cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Nice Goin' Melvin!!'

Probably one of the funniest TV spots ever made was done in the 1980s for some Zoos.  It features scenes of animals doing things with comical voice over captions.  If you search out there for Detroit Zoo ad 1980s, you should find it.

Relevance to this board follows.

In one scene, a group of monkeys is running in one direction.  After a few other scenes, you see the monkeys running in the other direction and the voice over is 'Nice Goin' Melvin!!'

That's how I see this company.  For far too many years now, they've been chasing the wrong monkey, running in the wrong direction.  They've been after a higher quantity of low quality sales.  The forced addition of B/O, nagging messages to lower prices, 'free' shipping, 'free' returns and so on.  They want sales, any sales any at price ...  anything to get the FVF on the gamble that the buyer won't bother to return, even if unsatisfied.

They need to get turned around and chase the other monkey ...  quality sales; ones that stick, even if it means lesser quantities of sales.  Better value over higher numbers.

But we all know that ain't a'gonna happen no time soon.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Re: 'Nice Goin' Melvin!!'

@chrysylys wrote:

Probably one of the funniest TV spots ever made was done in the 1980s for some Zoos.  It features scenes of animals doing things with comical voice over captions.  If you search out there for Detroit Zoo ad 1980s, you should find it.

Relevance to this board follows.

In one scene, a group of monkeys is running in one direction.  After a few other scenes, you see the monkeys running in the other direction and the voice over is 'Nice Goin' Melvin!!'

That's how I see this company.  For far too many years now, they've been chasing the wrong monkey, running in the wrong direction.  They've been after a higher quantity of low quality sales.  The forced addition of B/O, nagging messages to lower prices, 'free' shipping, 'free' returns and so on.  They want sales, any sales any at price ...  anything to get the FVF on the gamble that the buyer won't bother to return, even if unsatisfied.

They need to get turned around and chase the other monkey ...  quality sales; ones that stick, even if it means lesser quantities of sales.  Better value over higher numbers.

But we all know that ain't a'gonna happen no time soon.

That last line is just about as funny as the commercial.

Soon.  Soon?  Soon!

Ahhhhh, the descriptive phrasing I can think of for the word 'soon'.  Smiley Very Happy  Smiley Surprised  Smiley Wink

Volumes, volumes, I tell you!

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 2
latest reply