cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Ebay, shipping packages "first class"?

I am fairly new to Ebay. I have a variety of items to sell and am looking at other people's listings for the items to get an estimate as to price and shipping.  I see a LOT of people offering free shipping of items, including plumbing fixtures, etc. and are stating that the shipping will be done via first class mail.  How can they advertise this when first class is limited to paper products in envelopes?  Does Ebay monitor this? Is this not a form of bait and switch, as the buy will be expecting items to arrive sooner?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

USPS eliminated First Class package shipping last July, by incorporating it into a service now known as Ground Advantage. As you noted, First Class now includes only letters and flats (AKA Large envelopes).  

I suspect that those Sellers who say that they're going to ship merch like plumbing fixtures via First Class are just plain mistaken; just ignore them and don't be influenced by them when setting  up your own shipping.  eBay doesn't monitor this, they let the sellers learn the hard way when they try to purchase First Class postage. And eBay does not permit sellers to demand additional postage from their buyers.

Looking at other listings might not be an effective way to set up your shipping methods. Instead, learn about the available options.  One very common strategy is to set up listings with calculated postage, based on the package's actual weight and dimensions, and let eBay figure it out.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

First class is not limited to just paper.  There were first class packages available for up to 16 ounces, but this has been renamed Ground Advantage.   The weight can now go over 16 ounces.  It is not bait and switch and I'm not sure why you are even saying this.  Sellers can incorporate the price of shipping into their prices and offer 'free shipping'.  

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

My reference to "bait and switch" was in reference to when a buyer may expect to receive their item.  First class would be flown to the destination and ground advantage would, of course, be shipped via ground transportation.  

Message 4 of 4
latest reply