has not violated any policy. They refunded once they received the returned item and that's all eBay requires sellers to do. I'm sorry this happened.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Thanks for your input.  I understand, but it still bugs the heck out of me.  The seller has made so many contradictory statements about why and how the item was not delivered, his deceit is palpable.  I have remained friendly to him and, every now and then, contact him through Ebay about the status of the item he promises to sell me again, if it's ever returned to him.  If canceling a valid auction contract with a complete refund is not a violation of Ebay rules or policy, why weave yarns?  Just tell the buyer, "sorry, someone else offered me more."  The only problem with this policy is that it encourages and aids and abets breaches of contract, which is against the law.  Oh, well....  Does any Ebay representative want to chime in?

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

@19ian58 

There are no eBay staff members here. eBay has no way to force any seller to ship the item the buyer has purchased. eBay is only an online selling site and they don't control a seller's items. There are consequences when a seller doesn't perform and that is given as defects. If a seller receives enough defects they may be restricted or suspended.  Your option is to leave appropriate feedback. Keep in mind that sellers review the feedback left by buyers so be sure your feedback comments are calm and factual. Again, I'm sorry this happened.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 4 of 4
latest reply