cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Etsy rolling out EU customs requirements - asking for tariff code. Is ebay going to ask same?

I haven't seen ebay asking me for a Tariff Code when creating a new listing.  Is this something that is coming to Ebay as well?

I know I am supposed to include the ebay IOSSS number with the shipment (provide it to the shipper).  However, I haven't see anywhere providing me the tariff code which is required when shipping to EU. Am I supposed to manually look up on EU website? I thought ebay will suggest the tariff code the same way as Etsy does.

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Etsy rolling out EU customs requirements - asking for tariff code. Is ebay going to ask same?

intlshipping@ebay  - do have any information on this question?

@itolduandso 

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Re: Etsy rolling out EU customs requirements - asking for tariff code. Is ebay going to ask same?

This information comes via pirateship.com:

• USPS has announced they're increasing rates on August 29th for two services: Media Mail by +12% and Signature Confirmation by +20 cents.
  • Starting July 1st the European Union is requiring Harmonization Codes for each product in your customs form, to specify the exact goods you're shipping. Learn how to find the right HS Code.
  • The European Union also has a new process for what to do when their sales taxes (Value-Added Taxes or "VAT" taxes) are prepaid. If you're selling through your own website then nothing is changing—your EU customers will still just pay any taxes their country requires when they receive the package. But if you sell through marketplaces like eBay, Etsy, or Amazon, they will be prepaying EU VAT taxes for all orders under €150 Euro (~$180 bucks). Those marketplaces will provide you with an IOSS Number that you'll need to enter into the Exporter International Tax ID field at the bottom of the customs form when creating your label in Pirate Ship. This will prove that VAT was paid, so your customer doesn't accidentally pay VAT tax twice Check out all the details on VAT and IOSS here.

I'm assuming that eBay will automatically include the IOSS number on the customs form when you purchase a label through eBay instead of a third party, but the HS code you'll probably need to select manually unless eBay pre-fills based on category. I wouldn't trust a pre-filled HS code though.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Why is there no eBay Announcement about this brian@ebay?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

This is going to be more work if sellers need to start looking up the HC for every sale they do (whether it's at the time of inserting the listing or preparing the shipment.

In any case, I can understand why is Europe doing it. I have seen 100's of Etsy sellers furiously commenting about Europe doesn't want to do business and bla bla bla .. in fact UK is doing same and US has the same process except for the 800 exception on import.   Europe is primarily protecting the tax revenue and market from Chinese Sellers. 

I am surprised Ebay is quiet.  All they need to do is to align HC codes with categories.... .. and please please please, make those HC codes AVAILABLE on the APIs so that 3rd party companies like shippers ... PirateShip, ChitChats, Stallion Express etc.. Can read those codes on the API ....... Don't just force me to use Ebay labels.

Without Ebay passing the HC code information it's going to be additional work for me to check if the HC code generated by 3rd party company is in fact correct (e.g. generated from the description of the product, that's not reliable).  EBay already has the categories, so open that HC code within API.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@itolduandso wrote:

This is going to be more work if sellers need to start looking up the HC for every sale they do (whether it's at the time of inserting the listing or preparing the shipment.

***For every sale ? ***

NO

Actually I had one today for a license plate. I looked up the number. Took all of about one minute - they have a very robust search program. Once I got the number I jotted it down in a notepad file. Now whenever I sell another plate I simply copy and paste.

Ditto for other products I sell.

If you sell a great many things all in the same category then you only have to look it up once and done.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@itolduandso wrote:

In any case, I can understand why is Europe doing it. I have seen 100's of Etsy sellers furiously commenting about Europe doesn't want to do business and bla bla bla .. in fact UK is doing same and US has the same process except for the 800 exception on import.   Europe is primarily protecting the tax revenue and market from Chinese Sellers. 

I am surprised Ebay is quiet.  All they need to do is to align HC codes with categories.... .. and please please please, make those HC codes AVAILABLE on the APIs so that 3rd party companies like shippers ... PirateShip, ChitChats, Stallion Express etc.. Can read those codes on the API ....... Don't just force me to use Ebay labels.

Without Ebay passing the HC code information it's going to be additional work for me to check if the HC code generated by 3rd party company is in fact correct (e.g. generated from the description of the product, that's not reliable).  EBay already has the categories, so open that HC code within API.

eBay Categories are far too wide to align with Harmonized Tariff Codes very accurately. On the other hand most Euro Customs will accept something close because they rarely actually check the contents.

Many Postal Services have required Tariff Codes for several years (Canada Post for example).

You can look them up here:

https://hts.usitc.gov/

Part of this requirement is coming is coming from the Universal Postal Union as a way to speed up the processing on International packages. The volume of ecommerce packages has exploded in recent years, the goal is to have pre-arrival clearance in an attempt to bring an end to the massive backlogs around the world.

Yes it's extra work but it's well worth the effort if it speeds up processing time in the destination countries. Customs processing is the primary reason that international packages take so long to be delivered.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

im sell aceos, little painting over tin, and postage stamps, where I can to have the correct code for this articles? I sell from mexico to some countrys of europe, can you help me?

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

The information is available at this link"

https://www.wcotradetools.org/en/harmonized-system\

You can only enter one word at a time so pick the MOST descriptive word and start from there.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

I've entered the HS codes on the Canada Post labels for years.   I've acculmulated a list of the most common ones that I use so that I don't have to look them up.

I use the CP site although you may find a different one that works for you.

Canada Post - Find a Harmonized System Code (canadapost-postescanada.ca)

Message 10 of 10
latest reply