cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird scam message?!

I was sent a message by a user and I don’t know if it’s a scam or not, any insight? 

hello, I'm reaching out because I've been attempting to purchase for a few minutes now, but I consistently encounter an error when I click the buy now button. I reached out to customer support, and they clarified that the cause of the error is linked to the setup of your account. It appears that you have configured your account in a manner that restricts new users from completing purchases, and I happen to be a new user. As a resolution, they suggested that I pass along this link to you. By doing so, you'll have the ability to enable any other user facing the same issue as me to successfully make a purchase from you, and I'll be able to proceed with my transaction as well.

“Copy the link and then paste it into the address bar of your Web Browser”

I kindly ask that you inform me when you manage to resolve the issue. I'll be waiting for you so I can make another attempt
- Kathleen

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Weird scam message?!

SCAM don't respond to it just report the message and block.

You can do this from the message you received see image below. 

New sellers are always targets for scammers.

Never click on a link in a message or email that could be malicious. 
IMG_1557.jpeg

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

@brypan36 

That is a phishing message!

Forward the message to spoof@ebay.com

If you have clicked on that link and got a sign in page IMMEDIATELY change your eBay passwords. Even if you didn't get a sign in you could possibly have acquired some malware.

If you did not click the link, just forward and forget it.

Any legit eBay link will be in the

ebay.com

xxxx.ebay.com

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

I have it my sign in what do I need to change on my account, I just changed my sign in password, anything else?

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

If possible you should remove the link from your post as it is a possible link to malware or a hack attempt. 

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

@brypan36 

I'm so impressed that you came here before a scammer was able to rip you off! 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

YEP, it is a SCAM.  Do not click that link.

There is NO Such Setting in Ebay for sellers to restrict new buyers.

There is a report button on the message, you should report this message to Ebay as a scam.  You can also go and report the buyer as well, here is the link.  It is really quick and easy, but important to report  these efforts.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

@brypan36 wrote:

I have it my sign in what do I need to change on my account, I just changed my sign in password, anything else?

Did you go to the link they gave you?  Did you fill out any information on that link?

If you didn't do that, you don't have a need to change your password.  But if you did, yes change your password immediately.

Never EVER click on a link in someone's email unless you are sure it is safe.  Like from someone you know or a business you do business with.  But NEVER from a strangers email.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

You can also go and report the buyer as well, here is the link.  It is really quick and easy, but ...

@mam98031 

I believe the link you provided to 'report the buyer' only works for completed transactions (i.e. items that are paid for).  Since the OP basically had no "transaction" with the buyer, I don't think they can use this to report.  

Until eBay gave us back the opportunity to REPORT on the message itself, there was no way, other than conversing with CS to report scam attempts such as this, change of address scammers, or the text me scammers who used the message system to carry on their nefarious activities.  They are not really "buyers". 

buyer.jpg

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

They DID give use back the report message function. It's on the Actions dropdown

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Weird scam message?!

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

They DID give use back the report message function. It's on the Actions dropdown

@toomuchstuffagain35 

Are you using the old message version or the new one?

I ask because on the old version I can see the Actions icon, but in the new version I have not been able to locate it.  I'm hoping I'm just missing it.  Can you direct me?

Message 11 of 11
latest reply