cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A

I'm in NY, buyer is in TX, and eBay is offering to sell me a shipping label for a USPS Priority Mail Regional Rate Box A for $10.42.

1. Is regional rate really available for this cross-country shipment? It would be weird if eBay offered a shipment method that won't work between the two zip codes.

2. Can I get one of these boxes at my Post Office? FWIW my sales are very low-volume.

Message 1 of 38
latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

What eBay offers for shipping is pretty accurate.  Of course you input the information (weight & dimensions) into the calculator then eBay will tell you the price and boxes you can use. Or you can use your own box.

You can order the USPS Boxes off USPS.COM if you need a lot.

Your local Post Office may or may not have that box.  My Post Office only maintains a few sizes so I ordered the various sizes off USPS.COM

Message 2 of 38
latest reply

Yes regional rate boxes can be used across the country. Your post office might have them. I had to order some from the USPS website and it takes a while. Remember since it is Priority the first 50.00 is already insured. I hope this helps 🙂

Message 3 of 38
latest reply

Thanks. Just learned that max available coverage on Priority Mail is $244 and item sold for $260. Maybe should switch to UPS.

Message 4 of 38
latest reply

What do you mean max coverage?  Insurance for USPS in $100 increments up to $5000 after $5000 insurance is available to $50,000 with Registar Mail.

Screenshot 2021-01-01 234425.png

Message 5 of 38
latest reply

When you purchase an eBay postage label, it will only allow you to purchase insurance up to the selling price of the item.  I see only one Sold item, which sold yesterday for $224, so that's all the insurance eBay will sell to you for that transaction, regardless of which carrier you use.  The postage amount that you pay is automatically covered if the package is lost, and not covered if the item is damaged.

The Regional boxes have an awkward name; they can be shipped to any ZIP Code. They do have a weight limit, which is 15 pounds for the "A" boxes. Your local PO probably doesn't keep them in stock.

Message 6 of 38
latest reply

Yes you can use Priority Region A boxes across the country. Your local will very unlikely have that box available. You can order the Region A boxes from the USPS website. They take about 3 weeks to arrive. 

Depending on what you are shipping the cheapest way to ship USPS is using Pirateship.com’s Priority Mail Cubic rates. There is no fee to use their service. It doesn’t matter you only ship 1 package there is no minimum. You just print the label from their website versus eBay’s and drop off at post office like usual.

Another tip if you have a package under 4 pounds that need to go out of the country their USPS Simple Exports rates will save you a bunch of money. 

Message 7 of 38
latest reply

The Regional A saves money on a shipment 3 lbs and over compared to paying regular Priority rates. 2 lbs and under you are always better off using regular Priority.  

Message 8 of 38
latest reply

If you are a new or occasional seller, I suggest you go the PirateShip.com and sign up.  It is free!

PS has a different business model but is extremely customer friendly.  The have cubic pricing on Priority Mail that CAN save you money on shipping.  They will show you all of the options and show why Regional Box many not be the best option.  Plus if you can figure out the soft pack game save even more money.

Set up PS and eBay sales are automagically uploaded to their platform.  When you buy a label there the tracking number is automagically uploaded to eBay, so easy peasy.

Just another thought as every dollar spend is a dollar less of profit!

Message 9 of 38
latest reply

Stamps.com still offers a free account for ebay customers. I have been using it for about 5½ years now and have shipped over 1,000 packages thru it without any problems. If I make a label mistake, I put in for a refund and I have always received it in 2-3 weeks, no exceptions. It says it is just for ebay orders but really you can ship any order. It has many shipping options, just about anything you can think of. Don't sign up for the $15.00 one by mistake. 

Message 10 of 38
latest reply

@threshold.sales.group wrote:

The Regional A saves money on a shipment 3 lbs and over compared to paying regular Priority rates. 2 lbs and under you are always better off using regular Priority.  

eBay shows Regional A $3 less than a medium flat rate box, fwiw, and my shipment will be under 2 lbs. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Message 11 of 38
latest reply

USPS Priority Flat Rate is fine for heavy items.  You get free boxes & insurance, but it's expensive.  First Class is cheaper & is just as fast.  Better for lighter items.  I'm retired from USPS.  I can mail up to 8oz for around $4.00 anywhere, Priority would cost me $8.00 +.  FYI

Message 12 of 38
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

I see only one Sold item, which sold yesterday for $224, so that's all the insurance eBay will sell to you for that transaction.

Yesterday's item sold for $224 but eBay says order value is $260.88. I see how it makes sense to insure at  selling price, not order value. Thanks.

Your local PO probably doesn't keep them in stock.

Ok, but would probably be smart of me to order 10 or so for future use, even if Pirateship.com doesn't use them.

Message 13 of 38
latest reply

The post says "regular" rates, meaning the zoned weights based on weight, not the Med FRB.  

The Medium FRB ($13.20 online)  is never cheaper than a Regional A box ($7.68 - $12.10).

The Regional A box is never cheaper than the regular postage rate for 2 pounds.  

If your package is under 2 pounds, then postage for either the Medium FRB or the Regional A box will be higher than the regular postage based on weight and Zone.

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 12.02.25 PM.pngOnline Priority Mail rates:

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 12.02.29 PM.png

http://pe.usps.com/cpim/ftp/manuals/dmm300/notice123.pdf

Message 14 of 38
latest reply

If your shipment is 2 lbs (or under) always look first to use a Priority Small Flat Rate Box or Priority Padded Flat Rate Envelope if the item will fit and can ship safely. The next option is calculated Priority Mail (regular priority) done by weight and dimensions.  For those 2 lb and under shipments the Regional Boxes and Medium Flat Rates will always cost more to ship than the alternatives. 

Message 15 of 38
latest reply