cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FedEx Shipping Overcharge

I have the same issue regarding a shipping overcharge dispute with FedEx (and one parcel with USPS, which overcharge dispute claim is still under review after more than 2 months) .

FedEx says I underpaid on a parcel shipped to CA. from MI. This is fully erroneous. Even the "Shipment and cost details" notification shows the error:FedEx Shipping Overcharge.PNG

It states that the billable [dimensional] weight is up to 2.00 lbs. The weight of the item was 1.44 lbs. Yet it states right in the notification that "the carrier has reported that the weight of your package was 1.30 lbs." So according to this notification, the parcel weighed LESS than what FedEx is reporting and overcharging me for. AND the original shipping value was STILL within the billable range for this parcel.

I even did the obvious and normal check to see whether I was indeed correct in my input of the dimensional weight fields by relisting the item and entering the buyer's zip code. Sure enough, it shows $12.90 as the correct cost from MI. to CA. for the FedEx Ground or Home Delivery service as shown here:FedEx Shipping Charge Actual Value.PNG

$12.90 is correct for a 1.3 lb. (and up to 2 lb.) item shipped to CA. from MI. utilizing FedEx Ground or FedEx Home Delivery. How in the world could a 1.3 lb parcel cost $22.37 to ship from MI. to CA. using that service? Why am I being erroneously overcharged for an additional shipping fee, when the original fee was correctly shown, visible, purchased by the buyer and also DOCUMENTED in the eBay shipping calculator fields?

I'm requesting that FedEx publicly here and now in this forum address this issue, and to fully refund me the overage that I have been erroneously charged. I would also like a public explanation from FedEx for this error and what steps are going to be initiated to prevent this from occurring again.

I would also request that eBay address this issue and to take proactive steps to prevent it from occurring again, and to make it simpler and easier to dispute these erroneous charges, and to be able to do so within eBay's platform and not have to jump through myriad hoops disputing through a third party, since after all, it IS eBay's platform, whether they are the shipping carrier or not.

Incidentally, I had the same issue occur with an item shipped to the east coast via USPS. They charged an extra $3+ for a parcel that was one of two exactly identical items/parcels with the exact same shipping values paid. The one parcel shipped to the west coast with no issue (as expected, as is normal). Yet the other one shipped to the east coast, less than HALF as far away regionally, and USPS charged an extra $3+. It was the same Priority rate box and the same exact dimensional size and weight as the other parcel. I'm still waiting for that refund and an answer from USPS to my question as to why I was erroneously overcharged.

I noted one eBay member state in another forum that "eBay is the shipper". NO, eBay is NOT the shipper. If queried, eBay (the eBay reps) will deny that they are the shipper and they will fully defer that any questions regarding shipping overcharges be directed to the carriers. Yet those shippers are eBay's partners. How can we as eBay members continue to have confidence that our best interests are being attended to when it appears that there is a systemic issue with the validity of those shipping carrier's claims of "underpayment"?

Thank-you for shopping at JJ Collectibles!
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: FedEx Shipping Overcharge

Check out the dozens of postings here this morning.  It looks like some kind of glitch between eBay and FedEx as many received these Cost Adjustments this morning, all invalid.  Customer Service has been inundated with phone calls too and said that "eBay is on it, talking with FedEx to see what happened".  Hopefully they'll straighten this out soon.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Thanks csbbct!

This type of partnered yet "we're not really responsible" partnering that eBay has carefully chosen or rather, crafted, is by nature going to be prone to all kinds of issues, errors and dissatisfaction and loss of confidence on the part of eBay members.

In my business model and philosophy, I believe that 6 months of free store subscriptions is about right for the trouble this issue has caused.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hey everyone, please note that due to a FedEx invoicing issue the week of March 25, 2024, some sellers were incorrectly charged for FedEx label adjustments. We apologize for the inconvenience, and eBay will refund these amounts within the next 5 business days.

Kyle,
eBay
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Will ebay message us to confirm the refund? We are all in the same boat and feel taken advantage of by FedEx and eBay since they keep pushing FedEx. 

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

There's only the post from eBay regarding that refunds would be issued in 5 days.

Since, as you stated, they're pushing various products and/or unnecessary services upon eBay members, I in kind advise eBay members to firmly request eBay to generate  some token of appreciation or gesture of confidence in the form of some months of free store subscriptions for the trouble and loss of confidence this issue has caused many members. It's simply the fair and right thing for eBay to do. 

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I have not received a refund yet as promised above.

I did however receive an email from APV Support stating that my last dispute has been closed. It does not inform the outcome though, and states that eBay should have the results within 72 hours.

But I also got another FedEx shipping underpayment shipping charge in the meantime. The eBay-fedex shipping over charge 2.PNGprovided statement showing the supposed underpayment does not give enough information for me to know exactly why I'm being charged for more postage. It also doesn't include any field to file a dispute. Where exactly is the dispute link?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

FedEx SlowPost.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

UPDATE:

The eBay customer service agent I just spoke to states that the FedEx shipping overcharge issue has occurred again. They fixed (?) the first issue, but it has happened again and that it is "an on-going issue". The latest shipping label adjustment I received today from eBay is, in her words, "a mistake". She says eBay is aware of the issue and is working hard to correct the system error with FedEx. I asked her if the shipping cost adjustment of a REFUND for a parcel listed within the same email as the UNDERPAYMENT was in fact correct and she stated "Yes". But the charge for the underpayment is incorrect. How can they possibly sort this out? I informed her that it was at least 2 days past the previously-promised 5 days that a refund would be issued to sellers. She stated that it would be another 5 days. 

So if sellers view their affected parcels under the "Shipment and cost details" page, which is reached from the "Order details" page, they will see the details of the underpayment. I sked the agent where the "file dispute" clickable link was and she said it had been removed because of this being a known issue. That is also why sellers will not find the clickable icon for "more details" about the underpayment that was visible previously. 

This whole debacle gives another vote of "no confidence" to both FedEx and eBay. 

I asked her whether eBay was going to step up, do the right and fair thing and compensate eBay members (sellers) for the trouble of this issue.  Hesitation from her and then, "I can add your information to the list of affected sellers and perhaps a selling promotion can be offered to you". I stated that I did not want a selling promotion and that I do not use eBays selling promotions. I directly asked (her) for three months of free store subscriptions, which I believe is the least that eBay can do in this case. She stated that she would add that request to my information. 

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

This is for sure still going on. I just got hit with 4 ridiculous up charges (almost double on all) and saw that banner up top saying its an error. Pretty annoying I now have to monitor for 5-10 days to make sure they actually pay me back my ~$100.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Right there with you, FedEx on 9 labels for $297.64. UPS on one for $1,250.00!! I have photos of the measurement from the buyer showing their automatic scanner "which is calibrated daily" is wrong. Have been trying for going on two months to get it credited back lol

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Hey KYLE:

It's been more than 5 days and no refund. 

As I detailed in the post below, the issue is not only not resolved, but has occurred again and is still an on-going issue, according to the eBay customer service rep I spoke to today. She stated that refunds would now take at least another 5 days or longer to be credited. In the meantime, another erroneous underpayment charge was debited from my account. 

I am not seeing the banner on my eBay home page stating that there is a FedEx shipping issue.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Last night I called ebay Customer Service and reported the 5 over charged labels I had. I received my refund this morning, less than 12 hours after calling. I recommend everyone experiencing issues of the overcharging by FedEx to call eBay customer service.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

That was quick. I have yet to receive a refund.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

This is so fraudulent! If you don't call, they will keep the overcharge?

Message 15 of 17
latest reply