cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why buyers don't trust eBay

This is a good example of why buyers don't trust eBay despite the money back guarantee. This item is listed in the clothing section and everything in the item specifics gives the buyer  the impression that this is a pair of men's size 9.5 pair of the infamous Trump Sneakers. However, the item description reveals the sham of this posting and that what the buyer is bidding on is in fact a picture of the shoes. They also claim the proceeds are being donated to the Trump Campaign fund. Hard to believe that will all the legitimate listings eBay pulls they allow something like this to be listed. What do you suppose the buyers reaction is  going to be when they find out they paid $3K + for a picture? 

Message 1 of 78
latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Re: Why buyers don't trust eBay

We likely will not know.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 78
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mike_jayroe wrote:

I'd like to make two points.

How much of the money is actually going to go to the trump fund and how much is the scammer going to keep for themselves?

And all people need to do is file a INAD demanding a refund, and the scammer has wasted all that time listing and relisting the item.

It all goes to the seller.  Now maybe the seller will donate some of their haul to Trump, but then they may not.

But when would the buyer file an INAD?  Would they do it within the 30 days they have coverage under the MBG, or would they try to file it outside of that date range.  If outside of it, they aren't covered on Ebay and the seller would not have to process it.  Now they could charge a Chargeback with their credit card company if they used one.  But while Ebay offers 180 days to do that most CCC's don't offer that much time.

With that said, I'm with you that buyers would likely file a claim at some point.  Especially those that just get a picture.

I don't know about pre-sale listings since I've never made one but...
I believe the 30-day MBG in terms of a return starts on the day of delivery.

So then I am looking at one of these listings, and under delivery date it states:

Estimated between Sat, Apr 6 and Sat, Apr 13 

So it's not August...

And I'm pretty sure the buyer can open an Item Not Received case 5 days after the 13th of April.
And a case for Not As Described as late as 30 days after the item has online viewable delivery tracking scan.

Ebay has been around for a long time, I really doubt there are any scams that have not been tried, and addressed. A lot of these sellers who plan on a dishonest deal are going to get hurt in the process, once MC999'd from ebay it is pretty much impossible to sell here ever again, most ebay bans are for life and they mean it... They really do, you can get away with things most every place but not here, once they ban a user they are unlikely to be able to ever get back on the platform.

Message 47 of 78
latest reply

Real scammers with real scammer resources don't waste time. They do get the money and they keep it. It is ebay who loses when they refund the buyer. 

Message 48 of 78
latest reply

I don't know about pre-sale listings since I've never made one but...
I believe the 30-day MBG in terms of a return starts on the day of delivery.

So then I am looking at one of these listings, and under delivery date it states:

Estimated between Sat, Apr 6 and Sat, Apr 13 

So it's not August...

And I'm pretty sure the buyer can open an Item Not Received case 5 days after the 13th of April.
And a case for Not As Described as late as 30 days after the item has online viewable delivery tracking scan.

Ebay has been around for a long time, I really doubt there are any scams that have not been tried, and addressed. A lot of these sellers who plan on a dishonest deal are going to get hurt in the process, once MC999'd from ebay it is pretty much impossible to sell here ever again, most ebay bans are for life and they mean it... They really do, you can get away with things most every place but not here, once they ban a user they are unlikely to be able to ever get back on the platform.

These are just a few of the problems with all of these listings. 

Message 49 of 78
latest reply

@farmalljr wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

I bet the eBay employee in charge of viewing listings that are reported is probably having a bad week.

Bots.... No human necessary. What would make you think at this point, actually humans do much of anything at ebay anymore? 

Then what do the 11,600 employees who work for ebay do?...

Message 50 of 78
latest reply

@broto_64 

Ebay has a policy that Presale items shipping date can NOT be further out than 40 business days.  So all these listings breach that policy.

The April dates have to be incorrect.  Trump isn't releasing these shoes until late JULY.

The buyer could open an INR ONE day after the latest estimated delivery date, not 5 days.

Oh these listings are a "new" thing on Ebay.  I'm not sure anyone actually said that.  Over the years similar things have been tried on different products, all meeting the same fate as they breach policy.  And those sellers trying to sell a pic of the shoes is a scam that has often been tried on Ebay.

Ebay does not appear to be "banning" all of these sellers that they shut down listings on as some have come back and posted a similar listing again.  Obviously thinking they can beat the system.  Ebay does not usually "ban" a seller with one listing removal such as these shoe listings.  A second offense usually gets a seller a few day suspension but a third offense is far more serious and can result [but not always] in the seller losing their selling privileges on this site.

Message 51 of 78
latest reply

@sumsum70 wrote:

Real scammers with real scammer resources don't waste time. They do get the money and they keep it. It is ebay who loses when they refund the buyer. 

NO, not really.  Especially now that Ebay is the Money Processor.  First new sellers will likely have their money held for a few weeks.  And once Ebay determines that the transaction was against the rules, force the cancellation of the transaction and a full refund to the buyer.  Don't forget, Ebay is in control of the money now.  Which makes me wonder how these sellers really think they are going to get away with this trickery.

Message 52 of 78
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

I bet the eBay employee in charge of viewing listings that are reported is probably having a bad week.

Bots.... No human necessary. What would make you think at this point, actually humans do much of anything at ebay anymore? 

They are simply incorrect.  AI does look at some of these listings being reported, but others are looked at by humans.  It has been that way for a long time.  

Message 53 of 78
latest reply

@soh.maryl 

Yes, I'm sorry that's what I meant.  I saw the kid with the orange hood over his head 7 times. lol.  Now concerning the Trump sneakers, there are literally hundreds of listings of "photos" rare ones (yeah, right) of the sneakers.  Isn't that copyright infringement? Just curious if you or anyone else knew.  

Message 54 of 78
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt @mam98031 

I noticed most of the photos of the sneakers were removed.  My guess is from what I posted earlier, copyright issues.  Now there are at least a dozen sellers who have the sneakers in their photos, but are selling flags?  What next?? There's also a listing for a painted rock.  Only $1500...lol.  At least they're original. 

Message 55 of 78
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt @mam98031 

I noticed most of the photos of the sneakers were removed.  My guess is from what I posted earlier, copyright issues.  Now there are at least a dozen sellers who have the sneakers in their photos, but are selling flags?  What next?? There's also a listing for a painted rock.  Only $1500...lol.  At least they're original. 

Yea it's getting really nuts out there. Duplicate listings, pictures, flags .... It will be interesting to see if any comments get posted about the 50 sold items including several that were high priced pictures. Of course no idea whether the items were actually paid for. 

Message 56 of 78
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

@erikstuff wrote:

I think it's unfair that the seller has to pay the Ebay fee on the $9.50 shipping charge.  

I think a processing fee on the tax and shipping is fair enough AND standard. Paying a FVF on those is just a sign of greed. It's also a sign that the platform has no idea **bleep** they are doing since they can't attract enough buyers to make their fee money through a normal channel. Nickle and diming the shrinking amount of buyers and sellers, usually leads to competition coming along and making you Sears or Kmart. 

You are correct, it is standard in the industry on shipping, but it isn't on sales tax.  I don't know about all the similar sites, but Etsy and Amazon do not charge any processing fee or FVF on sales tax.

Credit card processors have charged the processing fee on sales tax forever. I still remember all the threads when MP took over from PayPal. Everyone was loosing their minds because now instead of 2.9% on the sales tax, sellers were charged 13%. 

I also have my own merchant account for my business. You are charge the processing fee on the TOTAL of the sale. Sales tax, shipping, product/service price, it all is charged the processing fee. 

I didn't say that no one charges their fees on Sales tax.  I was pretty clear in what I said before and I stand by it.

FYI as you know a CC is not the same as a site like Ebay, Etsy or Amazon.

Amazon and Etsy are not a whole industry. You inferred that processing fees are not a standard charge on sales tax. Your assertion is quite wrong. Just because one or two PLATFORMS do not charge the fee on sales tax, does not mean the overwhelming majority do not. Almost every situation, the fee is charged on sales tax too.

For your information, a credit card processor, processes credit card transactions, It's not the same as Amazon, Etsy or eBay. They do not process their own card transactions, they are done by banking institutions. These platforms have agreements with these processors. These platforms have agreements with the processors, just like I have an agreement with mine. They charge the users of the platform a processing fee, just like I charge my clients a fee for using a card or processing a payment. 

You can "stand by" whatever you want. I find sometimes when you respond you either are doing a poor job of wording your response, or you just don't know what you are talking about. 

Message 57 of 78
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

@farmalljr wrote:

@redlinear wrote:

It sure isn't answer the phone, now is it. It sure isn't listen to the sellers and address the long time problems with the platform. 

Message 58 of 78
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@broto_64 

Ebay has a policy that Presale items shipping date can NOT be further out than 40 business days.  So all these listings breach that policy.

The April dates have to be incorrect.  Trump isn't releasing these shoes until late JULY.

I am stating that is what the sellers have on their listings, in some cases as early as late Feb-Mar.
Of course it's "incorrect," what else would it be?

broto_64_0-1708701699937.png

broto_64_1-1708701728423.png

I suspect however that some of these accounts may be hijacked, these particular sellers had several hundred and the other a few thousand feedback. That stinks as well, imagine it is a seller's account that isn't too busy presently and doesn't realize their account has been stolen... They come back one day to login to ebay and find out they've been MC999'd.

Message 59 of 78
latest reply

@broto_64 

I reported this listing yesterday and it was shut down, yet here it appears again.  This whole category needs to go away.  Many people have no idea what they're in for.  The ones that thought they were getting shoes and got photos instead.  Now the flags that will be digitally delivered & the seller doesn't own the copyrights to that photo. It's getting out of hand.  

Message 60 of 78
latest reply