cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let's do something different this week: X, Y and Z .

Let's do something different this week:   X, Y and Z .

Philatelic items for most of the ending letters in the alphabet from U on are scarce.
So let's have two weeks with all the Xs, Ys, and Zs.  We'll also encourage new-found additions to past letters.

• Zanzibar and Yemen,
  • Zurich and Yonkers.
  • X-ray and Zylophone,
  • Yam and Zucchini,
  • Zebra and Yak,
  • Yamaguchi and Zaharias,
  • Zappa and Zarathustra.

BTW, we want to welcome all the new members of the group.  Nice to see both the old and the new faces.

One other item. Someone has requested help in finding a 'Springer' catalog of tax paid stamps on the Stamp Collectors Board.  If anyone can help, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

jimbo

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

From Blantyre, British Central Africa via Chinde and Zanzibar to Zürich.

Needless to say this a a very rare origin for a Swiss item that has a razor cancel used as a reciving date stamp/

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Zürich to Zürzach 25 January 1866. A double weight letter from a governmental agency. Blocks are very unusual especially on cover.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Y = Yukon, Canada

I wrote this up many years ago after buying it on eBay described as "Swiss 96a on cover", and no description! I sold it a few years later at auction in Switzerland for $350.

Posted  - Lausanne, 29 January 1902

Transit - New York Registery, 11 February (It would have gone ttrans-America by train to Seattle, then by ship to Skagway.)

Transit - Skagway, Alaska, 24 February

Received - Dawson, Yukon Territory, 4 March 1902

Forwarded to Hootalinqua.

It travelled by train from Skagway to Whitehorse, then by dog sled to Dawson along the frozen Yukon River. This route is about 460 miles [in eight days]. It was then forwarded back about 387 miles up the Yukon River  to its destination at Hootalinqua, no date. This would also have been via dog team.

Hootalinqua was an outfitting camp at the junction of a major tributary of the Yukon, and the location where many of the river boats were brought ashore for the winter. The following year a trail was built over the summer for wagons, and used in winter for sleighs, which was much easier travelling than in summer. Passengers on top of the sleighs had charcoal braziers under their huge skin blankets. Horses were used and made good time. Travel never started in the mornings if the temperature was -40° or less. It was too difficult for the horse to pull the sleighs. This cover transited the Yukon River during the few months of dog sled use. No short cuts!

January 24, 1902, from Dawson newspaper.

"Many lives have been lost [on the unsafe ice]. Two mail carriers were drowned and mail lost. . . . I have sent out about 17 letters this winter had replies from none, that is the worst feature of the country. It is not right and I do not think necessary. American mail comes as far as White Horse I am told and many times it is left there until the boats come in." The boats may not have travelled until May after the ice breakup.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Xania, Crete to Chiasso, Switzerland arriving 25 January 1921. Postage due 40 centimes after the Greek 25 stamp was insufficient. Modern spelling of this second largest city on Crete is Chania.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I have nothing of “X, Y or Z” to report.

How about a complaint instead? You zhould be used to me xpressing gripes by now.

Actually it’s not much of a complaint, only if this letter-writer below hadn’t been so LAZY he would have written his letter on the 5th of October instead of the 6th and I would have had something to bid on. 

balto.jpg

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I didn't mention that the Swiss cover to the Yukon cost me $5 with no other bids.

These kind of buys no longer happen on eBay. eBay truly is a world market. No matter how many people say they do not follow the "junkj" on eBay, the good items get quality bids and it is rare to "steal" a valuable item.   LOL

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

X as in

an X in the cancel.

bostonbrpktcover.jpg

Message 8 of 8
latest reply