cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales Tax

Hi. I just sold an item. I did not see where state tax was withheld? I thought that eBay used to show what the buyer paid in taxes? Has something changed? Thanks

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Sales Tax

@twinky40 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The state is Missouri. Not really sure but it sounds like they were/are one of the last states to start charging online sales tax? 

I think you found the answer.  According to this, Missouri won't start collecting internet sales tax until January 2023:

July, 7, 2021:  JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri will be the last state in the nation to start collecting sales tax on online purchases. The state won’t see the revenue roll in until January 2023.

Gov. Mike Parson signed the bill into law last week, but it will be 18 months before the Department of Revenue will start collecting the online taxes...  

Full story here:

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/government-politics-issues/2021-07-07/online-sales-tax-is-the-law-of...

=

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Sales Tax

Not all states have a sales tax.  Every state that does, has a long list of things that are exempt from sales tax.  Might there have been no sales tax on your item for one of those two reasons?

=

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Thanks for the reply. The state is Missouri. Not really sure but it sounds like they were/are one of the last states to start charging online sales tax? 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Pretty sure Missouri does have sales tax, but maybe not on the item you sold.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

On any of the order pages, orders that had sales tax collected will show an I with a circle.

tax.png

You can click the Order Total link right next to it, or the Order Details link to see what the buyer paid for sales tax for that order.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

You can check the itemization under

Paid & Shipped ----> Order Details

from your seller hub page

also, some buyers have tax-exempt status for their purchases

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Payment info.PNG

Here is what I get when looking at payment information. there is no "i" information present. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

buyer may have set up with tax number to avoid sales tax when purchasing for resale.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate the assistance. A lot of good answers. 🙂

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

@twinky40 wrote:

I think you found the answer.  According to this, Missouri won't start collecting internet sales tax until January 2023:

July, 7, 2021:  JEFFERSON CITY — Missouri will be the last state in the nation to start collecting sales tax on online purchases. The state won’t see the revenue roll in until January 2023.

Gov. Mike Parson signed the bill into law last week, but it will be 18 months before the Department of Revenue will start collecting the online taxes...  

Full story here:

https://news.stlpublicradio.org/government-politics-issues/2021-07-07/online-sales-tax-is-the-law-of...

=

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Maxine*j, WOW!...Awesome! Thank you so very much for that information. I appreciate everyone's time and input. Sincerely.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Sales Tax

Sales tax is the main reason I no longer buy much on eBay. If I buy a used $2000 item and pay the 10% Tennessee sales tax, that's an extra $200. No longer a good deal.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply