cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sold 7 identical items, but ebay only charged shipping for 1 item..

Hello

I had a listing for  wet location out door lighting .

Listing quantity of 7  and when the items were sold to one buyer, eBay only charged shipping cost of one item to the buyer.

Shipping was Medium Priorty box, that might fit two of these items but certainly not 7 .

Here is link to listing

Not the sellers fault, so I am not asking for more shipping.

Shipping all FedEx was only a 5 dollar difference after Ebay shipping  discount anyways.

I had a similar sale last year and was pleasantly suprised that combined shipping was calculated correctly...

Would like to avoid this in the future was hoping some one could clue me in on what I may have done wrong..

Thank you in advance.

Hudson 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Would like to avoid this in the future was hoping some one could clue me in on what I may have done wrong..

If you want to be able to charge additional using a flat rate box as an option, you would need to set up as flat rate shipping and then add the extra cost for additional items.    Or you could set up the listing with Priority Mail without indicating a specific service-  based on weight and then the shipping calculator would combined the cost of the total items purchased based on weight and quantity.

I hope your buyer is OK with you shipping from USPS to Fedex ....some buyers  might not like that for whatever reason. 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Not sure what to  make of your reply.

They both sound problematic to me.

More money charged to the customer and/or a loss for me.

I am going to spend some time with that first bit of advice though.

This experience reminds me of the old adage " Not enough time to do  it right, but enough time to do it twice"

Simple volume calculation...with the property of weight included...

Properties of   Flat-rate are fixed and a simple calculation would show that the 1260 cubic inches is not going to fit into the 440 ci of a medium flat rate box..

When using eBay's shipping label page,  FedEx and USPS, it will thow an error when the dimensions and weight properties  are out of bounds. So they have the computational and logic to execute  that operation afterwards, but not before hand???

Perhaps,  I should should pose this  question a different way.

Is there a way to post a listing, with multiple quantities,  where the customer only pays once I send them an invoice??

This way both me and the customer win!

Regards,

Hudson

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

I have a similar but different issue when eBay combines shipping for me. They double the weight, but not the dimensions. A 12"x12"x10" box that weighs 3# just becomes a 12"x12"x10" box that weighs 6#. Since I have to use a bigger box to fit 2/more items, this makes no sense. A 24"x12"x10" box that weighs 6# does NOT ship for the same price as a smaller box that weighs 6#, especially if it's going to the far corners of the country.

You can just say in your description that you combine shipping and ask them to message you for an updated invoice, or something like that--But I know buyers often want to buy now, pay now, and be done. They don't want to wait around for a reply or an invoice. And it could be enough to make them buy elsewhere.

One thing I'd definitely check though is on your listing, in the shipping section, make sure you don't accidentally have it marked that each additional item ships for free, or $0.00. (Go to revise your item, and you can see how it's set up.) And I swear, sometimes those little boxes magically change on their own. Like the 'Best Offer' box gets checked all the time, even though I don't select it. Just eBay being 'helpful' I guess...
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

When you add or update a listing to have a qty > 1 eBay adds a SECOND BOX for the ship cost for each additional item after the first.  The default amount that eBay fills in is ZERO!  I

f you have an automatic shipping discount you still have to fill that second box in with the correct shipping rate, and if you don't manually apply your shipping discount in filling this in you customer will not receive a shipping discount when ordering multiples of this item.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Is there a way to post a listing, with multiple quantities,  where the customer only pays once I send them an invoice??

I don't know why you are backing yourself into a corner by listing this item with a flat rate box. 

Instead, why not just list is as Priority shipping (don't specify a box) and then using the best Priority box available to once a purchase is complete?   Either use calculated shipping based on weight or use flat rate and add an additional cost on for additional items.   That would be the best way to set up your listing IMO.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

What?
Are you saying saying that eBay tacks on a shipping cost for each item that is sold, after the first item is sold...
7 items X $13=???
Regards,
Hudson
Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Hello and thank you for the reply to my post..
The idea of adding a note to telling customers to wait for invoice is the tactic I am thinking of the most..

Your last suggestion brought up another issue that I am having with the listing page..
The "Additional Item" property does not exist on my listing page..
When I first starting listing about 3 years ago, it was there and I used it...Now, after the change to the "NEW" listing page..it is not there.

Is it hidden somewhere ?
Regards,
Hudson

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

If you are using flat shipping with multiple quantities, it is there:

Screen Shot 2017-09-21 at 2.49.00 PM.png

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Well first off, I do not want to induce sticker shock.
Take the dimensions of a flat rate priority medium box and compare that to the shipping with your own box of the same dimensions, using priority mail.....At 4 pounds, it is 7 dollars higher....

Did the calculations yesterday..
I am looking for people to buy from me, not scare them when they see the overpriced shipping.

Secondly, you are the third person to suggest the Additional cost, additional item route...
That property no longer exists on the new listing tool/page.
It was there and after the " listing Tool" upgrade it was not..
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Well first off, I do not want to induce sticker shock.
Take the dimensions of a flat rate priority medium box and compare that to the shipping with your own box of the same dimensions, using priority mail.....At 4 pounds, it is 7 dollars higher....

That would entirely depend on location -  a medium FRB would be a poor choice for a 4 pound package that was going only a short distance.  But suite yourself however you want to price your items and shipping.  

Secondly, you are the third person to suggest the Additional cost, additional item route...
That property no longer exists on the new listing tool/page.
It was there and after the " listing Tool" upgrade it was not..

I just took that screenshot from the ebay listing page.   

Best of luck. 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

I just sent a screen shot from my listing tool...Not there..
But i did have a thought...What browser are you using.?
Message 14 of 16
latest reply

I'm using Google Chrome.

That additional cost box only appears if you have multiple quantities listed.  So if you just opened ebay's lister without inputing a quantity, it would appear like your screenshot. 

Message 15 of 16
latest reply