cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending partial refund: how to complicate a previously easy task ....

Sending a partial refund for a Shipping discount was done on one page up until yesterday on my account.  Now the process is complicated by making it a multi-page process.  

Page 1:  This page is only for the Refund amount, the Buyer is their ID, NOT their full name like the old refund page.  On this page you enter the amount and then click the Next button at the bottom that turns blue once a value is in the refund field.

REFUND 1.png

Page 2: On this page you select the reason and type a message in the field provided BUT the Buyer on this page on the right is again just their ID, NOT their real name.

REFUND 2.png

Page 3: Here is where you review your Refund ... and oh, the Buyer on the right is again their ID, NOT full name.

REFUND 3.png

Page 4:  Your refund is now complete and FINALLY, the Buyer's real name is shown on the right along with their ID (green arrow).

REFUND 4.png

So this was my first time through this new process.  It is now a 4 page process instead of two, I will have to remember the Buyer's name BEFORE starting a refund since eBay hides that info now until the end opposed to the old one page process where the Buyer's name was displayed for use in the typing field for a more personalized note.  Since none of the pages seem to have a back button I could not go back and correct or change anything.  

I am at a loss to explain why the programming department's changes typically mean more steps for simple tasks.  The other one that comes to mind is the Feedback flow.  We used to be able to get to the full feedback history by simply clicking the FB count number, now that too is a multi-step process.  

I just fail to see this (or the Feedback page access) as being any kind of improvement.  This is 2024 and making things easier seems to be a lost art for the venue's programmers.  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Re: Sending partial refund: how to complicate a previously easy task ....

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

Maybe ebay doesn't want sellers to manually issue shipping discounts, personally I would feel annoyed at a seller for doing things in such an outdated way... Sellers can institute automatic multi-order discounts under business shipping policies, then sellers don't even have to click once, it just gives it to the buyer before they even pay.

What I run into, even with using business policies with a combined flat rate rule and offering a promotional free shipping offer, buyers do not always use the shopping cart. So, when a buyer buys multiple items, each with a separate transaction, they end up overpaying for shipping. I combine their orders on the bulk label page and refund the overpayment of shipping charges after I print the label.

I have never had any indication that the buyers in these situations were annoyed with the refund process that I used. I often receive positive feedback regarding the transactions.  

Screenshot 2024-03-01 090038.png

@mcdougle4248 

I get comments of thanks for shipping discounts in FB too at times or in an eBay Message.  It is simply good business and works towards having repeat customers. 

Regards,
Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

Maybe ebay doesn't want sellers to manually issue shipping discounts, personally I would feel annoyed at a seller for doing things in such an outdated way... Sellers can institute automatic multi-order discounts under business shipping policies, then sellers don't even have to click once, it just gives it to the buyer before they even pay.

What I run into, even with using business policies with a combined flat rate rule and offering a promotional free shipping offer, buyers do not always use the shopping cart. So, when a buyer buys multiple items, each with a separate transaction, they end up overpaying for shipping. I combine their orders on the bulk label page and refund the overpayment of shipping charges after I print the label.

I have never had any indication that the buyers in these situations were annoyed with the refund process that I used. I often receive positive feedback regarding the transactions.  

@mcdougle4248 

I get comments of thanks for shipping discounts in FB too at times or in an eBay Message.  It is simply good business and works towards having repeat customers. 

I 100% agree.

When the new version of the refund process rolls out on my account I may find myself back here asking

questions, however, I plan to continue using the refund process when the need arises.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

@broto_64 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 

I 100% agree.

When the new version of the refund process rolls out on my account I may find myself back here asking

questions, however, I plan to continue using the refund process when the need arises.

@mcdougle4248   I will be looking for the Tell us what you think link the next time I process one ... hope they didn't take that away from us too ... 

Regards,
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

That is true, perhaps in light of that it is fair to say ebay's buyer experience doesn't lend itself to certain sales methods such as multi-item purchases. Every venue has its pros and cons, we can chose to work with those or we can try and apply band-aids and try to use work-arounds but ultimately the venue will decide what they will and will not allow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of ebay's upgrades and enhancements either.

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

I just experienced this myself today.  Definitely not as good as the old version, but not problematic enough for the way we use it to bother complaining. I would be happy if they changed it back, though.

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

Exactly what @mcdougle4248  said, it's how I do most of my combined shipping b/c the vast majority of my buyers are not tech-savvy & don't use the Shopping Cart or use it as a holding place for everything they're interested in, so it won't function the way it was intended.  Never once have I had a customer be annoyed, quite the opposite, they tend to be very appreciative.  

This one goes to Eleven - Nigel Tufnel

Simply-the-best-for-you Volunteer Community Mentor
eBay Seller since 1996

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

@broto_64 wrote:

That is true, perhaps in light of that it is fair to say ebay's buyer experience doesn't lend itself to certain sales methods such as multi-item purchases. Every venue has its pros and cons, we can chose to work with those or we can try and apply band-aids and try to use work-arounds but ultimately the venue will decide what they will and will not allow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of ebay's upgrades and enhancements either.

@broto_64 

I started Selling 9 years ago ... it became apparent early on that the venue was good at juggling one ball.  Not much has changed in that regard over the years.  Sure some things have improved but to release any kind of control from the venue to Sellers seems to be something that there is no interest in doing.  To me it smacks as a lack of trust.  So yes, every venue has its pros and cons and yes, many Sellers try to work within those constraints.  

In looking at features that add additional delivery time two come to mind, the Authenticity program and EIS ... yep, BOTH of those features mean an item is shipped to a center that unpacks, inspects, repacks and ships again.  Are the forums here being overrun with customers complaining about long deliveries for those features?  No, not overrun but yes to some complaining.

So to one of my earlier points, giving Sellers & Buyers the ability to work out combined shipping costs as a separate step after a multiple item purchase is only going to add a little more time for delivery, nothing more.  

The issue though is that the Seller would be in control of that and not eBay and therein lies the problem.

Regards,
Message 37 of 42
latest reply

I just fail to see this (or the Feedback page access) as being any kind of improvement. 

@mr_lincoln 

That is why eBay likely does not call these sorts of things "improvements" or even "enhancements" anymore in favor of the word "experience" if they call them anything at all!!!!  As eBay AI would say....'experience the joy of your new refund (or feedback) journey'. LOL. 

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

"That is true, perhaps in light of that it is fair to say ebay's buyer experience doesn't lend itself to certain sales methods such as multi-item purchases. Every venue has its pros and cons, we can chose to work with those or we can try and apply band-aids and try to use work-arounds but ultimately the venue will decide what they will and will not allow.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of ebay's upgrades and enhancements either."

You have said a mouthful there! I do not use any of those descriptive words, as it is more like Let's throw it against the wall and see if it sticks...

It starts with what most will understand as the Monkey see Monkey do syndrome....Amazon does something and changes things up(that do work) and ebay has to try to emulate it and ends up causing more issues...

In regards to the "workaround" statement we used to have a great work around, that was even promoted to use when calling in to ebay about an issue....it was called Pay Pal and no matter how badly the issue(s) were the sale could be salvaged by invoicing thru paypal and presto problem solved...seller made the sale and buyer got what he wanted.....but that worked to well and ebay parted company with pp....

There are many changes that have worked and are truly an asset to ebay like the enhanced pictures that show nice big detailed pictures! But when ebay considers the aspect of making a multi item sale ("fair to say ebay's buyer experience doesn't lend itself to certain sales methods such as multi-item purchases.")!  I am sorry but that aspect should be at the top of ebay priorities to make it function in a smooth easy to understand process!  That is the same thing as saying to both buyer and seller that yes you can buy one item easily, but if you want to buy multiple items we are going to make it difficult to do!!! if not impossible.....who thought this was a good idea?

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

I am convinced that the only reason this has been implemented is to benefit ebay. Not quite sure how, but the only time they make enhancements is to benefit themselves, not the sellers. I think it has to do with the taxes. As one can see from the screenshots, there is no mention of a sales tax refund. eBay is assuming that our collective refunds are for shipping only.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

In my experience, any refund, even a partial for shipping discount, ebay DOES refund the ST portion of the amount of the refund.

The only time they wouldn't do that is if the buyer was in a state which didn't apply ST at all or ST to the shipping portion.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 41 of 42
latest reply

@ihave2manycars wrote:

I am convinced that the only reason this has been implemented is to benefit ebay. Not quite sure how, but the only time they make enhancements is to benefit themselves, not the sellers. I think it has to do with the taxes. As one can see from the screenshots, there is no mention of a sales tax refund. eBay is assuming that our collective refunds are for shipping only.

@ihave2manycars 

The programming M.O. has been to add steps to simple processes ... the partial refund flow is just another victim of that process.  I liken it to being given "busy work" ... which I don't need.  

"Tell us what you think?" ... I use that on a regular basis, hope others will as well.  It may or may not make a difference.  

Regards,
Message 42 of 42
latest reply