cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping Label Problems

Hi There,

I started selling on Ebay about a year ago and had no problems up until recently. I ship worldwide and print the shipping labels. But sometimes the name and/or address that I print out is in the foreign language of the country that I'm sending the item to.  I drop the package at the postal service as normal, but if there is a foreign name or address, the package is returned to me. Apparently when they scan the bar code it only comes up with the foreign language name or address and it is returned to me. I go to Free Translation and change the foreign language to English and paste over that mailing address to the label, but the bar code scan only senses the foreign language address from the original shipping label and it is still returned. 

Any thoughts on this matter?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Shipping Label Problems

If this just started recently, I'd ask your local PO about it.........  If the label has the city/country printed out in english there shouldn't be a problem with them getting it to that country........  If the country is in Chinese font......then I could see a problem.......

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Shipping Label Problems

I always use whatever the address is in. If it's  in Chinese I write China at the bottom of the label so the PO knows what country to send it to. I imagine when it arrives in China that China Post can read the label no problem. It's not foreign to them, and no problem whereas not sure if all the carriers there can speak and read English.  Not sure why yours are being returned. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Shipping Label Problems

Sorry, reply was meant for oldreck

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Shipping Label Problems

Usually the problem is that there are more characters per address line than allowed, so certain information is cut off, thus missing.

You shouldn't use machine translation to change the address, most likely it will not be 100% correct. Ask the buyer to give you the english version of their address.

I then always print both versions of the address in larger font and paste them on the package.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Shipping Label Problems

@oldreck wrote:

Hi There,

I started selling on Ebay about a year ago and had no problems up until recently. I ship worldwide and print the shipping labels. But sometimes the name and/or address that I print out is in the foreign language of the country that I'm sending the item to.  I drop the package at the postal service as normal, but if there is a foreign name or address, the package is returned to me. Apparently when they scan the bar code it only comes up with the foreign language name or address and it is returned to me. I go to Free Translation and change the foreign language to English and paste over that mailing address to the label, but the bar code scan only senses the foreign language address from the original shipping label and it is still returned. 

Any thoughts on this matter?

You would have to print a NEW shipping label as you cant use the same code.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Shipping Label Problems

@fab_finds4u wrote:

I always use whatever the address is in. If it's  in Chinese I write China at the bottom of the label so the PO knows what country to send it to. I imagine when it arrives in China that China Post can read the label no problem. It's not foreign to them, and no problem whereas not sure if all the carriers there can speak and read English.  Not sure why yours are being returned. 

Addresses have to be in English now. I sent one to Japan in Japenese with JAPAN written it, they returned it for being "not in compliance" because "address was not in English".

C.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply