cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I keep undesirable buyers from purchasing my items?

By undesirable, I mean buyers that have an "Unregistered" account (to my understanding, these are users without a verified Paypal who are paying via credit card) or "Non-US, Unverified" accounts with Paypal.

I am just starting out selling on ebay and right now I sell only electronics, so I am very wary of putting myself at risk for potential scams.

I have read a lot of horror stories about credit card chargebacks and also about international buyers who use freight forwarding companies to circumvent the fact that I do not sell internationally.

I have been playing around with different "requirements" in my listings, ranging from this:

No international buyers. Orders using a freight company will be cancelled. You must have a feedback score of at least 10, and an account that is at least 1 month old or the order will be cancelled!

To this which is more extreme:

Due to the hurricanes, orders to addresses in Florida CANNOT be processed right now!

No international buyers. You must have a feedback score of at least 10, and an account that is at least 1 month old or the order will be cancelled!

The reason I chose to use the hurricane as an excuse not to sell to Florida addresses is because I noticed that is where almost all of the international buyers using a freight forwarding company are located.

I realize to a seasoned seller all of my concerns may seem totally irrational and ridiculous, however I am merely looking to protect myself since I am just starting out and want to try to cut down on potential scams.

I understand "seller" protection and shipping all packages with tracking and signature confirmation, but I am still weary.

Can anyone tell me how to prevent people with an "Unregistered" Paypal or people with a "Non-US, Unverified" Paypal from buying my lots?

I also understand that by cancelling these orders because people do not pay attention to what I wrote in the listing that I could also be at potential risk for having a below average seller rating if they give me a neg or whatever, and I do not want that either!

Thank you in advance for anyone who may be able to steer me in the right direction.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: How do I keep undesirable buyers from purchasing my items?

@jonathankirkland wrote:

Allow me to re-phrase some of my concerns:

If I receive a Paypal payment from a user that is "Unregistered", that means it is a credit card payment correct? And if so, is it possible they can do a charge back and I will lose my money even if I ship it with tracking and signature confirmation?

Anybody who pays via PayPal can pay via credit card and then do a chargeback months later.

How do I avoid international buyers using freight companies based in the US from purchasing my lots? Am I basically forced to sell to people doing this?

As noted, use the PayPal block on international accounts.

Additionally, I have tried tirelessly searching how to setup specific restrictions in Paypal such as blocking international payments, but everything I find leads me to believe I need a Business account with Paypal instead of just a personal one that I have. When I go to create a business account, Paypal asks for a business name which does not exist, so I feel at a loss how to proceed on this as well.

You don't need a business name. Skip that entry or make one up.

I most definitely want to do everything correctly and follow the rules, but now I feel weary since I have cancelled several orders from people who did not meet my requirements. What can I do to reverse any damage that may be caused from this?

Damage from defect points is irreversible unless you can convince eBay customer support that the defect point was inappropriate, which is not the case here.  The only other remedy is time -- defect points stay on your account for a full year.  The percentage is based on total sales transaction so one way to keep the percentage down is to have lots of transactions.  Low-value transactions count the same as high-value ones in your defect percentage

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Wow.

On eBay, you can require buyers to have a PayPal account that is linked to their eBay account. This will do nothing but lose sales opportunities. I can do a CC chargeback when I pay via PayPal, since I fund the payment with a CC.

On PayPal, you can block payments from other countries. This is the only way to block shipments to freight forwarders.

You cannot block people based on their feedback score or account age. If you cancel the purchase, you will receive a defect on your account.

As far as eBay is concerned, if a buyer in Florida has electricity, access to a computer, and a desire to purchase from you, you need to ship, or receive a defect on your account.

You cannot require immediate payment if you accept an offer. The buyer will have a minimum of six days to pay.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

I most definitely want to do everything correctly and follow the rules, but now I feel weary since I have cancelled several orders from people who did not meet my requirements. What can I do to reverse any damage that may be caused from this?

Oh. That's bad. The damage can't be reversed, it can only age off.

What is your current rating on your seller Dashboard?

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Funny you mention Florida - I have sold many items to buyers in Florida AND Texas this past week.  Not everybody was wiped out by the hurricanes.

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

And people who WERE wiped out have to buy a lot of replacement stuff.

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@rixstuff wrote:

Funny you mention Florida - I have sold many items to buyers in Florida AND Texas this past week.  Not everybody was wiped out by the hurricanes.

Same here. Most of my orders are from Florida and Texas.

Bless their hearts.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

My seller rating is currently "above standard" as of today. However, there are a few outstanding cancellations that the buyers never agreed to, so I suspect once those resolve, my rating will fall to below standard.

I have learned much here, and for now I suppose what I will do to proceed is just be more trusting of buyers intentions and not cancel any sales or worry about any issues until such an issue arrives.

I will just accept the consequences of ignorance and move on.

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@thatsallfolks wrote:

@jonathankirkland wrote:

My seller rating is currently "above standard" as of today. However, there are a few outstanding cancellations that the buyers never agreed to, so I suspect once those resolve, my rating will fall to below standard.

I have learned much here, and for now I suppose what I will do to proceed is just be more trusting of buyers intentions and not cancel any sales or worry about any issues until such an issue arrives.

I will just accept the consequences of ignorance and move on.

One of the consequences will be an increase in your Final Value Fee from 10% to 14%. Another might be a reduction in the # or $ amount you're allowed to list. And unfortunately, depending on how many transactions you canceled, one might be permanent suspension.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

@thatsallfolks wrote:

One of the consequences will be an increase in your Final Value Fee from 10% to 14%. Another might be a reduction in the # or $ amount you're allowed to list. And unfortunately, depending on how many transactions you canceled, one might be permanent suspension.

I had no idea this could happen or I obviously wouldn't have been so quick to just cancel transactions left and right haha.

What makes it even more sad is I was very close to achieving the "Top Rated Seller" qualifications.

Oh well, live and learn. I'll just have to hope for the best since what's done is done.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

You can't really reverse any damage you caused from this.

You can read up on Seller defects and performance standards, though. 

Just a thought.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

I am just starting out selling on ebay and right now I sell only electronics, so I am very wary of putting myself at risk for potential scams.

Your best defense is to not sell electronics (a troublesome category for new sellers) until you have enough experience to know what you are doing and what the real risks are.  Start with small, safe stuff to sell.  Read the applicable policies.  With experience and knowledge of the policies to protect yourself, you may find that some of those horror stories are lacking crucial details, or based on seller ignorance.

"No international buyers. Orders using a freight company will be cancelled. You must have a feedback score of at least 10, and an account that is at least 1 month old or the order will be cancelled!"

Terms like this tend to backfire.  They are too hostile.  Knowledgeable buyers will either buy knowing that you can't enforce them, or hit the back button in record time because you come across as hard to work with.  The buyers you don't want either won't even read your terms or they will read them and take it as a challenge.

Your listing is your advertising space.  Use it to tell people why they should buy your item.  Not why they are not allowed to buy from you.

A couple of notes on your current listings:  you have Media Mail listed for shipping on your video games.  Video games are not eligible for Media Mail, so that's not a good idea. 

You have PO Boxes blocked, when you are using USPS.  There is no reason to block PO boxes.  It is safer shipping to them than it is to a street address where a package may be left in a streetside mailbox or on a front step, for example.

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

There is no way to know, till you are defrauded, which will happen, it's become more common lately and ebay won't do a **bleep** thing.  once defrauded you can now add the fraudelent buyer to your blocked b uyer list. 

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

Whenever I see those types of disclaimers I just hit the back-button. There are many more sellers out there, especially with electronics. Too many "conditions" definately indicate paranoia and inexperience. The Florida line is just sad  Smiley Sad ...

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@annadryl wrote:

Whenever I see those types of disclaimers I just hit the back-button. There are many more sellers out there, especially with electronics. Too many "conditions" definately indicate paranoia and inexperience. The Florida line is just sad  Smiley Sad ...

I'd even go so far as to say that disclaimers like that are scammer magnets because they tell any potential scammers that the seller doesn't understand how eBay's policies work.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

@muttlymob wrote:

A couple of notes on your current listings:  you have Media Mail listed for shipping on your video games.  Video games are not eligible for Media Mail, so that's not a good idea.

I have sent and received dozens of video games via media mail - never had a problem.

But I agree with everyone else. I've removed all those other "paranoid" limitations from my listings.

I appreciate all of the constructive criticism from everyone, thank you.

Message 30 of 35
latest reply