cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selling aceos

I asked about ACEO's on a craft forum that I frequent .This is a partial quote from her reply when I asked about ACEO's... ~~ "These are actually one of a kind cards that are supposed to be traded and not sold amongst "altered art artisans" around the world" That got me confused .... Can't artists buy each other's stuff ? Someone else also said "The REAL Artists don't sell on E Bay". HUH ? Where else do they sell or trade ? Boy -- this should teach me not to investigate. I have so many ideas buzzing around in my head (ouch)I'm anxious to make some cards! LOL ... Thank you all for letting this newbie pester you !!! (hugs)
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re Selling aceos

The galleries I used to deal with took 50% standard, or actually they marked up my price double. The nicer galleries that actually could sell my work often marked it up 2.5, meaning the sale price was 2 1/2 times what I wanted for the item! This made me feel like in order to even have a chance of selling, I had to accept a price that was about half or less of what *I* really wanted for an item. Most of what I had in galleries was bronzes, the cost of production of which was enormous! So on a gallery sale price of $6,500., my cost (because I did half the work myself instead of paying the foundry to do it) was $1,350, whereas if the foundry did it all it would be $2,250. PLUS figure in all my time involved in pouring the wax, retouching, chasing and patina and mounting the finished piece. So they would get $6,500, I got $2500, minus my cost = $1,150. for my original effort plus the time to make the reproduction. If I'd had the foundry do all the work, I'd have made and paid taxes on $250 "profit" on a $6,500. item. They got $4,000 and yes, they have overhead, etc., but they did no promotion or advertising for me either. I quit in 1998 because I couldn't sell enough at those prices, even though it went all over the world, and I had to go get a "real" job, 2 in fact. I despise galleries!!!!
Message 31 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

ticatoon
Enthusiast
I have been a self supporting artist for about twenty years. I have sold at art shows, juried art events, gallerys, artist co-ops, street events, theme parks and in artist colonlies. The art snobs need to get over themselves. There is a certain amout of hustle that artists have to put up with to survive. Artist who only sell in some prefered environment probably have other income.... in other words.... they might only be hobbiest or amatures. Most art snobs are clueless anyway. We who support ourselves with our talent must be patient with these people, as it is their money that so often pays our bills.
Message 32 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
I liked reading this thread and finding out what happened to the art snob who said that. I've seen real artists sell on eBay. Sometimes the same artists who sell in galleries sell on eBay. Same with the French Market -- when I was in New Orleans, the Quarter artists were out on the streets, some on Jackson Square with A licenses, others in B locations like mine. I had stuff in galleries down there too. Where the art is sold does not make someone an artist or not. It's the same kind of specious argument as "real men don't eat quiche." It's a social attack with no real basis for it -- because throughout history artists have been using many different venues. Some sold art to patrons and wound up supported for years doing long commissions. Others sold art to churches, others to individuals, some do art for reasons of religion or tribal custom, tribal art is always something very different in its motivations and its traditions. Yet we're all artists. It's human to create art. Even saying that people who don't have to sell their art are amateurs is something else -- they're just artists who choose not to sell their art. They may be doing something else for a living or may just like the freedom of being able to paint whatever they want without regard to what buyers like. It's good for any artist to do a few pieces without intending to market them, helps prevent burnout. But that in itself is like the Olympics being for "amateur" category, a person who's not doing it for money could easily be just as good at it as someone who is. It's a life choice whether to make art an occupation, a hobby or a passion that has nothing to do with selling. It's not a measure of quality. Some things are subjective. Some types of art are more popular than others in different venues. Some subjects always are more popular than others. Same with mediums, same with techniques, a lot of things. But it's all art to me and even the types of art I don't personally like, they're still art and the people doing it are artists. -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars. Search on Robs Art for all my art listings.
Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

We who support ourselves with our talent must be patient with these people, as it is their money that so often pays our bills. AmEn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *rolling eyes* -- •:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•. :-x

•:*¨¨*:•.~Kelly~.•:*¨¨*:•.

http://www.kellyscolorstudio.com
Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

thesilvergardens
Enthusiast
Dictionaries first 2 definitions of artist 1. a person who produces works in any of the arts that are primarily subject to aesthetic criteria. 2. a person who practices one of the fine arts, esp. a painter or sculptor. So what is a fake artist and who is doing the deciding? ?:| Jamie
Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
The same French-food hater who said "real men don't eat quiche?" (My daughter is a pastry chef, and if she puts anything in a piecrust I'll probably eat it.) -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars. Search on Robs Art for all my art listings.
Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Re Selling aceos

robertsloan2art
Enthusiast
It's so tempting to put that as page one of the art section on my Art 'n Writing Website when my daughter gets the time to make that up. "Hi, I'm Robert A. Sloan and I'm a Fake Artist. I actually drew all these things and sell some of them, especially ACEOs, and some people call me a fine artist, but actually I'm just a science fiction writer..." -- robertsloan2art -- original ACEO, OSWOA and larger artwork. A big part of life is recognizing that creativity is human. It's not limited to a special Talented few gifted and cursed by the gods to become high-paid superstars. Search on Robs Art for all my art listings.
Message 37 of 37
latest reply