cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payment Hold prevents me from shipping item to buyer

How do I 

1. contact a human to assist me 

2. How do I refund the buyers money because I cannot ship the item as the payment is being held for two weeks

3. I have a stellar record for shipping and I do not know why the buyers funds are bing held for over two weeks.

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

Are you saying you aren't going to ship an item due to payment being on hold?

This is why you need a backup payment source.

If a buyer filed for a return, those funds are put on hold so you have the funds to refund once widget is returned.

You always need a backup plan for situations like this.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

If you have not sold been selling in past 90 days, new or returning sellers will have a hold on payouts. 

You should still be able to use those pending funds for shipping, if not, you need to still ship with in your stated shipping time. If you don't you will get a strike and maybe another if the item does not reach the buyer by the shown estimated date. 

Because the funds have not been released to you, any refunds will come out of your pocket not the funds being held. 

If your shipping window has not passed, suggest you get it in the mail. 

What reason would you use to cancel the sale? 

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

If you have not sold for a while, your funds are being held as you are considered a new seller or intermittent seller. Funds can be held for up to 30 days. 

If the item is marked as awaiting shipment, you need to ship within your stated handling time. 

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

@cubakahn wrote:

How do I 

2. How do I refund the buyers money because I cannot ship the item as the payment is being held for two weeks

3. I have a stellar record for shipping and I do not know why the buyers funds are bing held for over two weeks.

@cubakahn 

Although the funds are held before being released to you, you are able to use the money in the pending payouts to purchase the shipping label. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

@cubakahn wrote:

How do I 

No need to contact a human. You are an infrequent/new seller...your funds will be on hold for a specified period of time..(at minimum until the item is delivered to the buyer)

That makes no sense. What reason would you choose for a refund? Your account has funds that are being processed, then being held per your agreement. Why penalize the buyer and your account?

It is outlined in the policies regarding payments. Once you sell a few items, the 'hold' period is virtually eliminated.....

As Noted, you can use the held funds to pay for your shipping label, so you do not need to front any monies. Just scroll down the shipping label page to the very bottom and choose that option (Paypal or my funds are the options)....

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

This is unfortunate. 

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

I am an old seller (great record) who has not sold in a while because I sold an item and the buyer insisted he didn't receive the item. I lost money and stopped selling. 

I returned to selling to sell this item and perhaps others. (Didn't see the "new" fine print as I am familiar with selling. 

And, it does "make sense" if funds are hold for 18 days that impacts the shipping. 

What doesn't "make sense" is holding funds for a very good if not great seller and buyer for 18 days. 

18 days is a very long time to hold funds. 

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

@cubakahn wrote:

This is unfortunate. 

What's unfortunate? You can access the funds for the label! You don't have to lay out a cent from your pocket.

You do NOT want to refund the buyer's payment and cancel the order. That will put a huge defect on your account, potentially preventing you for listing and selling in the future. And the buyer will be within their rights to express their disappointment for the unwarranted cancellation in the feedback they might leave. 

Ship the item and once tracking shows delivery, you'll be protected against INR. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

Holding funds for 18 days for a great seller and buyer is wrong. 

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

Yes, unfortunate that some returning sellers are not aware of payment holds.

PayPal did it back in the day. eBay now being the one that gets stuck if there is an issue with a returning seller with no recent selling does it.

Just ship it using processing funds by purchasing a label through eBay. Online labels are discounted. Cheaper than purchasing at the post office.

You are not a "great seller". You have sold 57 iems. None in the past year. 

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

If I have no money to ship and item and need the funds for shipping (I charged for "shipping" ) then the seller might have trouble shipping.

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@cubakahn wrote:

What doesn't "make sense" is holding funds for a very good if not great seller and buyer for 18 days. 

18 days is a very long time to hold funds. 

EVERY seller who is either new or hasn't sold items in the last 90 days is subject to holds. 

Your history shows that you received just 3 feedbacks as a seller and those are ancient. Past history isn't necessarily indicative of your current follow-through on sales. And in wanting to cancel because of a hold won't help!  

albertabrightalberta

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@cubakahn wrote:

If I have no money to ship and item and need the funds for shipping (I charged for "shipping" ) then the seller might have trouble shipping.

@cubakahn : I don't get the sense that you're understanding the answers you're getting here. Although the funds for an occasional seller may be held, you can still use those funds to buy the shipping label through eBay (which gets you a good discount off retail price as well). eBay does allow held funds to be used for shipping.

As for the remainder of those held funds beyond what you use for the shipping, they will be released to you soon enough, and the hold itself will go away with future sales. They're not going to get suddenly returned to the buyer after eBay says that you're clear to ship.

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Hit the most recent, then check again. OP has more than 3. (27) Just another eBay whatever coding display issue..

But yes, all old feedback.

Message 15 of 31
latest reply