cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

redirecting packages

So I won a bid on an item from a seller who has 30 day refund the item I won is for someone else and it is the wrong item as in I did not win the right thing  I already paid for it and Got a notification saying that the seller shipped it what I’m wondering now is can I just redirect the package back to the seller or do I have to wait to get the package before I can send it back to get my refund

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: redirecting packages

You have to accept the package and return it at your expense since you bid on the wrong item. The seller can withholding the original shipping cost from your refund too. Refunds are issued after the seller gets the item back.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@missjen831 wrote:

You have to accept the package and return it at your expense since you bid on the wrong item. The seller can withholding the original shipping cost from your refund too. Refunds are issued after the seller gets the item back.

Package redirection, aka intercept, costs money upfront. The one initiating it needs to pay with a credit card. One of the options is "return to sender". Since the OP would be paying money to return the package anyway I don't see why this is not an option.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

If you get what you ordered, even if you don't want it or feel you ordered the 'wrong thing', you should:

Keep it.

Give it to someone else.

Put it up for sale.

You should NOT obligate the seller to take a return.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@chrysylys wrote:

If you get what you ordered, even if you don't want it or feel you ordered the 'wrong thing', you should:

Keep it.

Give it to someone else.

Put it up for sale.

This is actually true and trumps any other "what should I do" speculation.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@gkyn29 wrote:

@missjen831 wrote:

Package redirection, aka intercept, costs money upfront. The one initiating it needs to pay with a credit card. One of the options is "return to sender". Since the OP would be paying money to return the package anyway I don't see why this is not an option.

He’s talking about refusing/return to sender and that won’t cost him anything. It would cost the seller, if anybody, depending how it was shipped. He’s not saying he’s going to intercept the package. 

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@gkyn29 wrote:

@chrysylys wrote:

Keep it.

Give it to someone else.

Put it up for sale.

This is actually true and trumps any other "what should I do" speculation.

Nope because the seller obligated himself to take a return when he chose to have a returns accepted policy 😉

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Do NOT refuse the package. You will lose your money back guarantee if you do. Accept the package.

Message the seller and explain what happened and that you wish to return the item. Be polite and hopefully you can work something out with the seller as returns will be counted against sellers now.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@kaelykat wrote:

Do NOT refuse the package. You will lose your money back guarantee if you do. Accept the package.

Message the seller and explain what happened and that you wish to return the item. Be polite and hopefully you can work something out with the seller as returns will be counted against sellers now.

I think that not as described claims/returns are 'counted against' a seller. This would be a buyer remorse return.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

OP, I understand you bid on the wrong item, but even if the seller takes returns, is it fair to want to return it?

As others have suggested, give it as a gift, keep it, donate it, or why not try to sell it yourself?  Bear in mind, this mistake can get costly for you since you have to pay for return shipping.  Just take what you paid for for shipping~that's what you will likely pay to return it.  

Be very careful that you actually want what you are bidding on, before placing the bid.  Many sellers are individual sellers here, and you cause great trouble for them when you cause this situation.  They have packed and processed your item for no reason, you have taken their item off the market for the serious buyer who will actually want it, and you have caused them to incur fees for something you don't want, and to then have to file a case to resolve this.  You can find yourself on seller's Blocked Bidder lists and be unable to bid on things you want.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@kaelykat wrote:

I think that not as described claims/returns are 'counted against' a seller. This would be a buyer remorse return.

That's true but I don't think that is the case any longer.  Recently sellers are seeing lack of sales and lowered visibility in response to buyer's remorse returns.  Thus many now believe that any return hurts the seller.

Also check the Summer Update.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

That's true but I don't think that is the case any longer.  Recently sellers are seeing lack of sales and lowered visibility in response to buyer's remorse returns.  Thus many now believe that any return hurts the seller.

---------------

Sales to seem to be slow for many, regardless if they have returns or not  but it is possible that any return affects search.  But I was referring to what it says in the summer update and that is just about not as described returns and inr claims.

Starting in July 2018, we will provide competitive insights with service metrics and peer benchmarks that will help you assess your performance. You can find the insights in a new section in Seller Hub called Service Metrics.

The metrics will show you:

• How often you receive return requests for "items not as described."
  • How often you receive buyer requests for "items not received."
  • Peer benchmarks—comparisons to sellers of similar items.
  • Insights into why buyers are making after-sale requests, and tips to reduce requests.

These metrics can help you reduce after-sale buyer requests, which are time-consuming, costly to service, and often result in refunded sales.

Starting in September 2018, if you have very high occurrences of these poor buyer experiences, you will be notified via email and may be subject to extended estimated delivery times and additional fees.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

---------------

Sales to seem to be slow for many, regardless if they have returns or not  but it is possible that any return affects search.  But I was referring to what it says in the summer update and that is just about not as described returns and inr claims.

Starting in July 2018, we will provide competitive insights with service metrics and peer benchmarks that will help you assess your performance. You can find the insights in a new section in Seller Hub called Service Metrics.

The metrics will show you:

• How often you receive return requests for "items not as described."
  • How often you receive buyer requests for "items not received."
  • Peer benchmarks—comparisons to sellers of similar items.
  • Insights into why buyers are making after-sale requests, and tips to reduce requests.

These metrics can help you reduce after-sale buyer requests, which are time-consuming, costly to service, and often result in refunded sales.

Starting in September 2018, if you have very high occurrences of these poor buyer experiences, you will be notified via email and may be subject to extended estimated delivery times and additional fees.

Just wanted to say......shame on eBay for this. They are encouraging returns and now they are going to punish sellers for taking them. I guess we should start encouraging everyone to arrange returns outside the return system now? But that’s not really the answer becausd how will the seller get a FVF credit? Cancel and say buyer requested it? 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply