cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trump Shoes that were released today for $399 are selling for thousands

Saw an article that some Gold shoes he just released today already sold out after a few hours. I looked at ebay comps and people are flipping them for thousands (I guess because only 1000 pairs were made).

This is not a political thread. Just thought the whole thing was crazy.

Message 1 of 147
latest reply
146 REPLIES 146

Re: Trump Shoes that were released today for $399 are selling for thousands

@andreyprince wrote:

So much TDS in this thread. Do you also go out reporting every single other item on Ebay that you suspect is scam? Or are you the self-appointed Trumpers fighting super hero.

ROTFLMAO

But first, what is TDS?

My political opinions have nothing to do with this, nor should they.  These listing break some rules that Ebay has set forth for all sellers.  These listings could cause some buyers to have very bad buying experiences here and possibly cost them a large amount of money.  Some of these sellers are actively try to STEAL from buyers offering them a pic of the shoes, not the shoes themselves.

It is fine if for you this doesn't matter nor do you wish to be involved.  I take no issue with that.

When there are BILLIONS of listings on Ebay, of course I don't "go out reporting every single other item on Ebay that you suspect is scam".  But when I find a listing that appears clearly break policy on this site and is likely intended to steal from a buyer, sure I report them.  

I guess because there have been so many of these listings that you think the way you do.  Not sure why as I never said I report them all.  But you certainly are entitled to your opinion even if you are off base.

BTW, this has NOTHING to do with Trump.  These sellers are selling these shoes FOR Trump, they are selling them for themselves.  Maybe they will donate some to him, IDK.  But this isn't about Trump, it is about sellers attempting to use this site to steal from others.  If you are OK with that, that is your thing, not mine.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 121 of 147
latest reply

@andreyprince 

Because most of these sales are rip offs.  There is no guarantee that people will receive them as there are only 1000 pairs available. Yet dishonest sellers are selling them pre sale, they do not have them in their possession and there is no guarantee they will receive them either.  This is also a pre sale policy violation.  Sellers have 40 days to ship a pre order, not over 5 months.  It's not so much about these shoes, it's about the customers who are being ripped off and lied to by scam sellers and outright thieves.  That's what most people here are concerned about...not the shoes. 

Message 122 of 147
latest reply

I have noticed that on this forum a lot of people define Retail Arbitrage as drop shipping. Everywhere else I have seen that talks about reselling (like podcasts and YouTube Etc) refers to retail arbitrage as what you're saying where you simply buy new items for retail (instead of used items at the thrift) and sell them for a profit. So I always thought that I Retail Arbitraged beauty products ( that I have in my possession that I ship myself). It basically means acquiring your inventory at retail.

I've never wanted to really get into the debate here though because a lot of people refer to drop shipping as Retail Arbitrage on this forum for some reason (but I've heard it used hundreds and hundreds of times the "google" way on other platforms).

Message 123 of 147
latest reply

@sapphire_studio  You are correct about the proper definition of "retail arbitrage" Drop shipping is not retail arbitrage, and that is true whether we are talking about ebay or anywhere else. Some sellers on these boards do indeed confuse the two, but they are simply wrong.

"Arbitrage" is defined as:  " purchase and sale of the same or similar asset in different markets in order to profit from tiny differences in the asset's listed price"

Example: I go to WalMart and buy Xmas decor at 75% off in their after Christmas sale. They have priced those items at 75% below their retail price in order to make space for newer inventory. While WalMart has good business reasons for doing this, I recognize that I can sell those items online for more than I am paying....because of the differences between the two markets. That is arbitrage.

It is called retail arbitrage because I am purchasing in a retail store (usually when an item is on sale, but not always.) For example, if a certain brand of snack food is sold only in my local region, I might be able to purchase it at retail, at full price, and still make a profit selling it online to people who don't live locally. That's what arbitrage is about: recognizing that selling the item in a different market can allow me to increase the price and thus make a profit.

The key things I am NOT doing: I'm not buying wholesale, and then selling at retail. I'm not buying and having the seller ship directly to the ultimate buyer (drop shipping).  I am not buying used items at a yard sale or thrift store or flea market, etc....that is generally referred to as reselling or thrifting.

I am buying at one price at a retail business (online or B&M, though we usually think of B&M), I am taking possession of the item, and I am reselling it on another venue at a higher price (and I am shipping or otherwise delivering the item to the ultimate consumer)

Message 124 of 147
latest reply

Thank you that was explained extremely well. ❤️

Message 125 of 147
latest reply

@sapphire_studio,

The meaning of the phrase "retail arbitrage" has evolved pretty rapidly.

It's based on the word "arbitrage" which actually means buying and selling something at the same time.

lacemaker3_0-1708959339809.png

When people first started using the phrase "retail arbitrage", they meant offering something for sale on one platform, and then when it was purchased, the seller would go and buy the item somewhere else (for less, of course) and have it sent directly to the buyer. It's not exactly buying and selling simultaneously, but it's close. And it's taking advantage of differing prices for the same asset. This business model results in disappointed customers a lot of the time, because if the price difference swings the wrong way, then the seller typically cancels the sale rather than lose money on it. And when you're doing this with retail items, the supply is relatively unreliable, so a lot of times the item just isn't available any more when the seller tries to buy it to fulfill their transaction, meaning they have to cancel the sale again.

eBay doesn't allow this, but they don't use the phrase "retail arbitrage". Last time I checked, eBay policy doesn't allow a seller to sell something they don't actually have (either in-hand, or by a contract with a supplier), and then, after the sale, purchase the item from another retail source to fulfill the transaction.

Retail arbitrage, by that meaning, is not the same as drop-shipping. With drop-shipping, the seller has a contract with a supplier to fulfill their sales (which means the supplier stores the items, and ships them to the buyers). eBay allows drop-shipping, as long as the seller has a contract with the supplier to fulfill the sales. This (drop-shipping) is allowed, but the seller is held responsible for ensuring that the transactions are fulfilled. So if the supplier is not reliable, the seller will be held responsible for any cancelled or incorrect transactions. It's a difficult business model, but if a seller managed to find a reliable supplier, it can work very well.

What you're doing is not "arbitrage" at all, because you purchase things in advance and have them on hand before you offer them for sale. The "simultaneous/at the same time" part of the definition of "arbitrage" is not there. What you described is "buy low - sell high", which is a much better business model, as long as you anticipate the demand correctly. Much less risk of disappointed buyers also.

Message 126 of 147
latest reply

Screenshot_20240226_072639_Samsung Internet.jpg

https://www.zonbase.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-amazon-retail-arbitrage/

Even if the word Arbitrage has some history regarding "simultaneous" it really doesn't change how the term is used by everybody. It has a completely accepted definition and Drop Shipping is not it. I think it's just some confusion that has been passed around this forum specifically.

Message 127 of 147
latest reply

It’s amazing that you cling on to the last vestiges of this wicked administration and have no problem posting your politically laced dribble here. 

Message 128 of 147
latest reply

Free market, let’s go complain about the $50,000 Honus Wagner card that sold for 2.8 million here?

Message 129 of 147
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

As I said, the meaning of "retail arbitrage" has evolved rapidly.

The word "arbitrage" implies using close timing to take advantage of a price difference to make a profit. If you take the timing aspect out of it, then you are no longer doing "arbitrage".  So the meaning is now completely different, and by that definition, "retail arbitrage" is not "arbitrage" at all.

Sorry, but that is just too silly. If you take the word "arbitrage" out of the definition, then it's just "retail", not arbitrage at all.

The meaning is completely different. Which has happened with word meanings many times before. So don't mind me. I'm just trying to point out how absurd this is.

And, as I said, retail arbitrage was never the same thing as drop-shipping.

Message 130 of 147
latest reply

@sapphire_studio 

Another dis satisfied customer. The comments are starting to pile up:

AVOID THIS SCAMMER. Seller posted a picture of shoes representing them as the actual pair of shoes. *Note that the post did say photo at the end of post, but it is clearly a scam trying to get ppl to buy without seeing it. I messaged immediately when I realized and requested cancellation and the member declined it and marked shipped. Luckily I had already called eBay and alerted them to the scam.

More to come, no doubt.

Message 131 of 147
latest reply

@ckimodog wrote:

@sapphire_studio 

Another dis satisfied customer. The comments are starting to pile up:

AVOID THIS SCAMMER. Seller posted a picture of shoes representing them as the actual pair of shoes. *Note that the post did say photo at the end of post, but it is clearly a scam trying to get ppl to buy without seeing it. I messaged immediately when I realized and requested cancellation and the member declined it and marked shipped. Luckily I had already called eBay and alerted them to the scam.

More to come, no doubt.

From people who don't read what's before their eyes before spending $$$ and are now all sniffly. This isn't something that costs 10 bucks, you'd think people would be more thorough. SMH.

And yes, I expect there will be more to come.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 132 of 147
latest reply

@sapphire_studio wrote:

I have noticed that on this forum a lot of people define Retail Arbitrage as drop shipping. Everywhere else I have seen that talks about reselling (like podcasts and YouTube Etc) refers to retail arbitrage as what you're saying where you simply buy new items for retail (instead of used items at the thrift) and sell them for a profit. So I always thought that I Retail Arbitraged beauty products ( that I have in my possession that I ship myself). It basically means acquiring your inventory at retail.

I've never wanted to really get into the debate here though because a lot of people refer to drop shipping as Retail Arbitrage on this forum for some reason (but I've heard it used hundreds and hundreds of times the "google" way on other platforms).

@sapphire_studio 

Some do define it differently than Ebay does.  But for selling here, it is defined as : listing an item on eBay and then purchasing the item from another retailer or marketplace that ships directly to your customer is not allowed on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/drop-shipping?id=4176

So it is the act of listing the item FIRST, an item you do NOT own or have in your possession.  Then when it item sells for you, you then purchase it from somewhere else and have it shipped to your buyer.

Dropshipping done correctly is within the Ebay rules, but it is a lot of work and can be very successful.  

Drop shipping is when a seller has an AGREEMENT with a wholesaler to ship items directly to the seller's customers as the seller places orders with the wholesaler.  The seller then creates listings for the times that the wholesaler has that they want to sell.  The seller however needs to keep a close watch on the wholesalers inventory levels for everything the seller is selling on this site.

Message 133 of 147
latest reply

I'm just curious how you know how eBay defines retail arbitrage. The only people I have heard Define Retail Arbitrage as you are explaining are some people on this forum. Everywhere else refers to Retail Arbitrage as actually possessing the retail items you buy and shipping them yourself.

Message 134 of 147
latest reply

@buzzapparel wrote:

Free market, let’s go complain about the $50,000 Honus Wagner card that sold for 2.8 million here?

I think you missed the point.  As a seller Ebay has all kinds of rules that we must comply with.  One of those rules is about Presale items.  The listings we have been discussing here BREAK that rule or shatters it, depends on how you want to look at it.

Ebay's Presale rule is the item MUST ship to the buyer within 40 Business Days.  These listings are no where near that timeframe.  

Also some of the listings aren't even selling the shoes, they are actually selling PICTURES of the shoes.  The devil is in the details.

Message 135 of 147
latest reply