cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stamp Collection Value?

I have a collection of stamps and first day issues that were my great grandfather and then my grandfathers.  I know some of them date back to the late 1800's.  I have no idea how much they are worth or who to talk to them about??  Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. 

Spence~~

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Stamp Collection Value?

Are these US stamps and covers? Pictures are a must for identification.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Stamp Collection Value?

Spence,

First of all, a couple of suggestions.  As Randy has said pictures do help - they are worth a thousand words.  Generally, US first day covers of recent vintage (since WWII) haven't much premium value.  Generally collections which have had investment of cash, time and knowledge have more value.  Indicators such as auction receipts, literature other than just common catalogs, careful mounting, etc. help confirm the investment.

I would suggest you read the link called 'I Have This Stamp Collection. . . ' from my Introduction to Stamp Collecting.  It will give you some ideas about things that are important.

And always more words/pictures about what you have will help us give you guidance.

jimbo

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Stamp Collection Value?

Spence,

For the most part U.S. stamps after 1930 are worth only face value, if you use them on your outgoing mail.  
They are generally worth less when trying to sell them.  With few exceptions the vauleable stamps are in the 19th century.
Here is a link that shows all of the regular issues (or spaces for them) of the 19th century.
Most of the stamps 1870 and before have decent value After this date the value is mostly in the higher face value stamps especially 15 cent to $5 stamps.
In most cases unused stamps have much more value than used.  Before 1870 most of the stamps 5 cents and above have decent value.
If the collection has many stamps of the higher face values, then you likely have something worth in the thousands of dollars.  Many stamps have had multiple printings with slight differences in them.  This can be very confusing and often times means the difference between a $1 stamp and one that is valued in the thousands of dollars. 99.99999% of the time you will have the cheaper variety.
You can obtain copies of Scott stamp catalogs in most local libraries.  If your forefathers were serious they would most likley have housed them in a quality stamp album.
Going through the stamp catalog and matching the stamps up should give a rough idea of what you have.  Of course it is imperative that you understand that quality and condition is most important when determing value.  Even though they are fragile pieces of paper they should appear to be fresh.  When selling stamps you should only use the catalog as a guide line, expecting to get no more than 30% of catalog value for very nice items when selling them on Ebay or through an auction house.  You are likely to get around 5% from a stamp dealer.  It is not an easy thing to sell stamps correctly without much experience.  
Mitchell
The World of Stamps 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply