cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer didn't claim/pick up his package, and was returned to me. Now he wants me to ship it AGAIN.

This is **bleep**.   I sold an item and shipped it out, I PAID FOR SHIPPING.  Weeks go by, item comes back as "unclaimed".  I email the buyer and say "hey your package came back to me".    Now he wants me to either give him a full refund, and be out the shipping costs, or he wants me to ship it to him again, and be out double the shipping cost.  

Is there anything to protect eBay sellers from total idiots like this?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer didn't claim/pick up his package, and was returned to me. Now he wants me to ship it AGAI

You have a few options. You should decide which route you'll be taking and communicate with the buyer, but wait until the item is returned (and delivered) to you before you take any of the following actions.

• You can refund the buyer the item cost minus original shipping and minus a portion of your eBay fees (fee credits are prorated on a partial refund so you won't get back fees on the shipping amount you withhold). Go to your orders page, find the transaction and select "send refund." On the next page enter the amount. After that, relist the item and if you still want to work with this buyer you can tell them to repurchase it with the correct name/address.
  • Have the buyer sort out their address issue then pay for re-shipping. Send them an invoice through PayPal or give them your PayPal e-mail. This is post-sale so it's OK to exchange e-mail addresses. It's also OK to ship to a different address because it's technically not tied to the original transaction. You would not purchase the shipping label through eBay or upload tracking to the transaction. You would purchase it from an alternate site like pirateship.com or paypal.com/shipnow and you can send the buyer the new tracking # through e-mail or eBay messages.
  • You can cancel the transaction "problem with address" which will trigger a full refund to the buyer and your FVF would be credited.
  • You can do nothing. The buyer's MBG protection is voided when there's a package delivery attempt. I don't recommend this because even though you'll win an INR (item not received) claim on eBay, there's nothing stopping that buyer from going to their credit card to file a dispute and why deal with all that? I also think handling it before it gets to this stage with a partial refund is the "right" thing to do if you're not going to make reshipping arrangements.
  • You might also want to direct the buyer to this page so their address is updated for future purchases: Account Settings: Addresses

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: Buyer didn't claim/pick up his package, and was returned to me. Now he wants me to ship it AGAI

You have a few options. You should decide which route you'll be taking and communicate with the buyer, but wait until the item is returned (and delivered) to you before you take any of the following actions.

• You can refund the buyer the item cost minus original shipping and minus a portion of your eBay fees (fee credits are prorated on a partial refund so you won't get back fees on the shipping amount you withhold). Go to your orders page, find the transaction and select "send refund." On the next page enter the amount. After that, relist the item and if you still want to work with this buyer you can tell them to repurchase it with the correct name/address.
  • Have the buyer sort out their address issue then pay for re-shipping. Send them an invoice through PayPal or give them your PayPal e-mail. This is post-sale so it's OK to exchange e-mail addresses. It's also OK to ship to a different address because it's technically not tied to the original transaction. You would not purchase the shipping label through eBay or upload tracking to the transaction. You would purchase it from an alternate site like pirateship.com or paypal.com/shipnow and you can send the buyer the new tracking # through e-mail or eBay messages.
  • You can cancel the transaction "problem with address" which will trigger a full refund to the buyer and your FVF would be credited.
  • You can do nothing. The buyer's MBG protection is voided when there's a package delivery attempt. I don't recommend this because even though you'll win an INR (item not received) claim on eBay, there's nothing stopping that buyer from going to their credit card to file a dispute and why deal with all that? I also think handling it before it gets to this stage with a partial refund is the "right" thing to do if you're not going to make reshipping arrangements.
  • You might also want to direct the buyer to this page so their address is updated for future purchases: Account Settings: Addresses

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 2
latest reply