cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are international rates so darned high?

It costs $20.40 to send a 5 pound Priority Mail package 2,800 miles from Los Angeles to New York City, and $53.96 to send it 140 miles to Tijuana. Why?

Why is international mail in general so much more expensive than domestic mail?

I get that moving anything across a border involves more agreements, more inspections, and more of everything else that costs money, but I have trouble believing that it makes that much difference. It's not like sending a package to another country is some esoteric thing that has to be figured out from scratch because no one has ever done it before. There is plenty of time and opportunity to streamline the process.

Looking at this from another angle: several companies sell inexpensive rice cookers. Typically they weigh 4 or 5 pounds. I can't find out where they are made but it's a safe bet that most of them come from China, Korea, or somewhere in the same neighborhood. Somehow the manufacturers manage to bring them to the U.S. cheaply enough that even after paying manufacturing and marketing costs as well as shipping they can sell them at retail prices of $15 to $40. In contrast, just mailing a 4 pound package from the US to China would cost me $61.85.

Again, I get that the situation is not the same. The manufacturer ships thousands of gadgets at once, and it doesn't care if they move at surface speeds. But again, it's hard to believe that those factors account for the entire difference.

Does anyone have knowledge or fact-based opinions about this? Could the Universal Postal Union be keeping international package rates artificially high for its own reasons, or for certain member states' reasons?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Why are international rates so darned high?

Sorry. eBay nor the seller has any control. You must ask that question to the carrier and your state legislator about reducing the rates.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

anywhere in US to anywhere in mexico.each country has a zone price.

george bush signed a bill that USPS had to pay retirement benefits in advance for like 50 years.

high price of international packages is two part.

USPS pays other countries part of postage paid.

it's where they can get away with gouge pricing.

product coming in the US come by boat with box cars then go by train.

i live 80 miles east of L.A.

i've seen trains go west,seams like 2 miles long with empty box cars.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

daydreamer, I know eBay doesn't set rates. Frankly, telling me that is insulting.

By the way, state agencies have nothing whatever to do with setting rates. Telling me to ask a state legislator is misleading.

I asked for informed opinions. Do you have one?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

USPS has a set rate they need to get to profit from a shipped item, then they have to pass on funds to the other countries mail system for them to deliver. Then when you consider the postal service has subsidized Chinese shipping for years they have to make that money up somewhere....

As for your rice cooker these are shipped in in bulk via shipping container on cargo ships. the ships can hold thousands of containers. It's fairly easy to see how they can afford to ship something and still profit from a low-cost item 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Basically ... you are paying postage for 2 separate Postal Services, plus intermediate services for international transport.

The UPU (Universal Postal Union - a branch of the UN)  controls "terminal dues" (negotiated rates between postal services).

Some history on the UPU

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Postal_Union 

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 6 of 6
latest reply