cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

promoted fee for listing scam

I think that its a scam to charge additional fees for a listing they claim is "Promoted." I thought eBay was US wide and worldwide -so when you list something it gets the visibility regardless. They charge high fees over 13% for a regular listing plus .30 , I think its a scam to have your listing "Promoted " they should already be Promoting your listing on eBay for the fees. please reply if you can tell me the difference in regular vs. Promoted fees and how they can charge 16% or higher for Promoted fees this to me is a big scam worth looking into. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

"Worth looking into" ?

I'd say start here:

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/growth/promoted-listings/promoted-listings-standard

Read what Promoted Listings do for you, see examples, get advice on best practices, and so forth.  After that, you still need to follow good business practices and see if it's worth it to build in was it essentially an advertising expense into your business model.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

How can they, they know there are some sellers that will pay it.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

It's definitely not a "scam" but maybe you meant "rip off". There's a huge difference. That's up for individual sellers to decide and choose if they want to promote their listings or not. It is the business model that ebay has chosen.

Always read everything carefully before you say yes to anything (like when ebay has a pop up encouraging you to promote) so you're not surprised at a fee you weren't expecting. 

As a seller you should either sorce your inventory cheap enough to where you can absorb this fee (if it is a very competitive item and needs to be promoted) or Source items that are unique enough to stand out without paying that fee. If all else fails you can choose a different platform to sell on. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@itflipsthrift wrote:

I think that its a scam to charge additional fees for a listing they claim is "Promoted." I thought eBay was US wide and worldwide -so when you list something it gets the visibility regardless. They charge high fees over 13% for a regular listing plus .30 , I think its a scam to have your listing "Promoted " they should already be Promoting your listing on eBay for the fees. please reply if you can tell me the difference in regular vs. Promoted fees and how they can charge 16% or higher for Promoted fees this to me is a big scam worth looking into. 

If you think it's a "scam" why would you use it?

I don't use Promoted Listings very often, I don't feel that it provides value TO ME.

To answer your question, Promoted Listing will usually get many more Impressions than the same item  without promotion, they can suggest a higher and high rate because there are sellers willing to pay that rate.

For many things more Impressions will not translate into more sales but at least in that case it costs you nothing.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

/scam/

to trick someone into giving you money or giving you some advantage, in a dishonest and often illegal way:

An option/choice to utilize a service is not a scam.....

Fees/costs/expectations are all disclosed....if you think this is a 'scam' try getting on page 1 of a google search with your own website....

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

If you don't use PL standard, eBay will publish your listings on page 4,392. If you use standard PL at 3%, they will put you on page 5. If you promote at 25% along with using PL advanced and PL display, and offsite ads, then eBay will display your listings in Times Square on the big board and you'll get a slot during Superbowl commercials.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Not true.  Most listing placement is still based on SEO.  We sell non-promoted items all the time.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I've never promoted a single item on my personal accounts, sales have been very good.

I started this account for my employer in 2020. It went from $0 to on track for a minimum of $80,000 in sales for the 3rd year, when the owners sold the business to a giant corporation & eBay sales were stopped.  Never promoted a single thing.

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I have been in corporate sales/marketing for 30 years i am google certified . My question is trying to figure out what's the main difference in reach between a regular listing and a promoted listing. eBay gives very little information on it which is why i think its a "scam" better term  "rip off ". 

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

LOL good One thanks for the Info ! I want a billboard on a highway ! so most listings on eBay are a billboard in a desert ? 

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

I never used PL before and then started getting pop up to use them but could not get clear info on it. they charge 12-15% additional comish nothing left on the bone after that.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply