cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpaid Item

We’re testing a new feature that requires buyers to add a payment method on file before making offers on Best Offer listings. After you accept the offer, eBay will collect payment from the buyer’s payment method automatically and buyers won’t have to return to eBay to complete the purchase.  We will continue to roll out this feature to most Best Offer listings over the coming weeks.

Once launched, these changes will apply to most buyer offers, so you won't need to update or make changes to your Best Offer listings. We’re also working on adapting this feature for seller-initiated offers and counteroffers.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-48 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Unpaid Item

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Changes to Buy It Now purchases
When purchasing a Buy It Now item, buyers will be taken directly to check out, where they’re required to provide a payment method in order to secure the item.

Does that mean eBay is going to force immediate payment on Buy It Now items and remove the ability for sellers to make that choice themselves?

If so, how will sellers be able to combine items and invoice buyers before payment on BIN items?

Hi @valueaddedresourceThe option to add an item to the cart is still there - there are no changes to that experience, so buyers will still be able to put multiple items together for a combined invoice

Thanks seller_update@ebay  but to echo @my-cottage-books-and-antiques on this - just to confirm, will the option not to require immediate payment on BIN, whether for single or combine shipments, still be available on the seller side?

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

seller_update@ebay 

Please indicate WHY eBay does not sanction non-paying buyers as opposed to this punitive program for long standing sellers/buyers who DO pay for their purchases.  As a 25 year old ID with a few thousand feedbacks, the ability to combine items when making more than one offer to the same seller is an insult. 

The 'new' screen you are showing allows buyers to fill in the form, and when submitted only then they find out that multiple offers will not work.  At least put it up front so we can back out right away. 

I do realize that eBay makes more money when each accepted offer is a separate transaction,  gets the 30 cents per, instead of one, sells more shipping labels, and collects more fvf when combined shipping is made impossible. 

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

@valueaddedresource 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

"We’ve already taken steps to reduce unpaid items for Buy It Now sales, and we’re now working on extending... "

I believe this has been in effect for some time.

My older experience was that BIN opened a confirmation window for the purchase, and then the item went into my cart for payment. But if immediate payment was required, I was taken directly to checkout, and if not paid, then there was no purchase and nothing went to my cart. 

My recent experience is that when I use BIN (whether immediate payment or not), I am taken directly to checkout. If I do not complete checkout, it does not go into my purchase history.  There is no sale and it does not go into my cart.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 18 of 22
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

@valueaddedresource 

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques 

"We’ve already taken steps to reduce unpaid items for Buy It Now sales, and we’re now working on extending... "

My older experience was that BIN opened a confirmation window for the purchase, and then the item went into my cart for payment. But if immediate payment was required, I was taken directly to checkout, and if not paid, then there was no purchase and nothing went to my cart. 

My recent experience is that when I use BIN (whether immediate payment or not), I am taken directly to checkout. If I do not complete checkout, it does not go into my purchase history.  There is no sale and it does not go into my cart.

Interesting - thanks for the info @shipscript !

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

@shipscript wrote:

I've experienced the same thing you described.

It's not a new concept, either. Going back several years you can easily dig up info about "forced IPR"

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 20 of 22
latest reply

When purchasing a Buy It Now item, buyers will be taken directly to check out, where they’re required to provide a payment method in order to secure the item.

Does that mean eBay is going to force immediate payment on Buy It Now items and remove the ability for sellers to make that choice themselves?

If so, how will sellers be able to combine items and invoice buyers before payment on BIN items?

Hi @valueaddedresourceThe option to add an item to the cart is still there - there are no changes to that experience, so buyers will still be able to put multiple items together for a combined invoice

Thanks seller_update@ebay  but to echo @my-cottage-books-and-antiques on this - just to confirm, will the option not to require immediate payment on BIN, whether for single or combine shipments, still be available on the seller side?

That is correct @valueaddedresource.

Elizabeth,
eBay
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

elizabeth@ebay wrote:

That is correct @valueaddedresource.

Thanks elizabeth@ebay !

Message 22 of 22
latest reply