cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping cost dinged...ugh

What is wrong with people? Almost all my items go first class. I don't charge handling. If I make a mistake it is always in the buyer's favor. I've even upgraded a few from Parcel to Priority. All that and my shipping cost DSR is at 4.6. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Shipping cost dinged...ugh

That's a shame. 😞 All I can suggest is select the box to have the shipping cost printed on the label so buyers can see it actually cost what they paid (if they look), and maybe post that info about your shipping rates prominently in your listings. I think a lot of buyers don't realize how much postal rates have gone up recently. My sympathies!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

I think a lot of buyers are spoiled by what they see as "free shipping". Which we all know is not free, just added in to the item price.  Some feel that if they give 5 stars to a seller with "free shipping", they should not give the same to one that charges, even if it is actual cost.  Just the way it is. I'm just glad eBay doesn't grade us on that anymore.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Ummmm...

Free shipping would solve your problem.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@creoleorchid

Buyers cannot leave DSR's for "free shipping." I agree that including the First Class postage amount in the item price might solve the DSR issue, but it can cause other, worse problems. Like discouraging buyers from making multiple purchases . . . or from buying at all because the asking price is "too high" compared to comparable items. Then there are returns -- sellers cannot break out the mailing cost when making a refund unless the cost is itemized.

Still, 4.6 is an unusually low DSR rating so perhaps the OP's buyers are simply being nasty because they can. Or maybe the stars bar slipped to 4 stars, rather than 5 stars, and the buyer didn't notice. Believe me, it happens a lot! As a buyer, I've had all kinds of trouble selecting 5 stars and making it stick!

~~C~~
My Glass Duchess
Quoting Mom: In polite society, "hey" is for horses.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

You are right. I forgot they had disabled shipping DSR on  free shipping.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Ummmm...

And the open the door to a slew of other problems that Dutchess already pointed out.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Actually, free shipping works great if you're shipping to continental US only....
One less thing a buyer can complain about, too
🙂
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

I blame all those post office commercials on TV that make it sound like you can ship a pony from NYC to Hawaii overnight for $3 by using priority flat rate.  Buyers are always certain there is a cheaper rate out there somewhere and we just arent letting them use it.  Sigh.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I have a mix of free and charged shipping, and my shipping DSR waivers between 4.9 and 5.0 ... when charging for shipping:

1. I make sure the amount is shown on the shipping label ... so that the customer can see that it isn't free.   I've heard this can be risky if a delivery person doesn't know shipping rules, thinks I underpaid, and then charges the customer more (never happened to me).
  2. If under a pound, the shipping price will be .99, 1.95, 2.95 ... always under the actual price ... I use 1.95 a lot.
  3. Between 1 and 2 pounds, I usually charge 4.95 for shipping ... I have found that the average priority mail piece for 2 pounds is about 7.5 dollars, so I factor that difference in the price.
  4. Over 2 pounds, I usually charge actual shipping costs, and give a variety of shipping options (FedEx, USPS, UPS).
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

I have found that free shipping increases my profit.

And if you are having excessive returns, you are doing something wrong.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

"Actually, free shipping works great if you're shipping to continental US only"

What does the "continental US" have to do with free shipping?

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@sam9876 wrote:

Ummmm...

Not at this point. Now I need some 5's to get it back up there. I do offer the occasional free shipping on higher dollar items. That probably hurt me as well, since I have less input on that DSR. 

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Yes, 4.6 is low, but I'm a low volume seller. I'm only doing this part time to get rid of stuff. One or two nasty buyers can do some damage if they give me a 1. I was also slightly dinged on my As Described. I think I ran into at least one buyer who does not believe in giving fives. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@deep-garnet-red wrote:

@sam9876 wrote:

Ummmm...

Not at this point. Now I need some 5's to get it back up there..... 

Free shipping would get you automatic 5's.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply