The U's are up to bat this week!

• U.P.U. and U.N.;
  • Uruguay and Uganda;
  • Uppsala and Ulster;
  • Umpires and Unions;
  • Ultramarine and Ultraviolet;
  • Unexploded and Ungummed;
  • Unused and Used.

The T's did well last week.  There were lots of interesting and unusual posts - things we didn't know and things we haven't seen.  Let's keep up the good work with more posts and even more participation.  We now have 57 people signed up and even more watching from the balcony.  Maybe some more of you will join us this week!

jimbo

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Uruguay 1928

During the 20th Century Güller, the maker of Swiss postal cancels, made cancels for a few Latin American countries. Uruguay being one of them. There were ten cancelers made and used. (See scan.)

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Ungültig from Utrecht, Holland to Basel 1915.

Swiss used postage due stamps starting in 1878. When the tax was uncollected for any reason, the items were returned to the post office and the accounting clerks recorded that the money had not been collected. The items were then marked - UNGüLTiG - meaning uncollected. In this case the addressee refused to pay and even had a rubber stamp telling the reason for not accepting the item.

Annahme verweigert weil mit Porto belastet - Acceptance denied because charged with postage. And signed by addressee.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

What showing of "U" would not be complete without a United States No.1

It is the  latest addition to my U.S. Collection, that I picked up a couple weeks ago.  I won it on a Sunday and quickly listed my old used one for sale that night.  I woke up the next morning to find that someone had bought it.  I sold it for the same price that I paid for the this one. It's a no gummer but I think it's a pretty nice copy.

1us1.jpg

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I'm not really a cover collector but like covers bearing stamps that were valid for use on only one day.  Here are a couple of Uruguay  air mail covers sporting such stamps. Uruguay is one of my favorite countries to collect, regular issues can se seen here.   My favorite page can be seen at the bottom of this post.

uruguayc01aa.jpg

uruguayc01a.jpg

uruguay06.jpg

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Today in Postal History

October 8, 1898

Montevideo, Uruguay, to Hong Kong
116 years ago today.

U is for U.P.U. and Uruguay

This U.P.U. postal card has an interesting address. Capt. H. Kock, Deutsche Dampfer (German Steamer) Tai-Fu, Herrn Meyer & Co., was the master of a German vessel in Asian waters. The Tai Fu was active in Pacific trading for decades with calls at ports on the mainland, Japan, Hawaii, and the U.S. west coast.

Despite all the clues, I have been unable to find any definitive information regarding the captain or the ownership. I suspect that Meyer & Co was a commercial trader who represented the ship in Hong Kong. I did find references to Behn, Meyer & Co. - an growing German Singapore trading enterprise whose "business interests expanded to include the chartering of ships, insurance, and coastal shipping. The firm also sealed important deals with major shipping lines like the Norddeutscher-Lloyd." Whether this firm is related or not is problematic.

The postal card was cancelled in Montevideo on October 8, 1898. It was received in Hong Kong on December 5 - a transit time of 61 days. That doesn't sound too bad for a trip from the east side of South America in the south Atlantic to the west side of the Pacific.

jimbo

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Today in Postal History

October 11, 1899

Labuan, to Kotagala, Ceylon
115 years ago today.

U is for U.P.U.

101199labuana.jpg

A previously unused Labuan U.P.U. 3c Queen Victoria reply card was uprated for this usage. The card has been uprated by an 1897 North Borneo 1c Dyak Chieftan design printed in lilac and black with a 'LABUAN' overprint (Scott 72).

There are three single rim Labuan CDS for October 11. The next stop was Singapore on October 14, then on to Colombo, Ceylon, on October 21. Finally, on October 22 it was received in the village of Kotagala in the tea-growing district in the central highlands about 50 miles east of Colombo. Tea is the heart of the culture here.

jimbo

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

A bit late posting this week just back from a USA trip around Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia for business.

I will follow Jim's example and ... U is for UPU with a 75th anniversary from Hong Kong

UPU-cover.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Celebrating the Post Office Jubilee for Uniform Penny Postage

Uniform-Penny-Post.jpg

Cheers
Peter -British Central Africa - Follow the logo for the Yellow Boxes
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

U is for St. Ursula, whose 11,000 virgins Columbus named the Virgin Islands after in 1493.

Early Virgin Island stamps depict St. Ursula in various forms.  Here is a sheet of the 1887 1 penny stamp along with plating information.  Some of the distinctive features of each stamp are quite minor.

1d Sheet.jpg

Several varieties can be found on the 1899 Ursula including mis-spelled words and imperforate margins.

Ursula 1899.jpg

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

U is for ...

the U.N. building in New York.

11 6 New York UN Building DH error_027.jpg

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Here's the other side of the postcard, with info on the U.N. stamp.

11 NY to 33 OR 2 back.jpg

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

U is for...

Use Brylcreem. Gals will pursue ya!

Use Brylcreem Meter NJ.jpg

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

U is for... (last one)

Upper Bongoland

(from a scan I saved from claghorn1p back in the chat board heyday)

Upper.Bongoland.jpg

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

U is for United Nations

Over the years, the United Nations has used meter indicia to publicize various United Nations events and organizations. Collecting the first day of use of these commemorative meters is an interesting United Nations sideline. Here are collages for 26 such meter first days of use.
10 from 1969 to 1972
unmeterfdc69-72-2x5.jpg

6 from 1973
unmeterfdc73-2x3.jpg

10 from 1974 to 1978
unmeterfdc74-78-2x5.jpg

jimbo

Message 15 of 17
latest reply