cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help Shipping a large flat package

Need ideas to ship a large 22 X 28 inch large paper item flat for protection from bending, etc. Any help appreciated.  

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Re: Need help Shipping a large flat package

If I'm shipping posters or unframed artwork I'll find some double-walled cardboard scraps and cut them to size, leaving approximately 1" larger in each direction (so, 23 x 29 in this case) so that the poster can lay inside, the edge can be taped and the poster won't get damaged when the item is opened. If only one layer isn't rigid enough you may have to add more. Also be sure to not match up any seams. For example, if the seams are vertical on one side, make sure the other side is horizontal or otherwise it will ruin the integrity of the package and fold easier. Don't be afraid to place strips in an X pattern from corner to corner, either. Even with 4 layers or so it's still generally an inch thick or less.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Before offering advice:

Is rolling it out of the question?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Roll it up and mail it in a shipping tube. Be sure to tape over the end caps. Do not use the free PM tubes from the PO. They are easily flattened and easily bent. Buy the round ones. 

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I like both solutions above - I also recommend placing the item in an archival poly sleeve first, especially before placing in a tube. Your local art supply store might sell large sleeves one at a time, otherwise, you may have to purchase a packet from BCW or a similar provider. If you sell enough of these types of items (posters/art prints/maps), you will benefit having poly sleeves on hand and you can always adjust the price to include the cost per sleeve. If you are based in a large city, you might be able to find someone unloading sleeves at a discount or for free. I received new, in package large sleeves a few years ago via my local BUY NOTHING group. Good Luck!

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I suggest you roll and use a heavy mailing tube.  A large flat box is at risk from corners of other boxes punching thru it.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hello  - Thank you for your suggestions.  Can you advise who BCW is?  I am always looking for sources of Polyethene or Plastic shipping bags. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply