cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Issue

Two days ago a buyer opened a return request and stated the item arrived broken. She said "I can send photos from my phone but not this computer. Please give me an address to send the photos from my phone."

I sent a message giving her my phone number so she could send pictures from her phone to mine. After several hours she had not responded so I sent another message giving her my email address,along with my phone number again, and stated she could send the pictures to either place. It has been two days.She has still not sent the pictures or responded in any way.

I do not want to pay postage on having a broken item returned to me, but I also want to see pictures before I refund.

I have very little experience handling something like this. Should I call ebay?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Buyer Issue

I don't refund anyone until it is returned to me or pictures provided so I can file a claim thru the post office. You need to keep messaging thru email. Ebay can see the emails not your phone messages. Just see what happens and go that route don't message thru the phone at all no protection there. 

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

Hi,  Yes I would call E-Bay.  They will help you.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

@garnetteb wrote:

I do not want to pay postage on having a broken item returned to me, but I also want to see pictures before I refund.

I have very little experience handling something like this. Should I call ebay?

Three things:

1. eBay customer service is not going to be of any help ... they will tell you to satisfy the claim.  In a worse case scenario, they sometimes give advice that ends up harming sellers, and eBay does not typically stand by the poor advice they give.
  2. A customer does not have to send you photos on a broken item claim with the Money Back Guarantee.
  3. Most customers are honest ... I tend to give the benefit of doubt to long term eBay customers.

Remember with a Money Back Guarantee claim, if you do not take action by the deadline with either (a) refund or (b) request a return, then eBay will force the refund, give you a seller defect, and you will not be refunded fees.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

Unfortunately Paying to Get the item back is necessary as to See for Yourself if it is Broken !! No Pictures need change hands !! Get your product Back and ( IF ) IT was A ITEM ( Worth , Money and Trouble of opening a Postal Claim  ) and It was broken during transport/delivery and not the Customer doing !! Then Refund the Buyer to End Any/All Conflict and Then Open a Case with the Postal Service ( If  ) Necessary !! That's It !! Nothing more You Can Do !! If you don't Refund the Customer !! The Money Will Be Taken Out of Your Acct Automatically and Paid to the Buyer !! And you will get a a mark against you for not taking care of a Disputed Case !! 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

I would not want to bet on that!

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

The buyer may be lying about it being broken, hoping you will let them keep it AND refund them.

Also, if it is not broken and you push for the photos, they may purposely break it.

I would tell the buyer, thru ebay messages only, that it doesn't matter if the item is broken or not, they are welcome to return it for a refund.

That way, if it is not broken, they won't have to purposely break it to return back to you.

Good Luck!

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Buyer Issue

If she filed a return request using a not as described reason you are required to pay the return shipping unless you just want to issue a refund and not require a return.  Buyers aren't required to furnish photographs.  I would probably send her a return label.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 8 of 8
latest reply