cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How 2 change my eBay bank got putrid vile bad service from TD Bank yesterday. Shocking!

For 4 years that was my bank receiving my eBay payout account money from sales.

I ran into 2 mean girls crackpot tellers threatening me to close my bank account.

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

How 2 change my eBay bank got putrid vile bad service from TD Bank yesterday. Shocking!

Whaaaaaat? Where I come from, we close our accounts fast for such as that. No time for mean girls... 😑

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Go to the bank and close your account! Take the money and run. 

Then go to a new bank, probably next door or across the street (since there are banks everywhere) and open a new account. 

I'll bet they'll be thrilled to get the business. 

Then go into your account and change the banking information.

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

I ran into 2 mean girls crackpot tellers threatening me to close my bank account.

Times are a changin

When employees find company policies inconvenient, you sometimes find they make their own policies.

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

When closing the account, I would ask to speak with the manager, and tell him why you are closing the account.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Should have called their bluff. Usually tellers don't open & close accounts, they direct you to someone higher up to do that. You could have explained to that person why you're closing your account, then those tellers could explain why they're driving people to close their accounts.

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

what was the problem? 

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

In a nutshell I made a large cash sale selling to a neighborhood store a diamond ring.

$3,600.

I decided to immediately place my money into my own TD bank account 2 blocks away easy Peasy but when I arrived there 1 teller said they are not accepting money.

Ok I was wrong here I got angry and cursed saying, “what the f—- kind of bank is this not accepting my own cash deposit.

They informed me I needed a formal picture id and didn’t accept my own banking debit card in my hand as my id.  And they said I was attempting to deposit too much money!  I asked how much should I be depositing and the teller wouldn’t tell me an ok amount to deposit!
The other teller who knows me jumped in asking me how about she closes my bank account right then and there because she (the 2nd teller) didn’t like my attitude.

i admit I cursed which I shouldn’t have done but I’ve been in business 40-50 years and oftentimes have really very large deposits that my other bank 🏦 account never has an issue in accepting any amount of cash ever. I wasn’t trying to withdraw money but to deposit it!

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Any cash deposit of $10,000 must be reported, so they would need your ID for that.

Tellers are the lowest on the ladder when it comes to power in the bank and swearing at them certainly was not going to get them to change the bank policy or rule.  

$3600 may not seem like a lot but if the teller has been told they need Photo ID, then you say,  Thank you, I'll be back with my ID.  Thanks for letting me know. Have a nice day.

I just don't think it is fair for anyone to get angry or swear at someone that is just doing their job.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

I agree but that’s what happened yesterday having made many cash deposits my entire life.

I knew about the $10,000. Rule not 

$3,600. 

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

The other teller who knows me jumped in asking me how about she closes my bank account right then and there because she (the 2nd teller) didn’t like my attitude.

@jewelbiz 

That kinda sounds like the teller who knows you wanted the 2nd teller reported/fired, too. (I don't mind cursing, FWIW.)

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

In a nutshell I made a large cash sale selling to a neighborhood store a diamond ring.

$3,600.

I decided to immediately place my money into my own TD bank account 2 blocks away easy Peasy 

They informed me I needed a formal picture id and didn’t accept my own banking debit card in my hand as my id. 

Since you're giving them money, shouldn't the teller show you their not-the-bank ID?

Bank of Umberica won't take any size cash deposits from not-the-accountholder e.g. parents or grandparents into their college kid's account.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

$3,600.

I decided to immediately place my money into my own TD bank account 2 blocks away easy Peasy but when I arrived there 1 teller said they are not accepting money.

Ok I was wrong here I got angry and cursed saying, “what the f—- kind of bank is this not accepting my own cash deposit.

They informed me I needed a formal picture id and didn’t accept my own banking debit card in my hand as my id.  And they said I was attempting to deposit too much money!  I asked how much should I be depositing and the teller wouldn’t tell me an ok amount to deposit!

i admit I cursed which I shouldn’t have done but I’ve been in business 40-50 years and oftentimes have really very large deposits that my other bank 🏦 account never has an issue in accepting any amount of cash ever. I wasn’t trying to withdraw money but to deposit it!

Dang your reaction is likely what cause the turmoil.  It was over the top.  I get why you were upset, but the tellers are trying to deal with bank regulations and likely required picture ID for cash deposits over a certain about.  You could have been far more professional than you were in the beginning and the situation likely would have never happened.

I wouldn't have liked your attitude as the teller either.  They aren't required to take verbal abuse from customers like you were dishing out.  You set the tone and then it just escalated.  Everyone likely over reacted.

But it is entirely possible you may be happier at a different bank.  Before you decide, you might want to check what their policies are on cash deposits, so you know in advance as they may not be much different.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

I agree but that’s what happened yesterday having made many cash deposits my entire life.

I knew about the $10,000. Rule not 

$3,600. 

Anti Money Laundering Laws and the Patriot Act have changed many things in the banking system.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@jewelbiz wrote:

$3,600.

Well - that got stupid in a hurry. 

@jewelbiz wrote:

And here we are transitioning into nonsense. 

First of all - do you normally go out in public without even a drivers license or state ID or something like that on you? Your banking debit card is irrelevant to an in-person transaction and does not prove who you are - just a name on a card. (You could have used it to deposit your cash into the bank ATM though.) 

Yes - the bank tellers probably got a bit testy with you and you did not help the situation either - especially as by your own account it sounds like you were first to launch an F-bomb. If I were you I would go back in with an apology and ask them how a $3600 cash deposit should be handled - then do it. I suspect you could have avoided all this by simply presenting your photo ID when requested.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply