cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

They lie, they steal, they abandon

Rather than helping customers and assisting them, ebay is focused on doing whatever they can to squeeze every dime possible out of naive sellers and buyers. Even if it means lying and deceiving. It is a disgusting feeling to be taken advantage of by a company of this scale. 

I am sick that I chose to sell my deceased grandmothers watch on ebay. It was something I was forced to do out of severe hardship, and the maurad that ebay seized upon my vulnerability is grotesque. 

I am truly disappointed and outraged by the lack of customer support and empathy that ebay embodies.

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: They lie, they steal, they abandon

So what exactly happened? You're not giving us a lot of detail here.

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

They refused to pay me out for over 30 days. Then charged me a flat fee of 15% of the entire sale rather than the fee that is listed on the websites, of 15% of the FIRST $1,000 and then 6.5% Of the remaining price. With a large ticket sale this is over $200 extra in charges, they have disputed my claims over and over again. I still do not even have my money from the sale. Everyone tells me something different when I call. I've called about a dozen times, and everyone promises me a resolution and then it is not resolved.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@heatherdecair33 

Which watch are you referring to?

For the one that sold on April 17, I why did you list it as fashion jewelry ---> earrings? Is that one genuine and are you absolutely positive? 

As a new seller with nearly $7K in sales of 2 items, your money WILL be held. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&s...

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

EBay puts a Hold on payments to new and returning sellers for up to 30 days.

This is not personal, it's business.

The fees are clearly given as being on purchase price, shipping cost AND the buyer's sale tax. To put that another way, you pay fees on the buyer's whole payment, not on their purchase price.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/selling-fees?id=4822

Do NOT phone. Those clerks are not getting their paychecks from eBay.

The phone reps have a terrible reputation for getting you off the phone as soon as possible even if that means giving you the advice you want to hear instead of the advice you need to have.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.

Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is. Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message. It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://www.facebook.com/ebay— Message button in upper right on landing page.

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/How-do-I-contact-Customer-Support/m-p/32016431#M1783851 -> Automated Assistant, type AGENT -> enter. You will then get more options.

The social media Chat accounts are covered by trained eBay employees with some authority.
And you get a transcript so you can compare what you heard with what you were told.

And get a case number, to quote if you are called back.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

They refused to pay me out for over 30 days. Then charged me a flat fee of 15% of the entire sale rather than the fee that is listed on the websites, of 15% of the FIRST $1,000 and then 6.5% Of the remaining price. With a large ticket sale this is over $200 extra in charges, they have disputed my claims over and over again. I still do not even have my money from the sale. Everyone tells me something different when I call. I've called about a dozen times, and everyone promises me a resolution and then it is not resolved.

It appears you sold two watches or the same watch twice and the first transaction was not completed for some reason. The first listing ended on the 14th of April, the watch was listed in the correct category and would have gone through the authentication program.  The fees would have been 15% because the item sold for under $5,000 as posted in the fee schedule. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1714971108266.png

dbfolks166mt_3-1714971590278.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1714971231428.png

The second listing ended on the 17th of  April but you used a different category that made the watch ineligible for the authentication program and also changed the applicable fee schedule since it was not sold under the watches category. The 15% FVF was applied to the total amount since it was under $5,000.00

dbfolks166mt_4-1714971751138.png

dbfolks166mt_2-1714971389008.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1714971231428.png

I don't sell watches or Jewelry but I am having a real hard time distinguishing between the fees and how they are applied. The category description seems rather ambiguous. 

dbfolks166mt_6-1714972596890.png

dbfolks166mt_5-1714972558958.png

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@heatherdecair33 

Which watch are you referring to?

For the one that sold on April 17, I why did you list it as fashion jewelry ---> earrings? Is that one genuine and are you absolutely positive? 

As a new seller with nearly $7K in sales of 2 items, your money WILL be held. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816&s...

I believe the OP actually only has/had one watch. The first listing that ended on the 14th would have been eligible for shipping and gone through the authentication center. The second one is/was a local pickup only. The first one shipped out of Huntington Beach, CA the second listing was a local pickup in Long Beach, CA. There are a few missing pieces to this story.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I don't sell watches or Jewelry but I am having a real hard time distinguishing between the fees and how they are applied. The category description seems rather ambiguous. 

dbfolks166mt_6-1714972596890.png

dbfolks166mt_5-1714972558958.png

"Watches, Parts & Accessories" is a specific subcategory under the "Jewelry & Watches" category, and the table above is carving it out as an exception. Everything listed under "Jewelry & Watches" gets the same FVF structure (the 15% or 9% setup) except the "Watches, Parts & Accessories" category, which gets its own fee breakdown (15%/+ 6.5%/+ 3%).

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

"Watches, Parts & Accessories" is a specific subcategory under the "Jewelry & Watches" category, and the table above is carving it out as an exception. Everything listed under "Jewelry & Watches" gets the same FVF structure (the 15% or 9% setup) except the "Watches, Parts & Accessories" category, which gets its own fee breakdown (15%/+ 6.5%/+ 3%).

Normally I would get that but you cannot just list an item under Jewelry & Watches it forces you into subcategories even at the Watches, Parts & Accessories level which don't exactly line up with the fee schedule description. 

dbfolks166mt_1-1714977350996.png

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@heatherdecair33 

I get it that you are upset with Ebay because you weren't aware of the money hold policy on new sellers nor did you understand the fee structure for the item you sold.  Neither of which is Ebay lying to you or stealing from you.  You just didn't fully understand some of the basic rules of selling.  Both policies are published by Ebay and the responsibility of sellers to learn. 

It appears that the 2nd time you sold the watch that the buyer was happy with the item as they left feedback on your account. 

I see that you have decided to go ahead and sell more stuff.  I hope your newer transactions go well for you.  Keep in mind that your funds will likely still be held until you get a few more transactions under your belt.

This one you have in the wrong category as it is not a toy.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/375412380888?itmmeta=01HX6AKG09A7WBK1D97BFRMV2P&hash=item57685254d8:g:zowAA...

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

eBay's byzantine fee schedule is ridiculous, but I don't expect 'empathy' from a corporation - despite what our corrupt SCOTUS maintains, corporations are not people.

I'm not surprised the OP got a bit confused.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

I believe the OP actually only has/had one watch. The first listing that ended on the 14th would have been eligible for shipping and gone through the authentication center. The second one is/was a local pickup only. The first one shipped out of Huntington Beach, CA the second listing was a local pickup in Long Beach, CA. There are a few missing pieces to this story.

@heatherdecair33 

So I guess the completed transaction was the second one with local pickup. Did you try selling it on FB marketplace? You could of avoided all fees and had the cash immediately that way.. I've sold on there for many years in san diego and have never had any problems. LA is a busy area so you should have no problem finding buyers. I have most buyers come to my house which makes things easier for me but meet people elsewhere too. I get at least the same price it would sell for here on ebay so my margins are higher. You should give that a try if you haven't already.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@heatherdecair33 

So I guess the completed transaction was the second one with local pickup. Did you try selling it on FB marketplace? You could of avoided all fees and had the cash immediately that way.. I've sold on there for many years in san diego and have never had any problems. LA is a busy area so you should have no problem finding buyers. I have most buyers come to my house which makes things easier for me but meet people elsewhere too. I get at least the same price it would sell for here on ebay so my margins are higher. You should give that a try if you haven't already.

I am getting the impression that the first listing transaction was never actually completed. Not sure what happened and won't speculate but it appears the OP relisted it with local pickup and also changed the category the item was listed in. 

For the sale with local pickup I am not sure what the seller setup with the buyer regarding payment at the time of pickup but if it was cash it begs the question of how eBay held the OP's funds, and how they held those funds for 30 days when it has not been that long since the item sold, even the first one. 

There is more to this story and OP has not returned to provide additional insight. 

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Heather,

As several sellers with far more experience than I possess have addressed your situation, my comment will only deal with your verbiage.

In the future, if you desire a company's assistance, beginning your request with an accusation of lying and cheating is ill advised. Next, stating a company's behavior is akin to being marauders acting in a grotesque manner should be tempered.

Finally, neither e-Bay nor any other e-Commerce company is expected to be empathetic. After all, this IS business.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

The first one sold April 14th, so it hasn't been 30 days yet.

Have a great day.
Message 15 of 27
latest reply