cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS is auto-correcting freight forwarder's address without my permission

The buyer uses a freight forwarder at Springfield Gardens NY 11413 and this address is shown both on Ebay and Paypal.  Reading through various posts, it appears this address is OK to ship to.  However, when I purchased and printed the postage label this morning, I was surprised that the USPS system auto-corrected the Springfield Gardens 22413-4001 address to Jamaica NY 11437, in spite of the fact that I did not click on the link requesting me to authorize the correction.  So I voided this label, then went to Paypal to purchase and print another label.  Again, the USPS system auto-corrected the address to Jamaica NY, although this time there was no notice whatsoever that this correction might take place.  In order to avoid losing my seller protection, I had no choice but to void that label as well.  I then canceled the transaction with the reason "problem with buyer's address".  Has this happened to anyone recently, and how were you able to resolve this.  Did you ship to Jamaica NY anyway? Did you ask the buyer to change this address with Ebay and Paypal to the Jamaica address? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: USPS is auto-correcting freight forwarder's address without my permission

@hd2614 

Was the street address the same?

I had an order a few years ago where it wouldn't take the address given with the payment and wanted me to change it.

I was give the same street address, but given two different towns and zip codes.

Did some searching and the location was the same, but they extended the city limits of one town to include the business in their town.

Even though it was 2 different towns and zip codes, it was the same place.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yes, same street address.  The only change is the town and zip.   You're probably right that the package would be delivered to that street address regardless.  Nevertheless, it is concerning that the city and zip are auto-corrected by USPS without my permission, and this appears to be outside of my control.   In the past, I have had infrequent instances of address discrepancies, but it was always my option as the shipper to edit the address.  What happened this morning is that both Ebay and Paypal showed the Springfield Gardens address, and this was changed by the USPS system after I purchased the label.  In retrospect, I should have previewed the label prior to printing, although I doubt I would have been able to edit the address in any way at that point.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You can always check this type of thing by looking the address up on USPS.com.  Zip Code assignments do change for a number of reasons, like a post office opening or closing, new neighborhoods or routes being assigned, etc.

https://tools.usps.com/zip-code-lookup.htm

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

You can beat the auto-correct by mailing it over the counter, but if the zip has changed it may show delivered to the corrected zip anyways. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

This is really odd because I have the exact city/zip change on a package I'm shipping to Springfield Gardens NY 11413 and the label got changed to Jamaica NY 11437.

Did your package get delivered or is this some sort of scam???

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I'm jamal y'all have my package that i never got it supposed to been sent to Washington D.C. i had my address on it and my street on it 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply