cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does your art training come from?

I was just wondering where people got there art training? Did they go to Art School, Major in Art in college, just a hobby or just born with it??? -Kevin Johnson --
Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re Where does your art training come from?

Rick, that sounds more like a "guide" than a thread. What great information!!! Hmmm...might be a thread too. How about if I create a thread entitled "Recommended Reading for Artists" and we add books there...then the mods can keep it edited into one post for easy reference, like Patricia does the name list. Would you be willing to contribute there, Rick? That would be great. Hmmm... Great idea!!!! you da bomb! -- •:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•. :-x

•:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•.

http://www.kellyscolorstudio.com
Message 136 of 154
latest reply

Rick, I found a thread that was already book oriented. I set it up,you don't have to re-post the ones you have here, I'll move them over, but if you have any more please feel free to post them here: http://groups.ebay.com/topic/Aceo-Art-Cards/Artwork-Tips-Techniques/Excellent-Books-Artists/15007661... -- •:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•. :-x

Message 137 of 154
latest reply

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
I saw that thread today and posted to it! I've got a number of favorites and my most favorite have been replaced four or five times. I keep giving them away to beginners when trying to explain something, or if I'm moving away and can't keep tutoring them, when they're about half worn out and the binding is just starting to get loose, then buy a new copy. I can't stand to watch a favorite book disintegrate. I got "Drawing the Head and Figure" by Jack Hamm as a kid in high school and shortly thereafter bought "Cartooning the Head and Figure" at the same store because I liked it so much. I didn't discover the other two till 2004 when I was browsing Amazon to replace a copy of Drawing the Head and Figure, and had to have the one on seascapes and landscapes and the one on drawing animals. The result has been that my landscapes improved a thousand percent and my animal drawings seriously improved too. I actually started to "get" waves and shorelines instead of drawing them stylized and unbelievable. I stopped just drawing water blue. Uncle, that rocks! Your college career is so amusing the way you put it. One short paragraph and you had me rolling on the floor laughing. I flunked an art minor on campus size and know what you mean about never making it to class. My college classes were almost all Art History, but I lucked in high school where my teacher's main ideas were "Do whatever you want, try anything" and he provided a wide variety of new mediums and cool prompts and ideas. We did grid portraits from photos, we did a lot of classical drawing exercises, but we also tried things like etching where the equipment's expensive and hard to justify for anyone but a professional artist. (One with some muscle at that, the process was too physically intensive for me without help.) -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars
Message 138 of 154
latest reply

bro_kirk
Enthusiast
i used to love the foster books
Message 139 of 154
latest reply

kengillam
Enthusiast
I started when I gave up competative sailing, self taught 10% inspiration 90% perspiration 🙂 Read a lot of books from the library.
http://www.artyman.co.uk
Message 140 of 154
latest reply

jmkosm
Enthusiast
john nagy....
Message 141 of 154
latest reply

my first official art training ----drawing architecture on Royal Street in the French Quarter.... me and a friend her name was Idus had to escape the art school where were stuck in the childrens classes at John McCrady ----it was a professional art school and we were not allowed to advance to oil painting until we proved ourselves in childrens deivision ----so we travelled about with our Grumbacher steel paint boxes admiring the street artists all along Jackson Square on the way to Dixie art supply to admire the supplies and kill time--we hated drawing and only wanted painting ----but to qualify for oil----we had to produce drawings- now of course we each of us had been painting in oil and esp. paint by number years and years--- we lives our lives around pictures----Idus's mother would say to me every chance that Idus will be famous but not you Sarah we would just find stoops to sit on and draw buildings -----deep on Royal was good so as to avoid tourists I never understood the need for architectural perspective--- I would draw the buildings using aerial perspective ---then with a ruler I would add the lines (as tho I had relied on linear) so that the teacher was satisfied with my work---I knew to draw the lines of perspective with a light touch by the way so as to appear professional what ever that means---I was 12 to save money for art supplies we spent only the tiny amount for a paper bag of fries--- at the Clover Patch--- altho our folks of course sent us with enough money for sandwiches -- Edited by art*bird at 01/30/2008 10:07 AM
Message 142 of 154
latest reply

oh yes john nagy---absolutely nagy---he was like vodka to a drunk
Message 143 of 154
latest reply

bro_kirk
Enthusiast
you mean he has no color yet numbs the mind? uncledrunk
Message 144 of 154
latest reply

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
Uncle, I loved the Walter Foster books. I used to find some cheap in used bookstores, still have a few of those. And just got one on eBay recently, the colored pencils one by Morrell Wise. art*bird, oh you bring back the days! I remember Dixie Art Supply in the Quarter. That was the shop where I always drooled after the giant set of 525 Sennelier pastels in a wood box, that all the Jackson Square pastelists had either that or the 250 color wood box one. I will buy that pastel box someday, probably when I sell an art instruction book. I loved hanging out on Royal and drawing the architecture. Must have been frustrating with those limits in art classes. I hated having to take a ton of prerequisites to get to life drawing, only to reach the semester I qualified to take it and find they weren't offering it till after I left. I wasted so much time in art history classes and art classes that weren't very helpful waiting for the one where it wouldn't have mattered if the teacher was any good -- life drawing I'd get real models, that was what mattered. And never got to take it. -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars
Message 145 of 154
latest reply

ticatoon
Enthusiast
I started drawing when I was four years old. I started taking it seriously when I was mine. By the time that I was thirteen I was entering local art contests and even winning a few of them. I went to the Kansas City Srt Institute class of '76. Then I went to work as a draftsman, where I earned a decent living gor about fifteen years. I joined an artist co-op in the mid eighties whwere I sold quite a bit of my work. I moved to Florida in the early nineties and did art shows and tent events. Along the way I became a caricature artist because it was a fairly good and steady income. After the hurricanes in '04 I moved to Louisiana with the intention of working of the fence at Jackson Square in the French Quarter. Two more hurricanes later.... I am still working there. My formal education has been quite useful, but I find that the best way to become a great artist is to just keep on doing art. Currently, I am exploring watercolor miniatures also known as aCEOs. happy painting. TICA
Message 146 of 154
latest reply

Bump...Bump...Bump

Message 147 of 154
latest reply

gooddealhunting
Enthusiast
I read. Tomorrow is my one month anniversary of learning how to create "art." I have read about 30-ish books so far, so I average about one per day. I have plans on taking an art class to improve my skills. One day I will triumph over all adversity to become a known entity within Colored Pencil art. Just you wait! -- gdh
gdh
Message 148 of 154
latest reply

'enry 'iggens, just you wait! Happy Anniversary, Shell.:-x And honey, in case you don't realize it, you ARE a known entity. Oh, perhaps you mean known for your art. That, too. -- ~ Marci ~ Click here to see my current listings
Message 149 of 154
latest reply

It's in my genes. My great Grandma was a famous artist. -- Duane aka MrParts Check me out: http://stores.ebay.com/The-Untied-Shoes-Store -- Edited by theuntiedshoesstore at 04/10/2008 7:15 PM PDT
The Untied Shoes Store (Closed the store, selling regularly)
Message 150 of 154
latest reply