cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why so many fake accounts who win auctions and don't pay?

Can someone please explain to me why there are so many fake accounts who swoop in at the last second of an auction with a winning bid and then, they never pay. The account generally is opened on the day that they make the winning bid. Zero feedback. Don't reply to any messages sent to them.  I've had a rash of them lately. And yes, I could set a price and require immediate payment, but sometimes, I have no idea what something is worth and I've been totally surprised and made a neat profit on things I was going to toss into the St. Vinny's box. 

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It's happening because ebay refused to fix this problem.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Just stop using auction format and the problem goes away. 

Out of my last 50,000 listings between my two accounts and the ones I have managed for friends I have used auction format exactly twice. Only one of them paid.

For mystery value items instead of auctioning them you can instead start them at the moon and mark them down regularly. This will almost certainly give you a higher return than the auction would, which only gives you one week to attract buyers from the very small pool of people who still shop auction format, which isn't many.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I have had plenty of BIN members, who also created an ID the same day, use the BIN, then go to ebay, not me, say they want to cancel.

Then you get the email that, "Well if you haven't shipped it yet..." but luckily it's within a few hours, & I hadn't shipped.

Using BIN vs. Auctions with the boxes checked to have a payment method on file has not stopped this type of deadbeat time-waster.  I guess ebay does not charge their card on file?

When the Seller is forced to cancel the sale, the cancellers are simply refunded the purchase price, like this is Amazon or Walmart or Target.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

This thread is a 3 year old zombie thread. 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply