cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS delays, tracking not updated, numerous orders

Hello All,

I know the pandemic is messing a bunch of things up lately but I am curious to see if others are noticing longer than normal delays with USPS priority mail. This week I have had (that buyers have brought up to me) 10 packages drop off of tracking. It seems they end up arriving but instead of 2 days it is taking 8-10, with a 4 day drop off in tracking updates.

Is anyone else experiencing this right now or am I somehow getting very unlucky?

Message 1 of 135
latest reply
134 REPLIES 134

Re: USPS delays, tracking not updated, numerous orders

I sent out a book through Media Mail on April 2.  No tracking information, like it just disappeared.  Buyer requested a refund.  I sent a refund.  Fast forward to April 21.  Package is now showing tracking and is heading to the buyer!!!

Message 76 of 135
latest reply

My last 3-Day Priority order took 10 days to receive.
Message 77 of 135
latest reply

1 of the 2 packages finally got shipped (that is with first class). It took 2 weeks. The other one is still in the air in limbo.

Message 78 of 135
latest reply

In the same day a package moved from western ny to nj back to western ny.....ugh!

Message 79 of 135
latest reply

I have found the following to be helpful:

- Review your own shipping labels after printing, is the print crisp and clear, is it a good easy to read size?  Trust me, the savings on ink by using "draft" print settings are not worth it, I always print High Quality now.

- Phones today can scan a barcode label, try scanning the USPS barcode with it, did it pick it up?

- Labels stick better to plastic surfaces such as tyvek envelopes and tape, cardboard not so much.  A label that can come off during shipping can cause havoc for all sides.

- Help your postal workers by following the system, any time you have 3 or more outgoing parcels create a SCAN sheet.  If you're "dropping off" loads of boxes yourself (in some places they won't / can't scan) that they then have to scan one by one that's not really helping, find out how to ease their workload, talk to your postal service workers.

- Tiny boxes / envelopes (3 inches or less across, also 4x6 tyvek/kraft padded envelopes) get lost a lot easier, if at all possible use boxes at least 4x4x4 and envelopes at least 6x9 (yes I know it can raise the weight by an ounce and that can raise the price of postage too but it's something to remember, small parcels get lost).

When a package gets lost or loops once or twice or worse, try and recall the size and contents.

If it happens again, see if the two are comparable so if you can spot a pattern.

Patterning losses can help prevent future instances by identifying the cause of such loss.  

Don't always blame it on the USPS, that won't help, instead try and see if it was a specific size or type of package.

That's all I can think of but if anyone else has any ideas...

Message 80 of 135
latest reply

Everyone needs to be a bit more patient.  I'm waiting for packages too.  There are delays because of PO workers being out and some sick with Covid 19.  Other PO employees are probably staying home because of their risk factors.  Also the plane flights have been cut.  

Some customers just don't get the massive amount of mail that needs to be delivered every day.  Some don't watch the news or see reports of delays or trouble. 

Maybe a note to your customers that there might be a delay because of the crisis right now and to ask them to be patient, would help them understand why their packages aren't arriving on time.   I've sent notes to customers during weather events that slows down delivery and my customers were always appreciative and patient. 

Change the channel!
Message 81 of 135
latest reply

Also experiencing severe delays. Packages that were estimated for delivery on April 16th are only now finally arriving at their destinations. Im so appreciate that (most of) my customers understand that this is a USPS problem and not an irresponsible merchant problem. 

Message 82 of 135
latest reply

@vrie39 wrote:

I have found the following to be helpful:

- Review your own shipping labels after printing, is the print crisp and clear, is it a good easy to read size?  Trust me, the savings on ink by using "draft" print settings are not worth it, I always print High Quality now.

- Phones today can scan a barcode label, try scanning the USPS barcode with it, did it pick it up?

- Labels stick better to plastic surfaces such as tyvek envelopes and tape, cardboard not so much.  A label that can come off during shipping can cause havoc for all sides.

- Help your postal workers by following the system, any time you have 3 or more outgoing parcels create a SCAN sheet.  If you're "dropping off" loads of boxes yourself (in some places they won't / can't scan) that they then have to scan one by one that's not really helping, find out how to ease their workload, talk to your postal service workers.

- Tiny boxes / envelopes (3 inches or less across, also 4x6 tyvek/kraft padded envelopes) get lost a lot easier, if at all possible use boxes at least 4x4x4 and envelopes at least 6x9 (yes I know it can raise the weight by an ounce and that can raise the price of postage too but it's something to remember, small parcels get lost).

When a package gets lost or loops once or twice or worse, try and recall the size and contents.

If it happens again, see if the two are comparable so if you can spot a pattern.

Patterning losses can help prevent future instances by identifying the cause of such loss.  

Don't always blame it on the USPS, that won't help, instead try and see if it was a specific size or type of package.

That's all I can think of but if anyone else has any ideas...

I would never use ink on a package label. I recommend 4x6 thermal labels for domestic packages and toner on paper for international labels that go in clear customs envelopes.

Message 83 of 135
latest reply

I have several cases opened against me claiming they did not receive packages. One was media. One was first class. Both show in transit on tracking. Both were shipped by me the same day I received payment from the buyer.
Message 84 of 135
latest reply

I have several cases opened against me claiming they did not receive packages. One was media. One was first class.
Message 85 of 135
latest reply

eBay just "decided" an Item Not Received case against me, because of Media Mail delays.  Which is funny because they removed the negative feedback the buyer left because I was not responsible for the shipping delay.

It has been 11 Business Days, Media Mail estimates 8-10 Business days.  The item is still "In Transit" but I have now lost the item, the value of the item, the eBay fees, the PayPal fees and the shipping cost.  I guess the buyer will get the item for free when it is eventually delivered.  I'm not a store that expects to lose items every now and then, so I'm pretty upset about losing money.  It would be one thing to lose the item, but I lost more than the value of the item with all the fees eBay/PayPal kept plus shipping.

Pretty ridiculous for eBay to not extend the time frame before INR cases can be filed with everything going on because they seem aware of the impact of the pandemic since they suspended their phone support which is making this even more frustrating since I can't call support to discuss.  Probably won't sell on eBay again after this.

Message 86 of 135
latest reply

I am a buyer...and have filed a few INR cases in the last 2 months. I have been very patient with most sellers, because I used to be one. But when an item sits for over 25 days with nothing but the label being created, and the seller saying please oh please give us more time...(not pointing fingers at ANYONE here).

Yes, the Post Office is nuts right now, but....most of my items are getting through just fine. I feel some sellers (right now CA is a mess) are using the whole thing as an excuse. I could be wrong, and if I am, and the items ever get to me, I will cheerfully pay again.
Message 87 of 135
latest reply

Same here. Last month I had an order that didn't move past Memphis hub for two weeks. It was first class, but normally my first class packages get to the buyer within 3 to 5 days. Had to refund the buyer who really wanted the item bad. Told her if she got it later just repay me. She got the package after a whole month. Thank goodness she was an understanding person willing to take the time for all the back and forth emails and waiting it took to get her item. I probably spent a good 4 hours just messing with the mess up, including taking my actual body inside the Post Office to inquire about it.  And that was after I had been in self quarantine for a month and was just popping my packages in a drive thru box to avoid all the contagion. I've never had a package take so long to get there. And, of course, since it wasn't insured, the Post Office told me I was probably out my money and item.  Makes you gun shy, but everyone has a situation now days with the virus, and postal workers are no exception.  I am so glad I don't have to go out into the big world and can work from home instead during these times.

Message 88 of 135
latest reply

Was just informed by a buyer today that there was no tracking update on their purchase on 4/27. All 6 items I shipped on 4/28 have the exact same tracking. Looks like the backups aren't quite clearing up. Anyone else still having issues?

Message 89 of 135
latest reply

yes, still having backup issues on several packages, I've already shipped them out, but the tracking on all of them say that I've only created a tracking number and usps is still waiting to receive package. Customers are opening not received cases even though I'm sending messages that their packages are going to be late. What to do???

Message 90 of 135
latest reply