cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do if coin purchased seems to be fraudulent

I purchased an 1885 S Morgan Dollar as I was doing a track for its arrival period I noticed it was being shipped out of China which was not mentioned while I purchased it . I just received it today 04/18/2024 when I got it it seemed very light and too shiny compared to the origin picture when I was purchasing it . I weighed it on a digital scale and it weighs 20.7 Grams it should weigh 26.7 or so grams .  It’s almost like it’s made out of aluminum what should I do to A. Get my money back B. Get this seller of E-bay C. Make sure you know it’s from the country you are aware it coming from

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: What to do if coin purchased seems to be fraudulent

A US coin coming from China will almost always be counterfeit (a federal crime).

1) Go to the listing and use the report option.

When reporting the listing, select these options:
1. Copyright and trademark
2. Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
3. Counterfeit, fake, or replica items
4. "Continue" to open Comment box and report the coin shipped from China and is counterfeit.

2) If the seller has more similar coins for sale, report the seller for listing counterfeits.

https://www.ebay.com/help/action?topicId=4850 

3) You can leave negative feedback if you think it is warranted, since US coins shipping from China will be counterfeit with 99% confidence.

4) Open a return request from your Purchase History. Select the reason "Doesn't match description or photos".  Upload a photo of what you received. You can show it on your scale, if you wish.  In the comments, you can make your case about the coin being counterfeit. The seller will have 3 business days to provide a return label or refund. 

Most of these counterfeit Morgan Dollars don't even look like the real thing. If you have a real one to compare, it might help. The sad part of this is that you may actually need to ship a fake coin back that will be sold on the marketplace again, and once you are refunded, you won't be able to leave feedback. So the other steps are necessary.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply