cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relentless overseas scammers

Having issues with overseas buyers purchasing items off my store and trying to ship them to sketchy 3rd parties.

When I refund their money because I don't ship to 3rd party re-shippers, they delete their account and try again a few days later.

Each time with a slightly different name.

I've noticed when you click on their profile, it directs you to a different eBay seller. Typically one that has years and years of sales history. But that's not the account that are using. I don't know how they are doing that.

I know these are scammers looking to steal my designs.

As car parts I sell are for vehicles that do not exist in China.

Ever since this started happening my eBay is sales in general have plummeted. 

I'm assuming the eBay algorithm is punishing me for canceling orders.

How am I supposed to deal with this?

It's relentless, non stop every week.

And it's hurting my store by a huge margin.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Relentless overseas scammers

Freight forwarders are the second safest addresses you can ship to. Safer than an apartment house mail room or a suburban porch.

Most of the MBG does not apply to shipments sent to forwarders.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy/ebay-money-back-guarantee-policy...

And while the MBG still applies with Not As Described disputes, you are only required to supply the Return Shipping Label to the forwarder's address.

I know these are scammers looking to steal my designs.

In passing.

"Your" designs? How do they fit a mass manufactured car if they are not copies of the manufacturer's part?

Before I cancel the order, The buyers account will show a completely different store front.

Not this account, but another Store I have has a different name than my eBay account.

It's not unusual.

I really should change it since I don't even use the Store name on my address labels.

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

Parts that I make are completely unique. 

I design, engineered, & modeled everything myself. 

But as I said in the post above apparently they got one of my designs unfortunately. 

It was before I was really vetting addresses closely.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@steph-bagne wrote:

I've shipped to legit 3rd party re-shippers before.

That's not an issue

But when the buyer's account hyper links to a completely different account,

Then the buyer immediately deletes their account, Red flags pop up.

Or when the address provided has nothing but forum posts saying "GOT SCAMMED BY THIS RE-SHIPPER"

I tend to not trust such buyers.

Idk what to do when I get spammed with this group or individuals.

Something is really wrong here.

Buyer, heck any member can't delete their account.  They MUST submit a request to Ebay and Ebay has to approve it.  The process takes a little time.

IDK what this "hyper link" is about.  There isn't a place for a buyer to legitimately have one of those in or on their account.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 35
latest reply

Parts that I make are completely unique. 

I design, engineered, & modeled everything myself. 

But as I said in the post above apparently they got one of my designs unfortunately. 

It was before I was really vetting addresses closely.

If you are the IP owner then become part of the VERO program and you can have postings removed if they infringe on your IP rights. 

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-policies/selling-policies/vero-policy?id=4349 

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@steph-bagne wrote:

Basically every time I cancel and refund an order, The buyer's account becomes "no longer a registered user".

Before I cancel the order, The buyers account will show a completely different store front.

A storefront with a completely different name and usually something well established. 

But when I cancel the order, that username will just default to "No longer a registered user"

Something isn't right here, let me say this:
When a buyer pays for a purchase it is the seller's obligation to ship that item to the buyer.

It is my suggestion don't go looking into that, doing things such as playing detective by googling the address is not going to work out in your favor. Also I am not sure how you are refunding these buyers but if you are cancelling for reason "problem with buyer's address" or even "buyer asked" ebay can impose severe defects if you're caught (and all it takes is a buyer reports you for "unwilling to complete the sale") and soon it will be your account that is NARU.

So again it is my suggestion simply ship anything and everything a buyer has paid for, don't question it, just ship it.

@steph-bagne wrote:

No, apparently before I started noticing the China boys scammers I let one ship to that 3rd party reshipper.

The same address I mentioned above.

That was December 22nd 2023.

The copy cat item listings are almost all new within a week ago.

I guess on the positive side, because I water marked all of my photos; they couldn't steal any. 

That and that and they don't have the cars that I'm selling parts for so all all their photos are just CGI nonsense.

It's all so tiresome.

This I can relate to, I've had my original parts stolen before and the practice has become widespread.
There is however no way to truly stop it, that I know of.
Certainly cancelling sales is more likely to hurt us as sellers than it does them, so be careful there.

@steph-bagne wrote:

But, it looks like they haven't sold any so far.

Jokes on them, the community I make parts for is VERY small.

& Since The part is incredibly difficult to manufacture, they only managed to undercut me by 10%.

Usually the China boys can under cut by 1/2 .

I am actually glad to hear that.

Again I've been having trouble with this as well, so diligence on our part should pay off...

Watermarks is good, supposedly against ebay policy but I'm far past caring there.
Odd your item hasn't been duplicated onto the US-ship ebay, many a Chinese copycat have US sellers too... These are far more damaging than China-ship ebay sellers.
One thing I have found that helps is nowadays I sell way more one of a kind items than multi-quantity.

I have also included in my "description" (and item specifics too) a line that states "This item originated from (name of my ebay store)" and am waiting for them to copy that into a listing.

You may wish to check into DMCA takedowns.
Not VERO's, although if you can become a Vero member that would be even better, but DMCA.
Keep in mind most often these copycats are not just on ebay, but I've watched them take my items onto Amazon and Walmart as well (hence why I got into researching DMCA takedowns, have never actually sent one off but I may sometime in the future).

Message 35 of 35
latest reply