cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for you Rockstars

I had a great week last week and I was getting my confidence back. 

However-right now, I have 12 unpaid items in my backlog. All of them are auctions.

In your experience, is it better to list as BIN only? 

As a buyer on eBay, I enjoy the bidding process a lot, the rush of waiting until there's 30 seconds left and outbidding someone, but as a seller, I'm pretty frustrated.

What works for you "rockstars?" Share your wisdom.....

Thanks!

Amy

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Question for you Rockstars

Yes, listing as BIN with immediate payment required is much better than auctions in most categories right now, and I am no "rockstar"

Message 16 of 31
latest reply

I use both auctions and buy it now listings.  I don't really stress much about non payers.  I give them a strike after 4 days, block, and move on.  I start my auctions at the lowest price I would be happy with, never the  eBay 99¢ ploy.  Why they suggest that I will never know.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 17 of 31
latest reply

Most of what you are selling would do better fixed price/immediate payment required. You can always run things on auction then convert them to fixed price after one run if they don't sell, but for heaven's sake, stop the .99 starts or you'll lose your shirt. I'm sorry eBay is *still* suggesting that out-dated strategy.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 18 of 31
latest reply

Ytd auction sales 24k vs bin 3k..hmmm

Just keep block listing the no response bidders. 

Message 19 of 31
latest reply

Also might want to check your listings for duplications..noticed a couple shirt lists up twice ..

But yeah always check with your failed to pay some might be sitting thinking they had or some sort of technical issue occurring. 

Message 20 of 31
latest reply

Hi Amy! 
I mainly use fixed price listings with Immediate Payment Required, without Best Offer as it voids the IPR setting. Auctions and Best Offer both have the risk of non-payers.

Auctions i reserve for scarce in-demand goods, or special one of a kind items. Depending on demand, i usually start auctions at the lowest price i’d be happy with if just one bid comes in. Bidding wars are rarer these days so starting an auction at 99 cents is one more risk added onto an already risky environment (online sales). 

Are you using your Buyer Requirements to block serial non-payers from having access to your listings? Below is the link to the Help pages on how to set that up if you haven't already. Waiting the 4 days for a winner to remit and then canceling for “Buyer didn’t pay” on day 5 gives the deadbeat a non-paying strike that prevents them from accessing thousands of savvy sellers’ listings who have their Buyer Requirements set at the strictest levels.

Best of luck to you and wish you much continued success.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/setting-buyer-requirements?id=...

Message 21 of 31
latest reply

Auctions work well in some categories and not so much in others.  You need to decide if you are doing a good enough business in the auctions to keep doing them.  12 is a lot of non payers, but you do a pretty good volume of sales.  

I only run GTC [good till cancelled] listings as auctions don't work well for me anymore.  Buyers tend to want what I sell now and they don't want to wait for an auction to end.  But again, you need to look at your own business and if you are making money on auctions, then continue on.

I would encourage you to have your Site Preferences for Buyer Requirements set to the strictest possible for non paying buyers.  That would be 2 strikes in the past 12 months.

Buyer Requirement 4-15-22.jpg

Then when you have these non payers, if no money arrives in 96 hours and one minute from their winning bid, file the Cancellation using the reasons of Non Paying Buyer.    That gets them an unpaid strike on their account.

If they have done this to someone else or do it again after this, they will be blocked from bidding or buying from you and many other sellers.  But we all need to be filing these cancellations when appropriate and make sure our Buyer requirements are set properly too.

If the buyer tries to bid on a seller that has their requirements set, the buyer will get a message on their screen that tells them they can not purchase from this seller.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 22 of 31
latest reply

Good Morning!!

I am not a Rockstar, but this is my thoughts.

I run both auctions and BIN.   For me, the dollars are about the same. 

I added a block for bidders with non-payments.  That helped a lot. 

Also, I really don't worry about the payment process.  The item sits in limbo until it either times out or gets paid for.  Until it is paid for it is still mine.  It's great if the buyer who isn't going to pay cancels. However, that really is rare for me.   

Over the summer I have had two non-paying bidders.  One told me he wasn't going to pay before he even won the bid but did not want to cancel.  (Made no sense)  

Just my Two Cents...
Thank you for being here!
Penny
Message 23 of 31
latest reply

you have set up your Seller Preferences/Buyer Requirements to automatically Block bidders with Strikes for Unpaid Items, right? And you have been waiting the 96 hours for your automatic Cancellation of unpaid transactions, so that the deadbeats get a Strike?

I do now, I didn't before. Thank you for that reminder.

Message 24 of 31
latest reply

Yes, they are being canceled 96 hours after non payment. Thank you for the reminder!

Message 25 of 31
latest reply

Now I feel really old 🙂

Message 26 of 31
latest reply

No, according to eBay you are a "Guide"

Message 27 of 31
latest reply

Thanks so much for that, doing it now!

Message 28 of 31
latest reply

Thank you so much for all of that advice! I'm going to triple check everything today.

Message 29 of 31
latest reply

Thank you so much for your great reply, and the screenshots are really helpful!!!!

Message 30 of 31
latest reply