cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay reports Q3 Financials

Of greatest interest to eBay sellers.....

GMV (Gross Merchandise Volume) UP 9% y/y

Active buyers up 2 Million y/y

The GMV number in particular is quite good relative to the numbers they have reported over the past few years and would tend to indicate that eBay is on the right track.

https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-inc-reports-third-quarter-2017-results/

Message 1 of 64
latest reply
63 REPLIES 63

Re: eBay reports Q3 Financials

@tev4all wrote:

To all...

GMV is the value of items listed on ebay if they were to sell at the price listed.  Whether those items result in a completed transaction or not. 

Well that is 100% wrong. GMV is the total of all COMPLETED transactions, items actually sold and paid for during a specified period.

Message 61 of 64
latest reply

gracieallen01 wrote:

After clearing out the hype of 'the street' and Madison Ave., what are the real numbers and do they really mean anything in the real world?

This is sort of the important take-away for most eBay sellers, in my opinion.  I think you've made a great point.  In the end, regardless of which e-commerce site is The Biggest or The Best or The Most Profitable or This, That, The Other...  it boils down to Are you making money here? 

Got yourself a pretty profitable business going, or pocketing some nice little extra cash to play with each month from your eBay sales?  That's what most sellers are looking for here.  And if they're doing good, they're likely fairly well satisfied to let eBay fight eBay's battle in the e-commerce world and they'll just work their own businesses. 

We have a lot of sellers here who have sold on other sites but dumped them for one reason or another, and plenty of current sellers here who also sell profitably on some of the other sites as well as on eBay. 

If it works for you here, work it.  Sure wouldn't worry about the cost of a share or whether the company is in a number one spot about anything.. or two or three or twenty or thirty.  And since many here likely don't do a lot of investing in the stock market (kinda' apparent) they'll likely base their business decisions on eBay as a base for their own sales businesses. 

As long as eBay remains a Fortune 500 company, and in about that middle range there, I'll feel pretty comfortable about their positioning in the world market.  And as long as I keep making money here, I'll be pretty happy with them as a site to sell on.

For those who couldn't or didn't or don't want to continue business on eBay and obviously hate the very thought from what they post in discussions, I'm curious about their motives in even continuing to engage others on the selling board.  Do they not have businesses running on other sites that will benefit from their attention and effort?  Or, not working out for them on other sites either?  Or what?  Just been curious about that, as others seem to be as well.

Message 62 of 64
latest reply

@mistwomandancing wrote:

@gracieallen01 wrote:

After clearing out the hype of 'the street' and Madison Ave., what are the real numbers and do they really mean anything in the real world?

This is sort of the important take-away for most eBay sellers, in my opinion.  I think you've made a great point.  In the end, regardless of which e-commerce site is The Biggest or The Best or The Most Profitable or This, That, The Other...  it boils down to Are you making money here? 

Got yourself a pretty profitable business going, or pocketing some nice little extra cash to play with each month from your eBay sales?  That's what most sellers are looking for here.  And if they're doing good, they're likely fairly well satisfied to let eBay fight eBay's battle in the e-commerce world and they'll just work their own businesses. 

We have a lot of sellers here who have sold on other sites but dumped them for one reason or another, and plenty of current sellers here who also sell profitably on some of the other sites as well as on eBay. 

If it works for you here, work it.  Sure wouldn't worry about the cost of a share or whether the company is in a number one spot about anything.. or two or three or twenty or thirty.  And since many here likely don't do a lot of investing in the stock market (kinda' apparent) they'll likely base their business decisions on eBay as a base for their own sales businesses. 

As long as eBay remains a Fortune 500 company, and in about that middle range there, I'll feel pretty comfortable about their positioning in the world market.  And as long as I keep making money here, I'll be pretty happy with them as a site to sell on.

For those who couldn't or didn't or don't want to continue business on eBay and obviously hate the very thought from what they post in discussions, I'm curious about their motives in even continuing to engage others on the selling board.  Do they not have businesses running on other sites that will benefit from their attention and effort?  Or, not working out for them on other sites either?  Or what?  Just been curious about that, as others seem to be as well.

I think they want everyone to feel as miserable as they do, even if we’re making bank.

Message 63 of 64
latest reply

But i share in the frustrations with how things are going on Ebay

But there is monopoly action going on with A and Giggle that people should be screaming about. I fear they wont until it is too latew

Message 64 of 64
latest reply