cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishing lure identification help

I purchased this lure today along with a bunch of other lures, all  of the old lures I received are creek chub or Heddon. It looks like paw paw or creek chub to me. Please let me know what you think. Thank you!

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Fishing lure identification help

I think a photo would be very helpful.  Smiley Wink

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

I  put photos on the original post but got an error message and that removed them. Thank you

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

I can't help you with identification but there is one thing I can definitely tell you.

If you open these up to worldwide you would get a LOT more money for them, not just a few dollars but perhaps hundreds of dollars. There are collectors in Japan that really pay big money for these old lures especially the ones where you have the boxes.

I've seen some of these old wooden lures go for a couple of thousand dollars!!!!!!! But they are almost always to foreign buyers.

Nice score!!!!

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Have a look here to see what happen if you have the right lures.....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=heddon&_sacat=1492&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

My girlfriend sold an old lure on Ebay for over $6000 a couple years ago.  The buyer lives on an island owned by Japan.  I'll try to remember to ask her to send me a picture and the exact sales or post it here. 

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

I can't help you with identification but there is one thing I can definitely tell you.

If you open these up to worldwide you would get a LOT more money for them, not just a few dollars but perhaps hundreds of dollars. There are collectors in Japan that really pay big money for these old lures especially the ones where you have the boxes.

I've seen some of these old wooden lures go for a couple of thousand dollars!!!!!!! But they are almost always to foreign buyers.

Nice score!!!!

I have about 100 old wooden and other lures, same brands and more, and reels, many with original boxes, that my father left me; I haven't got to them yet but this information is great! My eyes lit up when I saw the prices in your link. I didn't realize the market was so hot, about a year ago it didn't seem this good. Thanks for the tip about international selling!

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@ohnojoey wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Nice score!!!!

I have about 100 old wooden and other lures, same brands and more, and reels, many with original boxes, that my father left me; I haven't got to them yet but this information is great! My eyes lit up when I saw the prices in your link. I didn't realize the market was so hot, about a year ago it didn't seem this good. Thanks for the tip about international selling!

The prices for these lures (if they are the right ones) has never been low, in fact the current prices I see are a bit lower than I expected. About 10 years ago a seller here found a few of these and they all sold for anywhere from $2,000 - $5,000 !!!!!! He also had a couple of 100 year old bamboo fly rods.....they went for REALLY big money and then like now the heavy spenders are all outside the USA.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

@ohnojoey wrote:

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Nice score!!!!

The prices for these lures (if they are the right ones) has never been low, in fact the current prices I see are a bit lower than I expected. About 10 years ago a seller here found a few of these and they all sold for anywhere from $2,000 - $5,000 !!!!!! He also had a couple of 100 year old bamboo fly rods.....they went for REALLY big money and then like now the heavy spenders are all outside the USA.

Well that's great. I actually have about 600 items, different lures,  reels, rods, accessories, and have not done much research yet, although a year or so ago I started to ID them and catalog/photograph them by brands and no names...but I got tired and boxed them up for later... "out of sight, out of mind".

Now I have a renewed interest for reading your posts and the op's, not to mention, seeing the prices received recently and, you know, knowledge is power, so I never rushed to list anything until I know what I have.

God bless my father! He was a fisherman for all but the first few of his 98 years. Some of the items from his father, most from the early 1900's. (I think) edit

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

Nice score!!!!

Great advice. The same holds true for certain old fly fishing flys/lures. Especially those that were manufactured in England by Hardy in the late 1800s to the early 1900s. But once again today's primary collector's market $$$ currently exist within Asia.

Message 10 of 10
latest reply