cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay reports Q3 Financials

Of greatest interest to eBay sellers.....

GMV (Gross Merchandise Volume) UP 9% y/y

Active buyers up 2 Million y/y

The GMV number in particular is quite good relative to the numbers they have reported over the past few years and would tend to indicate that eBay is on the right track.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-third-quarter-2017-results/

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

All I see in those figures is that ebay has more stuff from China and more people making fresh ids.  I don't see anything about how sales are up for a little guy.  After all, ebay took away that 10% trs discount to pad their bottom line.

(*Bleep*)
Message 2 of 64
latest reply

And what does Etsy give us for being the great sellers we are?? I haven't received a thing.

Message 3 of 64
latest reply

CEO Wenig on 3rd quarter...
“Our customers are responding to the significant product enhancements we have been making, and this is reflected in our results.”

The man has NO clue who his customer is...maybe that's why stock is DOWN $2.30 after hours as I speak.
Message 4 of 64
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

And what does Etsy give us for being the great sellers we are?? I haven't received a thing.

I get sales - lots and lots of sales.

And sales is all I ask for from any site including ebay.  I don't expect anything else.  I don't jump through hoops for discounts, I don't expect decorated boxes fresh from China that I can get better from the post office for the same price.  And i don' t expect any different treeatment than any other seller gets.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 64
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
“Our customers are responding to the significant product enhancements we have been making, and this is reflected in our results.”

The man has NO clue who his customer is...maybe that's why stock is DOWN $2.30 after hours as I speak.

LOL. So why is it up 40% in the past 12 months?

Message 6 of 64
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@nawlinsron2 wrote:

LOL. So why is it up 40% in the past 12 months?

Come on, let's not allow pesky "facts" to get in the way of someone's agenda 🙂

Message 7 of 64
latest reply

You can't make money yesterday...
Message 8 of 64
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
You can't make money yesterday...

That’s the best you’ve got?

Message 9 of 64
latest reply

When Americans decide they are sick of having the Amazn and g$$gle monopolies ruining their businesses (whether they sell independently, have a brick and mortar store, orsell through Ebay or anywhere else

then things will get a lot better for a lot of hard working people

Message 10 of 64
latest reply

No...
Oct. 16, 2016...closed at $32.52
Oct. 19, 2017...closed at $37.97
$5.45/$32.52=16.75%...not 40%
Like the man said...don't let facts get in the way
Message 11 of 64
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
No...
Oct. 16, 2016...closed at $32.52
Oct. 19, 2017...closed at $37.97
$5.45/$32.52=16.75%...not 40%
Like the man said...don't let facts get in the way

Are you a shareholder or a seller (or both)?

I'm just a seller here so eBay's share price and it's day to day movement isn't of much relevance to me.

This is why my original post only referred to the relatively good improvement in the amount of goods sold and the more modest but still an increase in the number of buyers. These two metrics are the ones that really affect sellers.

If you want to talk about how much money you can make trading eBay stock I recommend you visit an investors forum and thrash out the good and bad there.

Message 12 of 64
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Of greatest interest to eBay sellers.....

GMV (Gross Merchandise Volume) UP 9% y/y

Active buyers up 2 Million y/y

The GMV number in particular is quite good relative to the numbers they have reported over the past few years and would tend to indicate that eBay is on the right track.

Okay, I give up. 

So, what do the numbers mean?

Are buyers spending more money?  Or, are more buyers spending less money?  Does the volume of goods sold to more buyers mean that the more sellers are making more money or is the money getting spread thinner? 

Is there anything about how many transactions by how many people for how much money?  And who are the ones with the most transactions and how much do they sell?

What do the number actually say - in 'real life'?

Are there any real numbers, anywhere, that mean anything, in real life?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 64
latest reply

58% of ebay sales are foreign...I guess there's domestic growth in those numbers.
...but it's only a guess.
Message 14 of 64
latest reply

The numbers mean this:

In the most recent quarter, July, August, September 9% more goods (by dollar value) were sold on eBay marketplaces (almost all of that is the main site because GMV at Stub Hub was not as good) than in the same period in 2016.

There were 2 million more users who bought and paid for at least 1 item in the past 12 months than in the same period in 2016.

More buyers and more sales, that's what ALL sellers want to hear.

If you follow the link I provided you can find the raw numbers (Dollars).

For accuracy I'll state that I slightly misread the numbers, the GMV was actually up 8%, it was eBay's revenues that were up 9%

Message 15 of 64
latest reply