cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay charging 20+% fees for sales?

I was recently running some numbers on my latest sales on Ebay, and I realized that as of January 2024 I'm consistently being charged ~20% fees for every item I sell.

I deducted the standard $0.30 per sale from the transactions and ran a percentage off of the remainder, and found I'm consistently being charged 19.25% for every transaction. 

Example item sale:

- Item Price: $28.75

- Sales Tax: $2.37

- Fee: $6.29

That brings the fee to 19.248% ((6.29-0.30) / (28.75 + 2.37)

What is the reason for being charged 19.25% all of the sudden? Has Ebay updated their rates?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

It could be because after your last seller evaluation you were found to be below standard, when a seller falls below standard. eBay charges an additional 6% on fvf.  Check your seller dashboard it will tell you what your seller level is. 
Seller Performance 

Monitoring and improving your seller performance 

Selling Fees >See Sellers not meeting performance expectations

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

It could be because after your last seller evaluation you were found to be below standard, when a seller falls below standard. eBay charges an additional 6% on fvf.  Check your seller dashboard it will tell you what your seller level is. 
Seller Performance 

Monitoring and improving your seller performance 

Selling Fees >See Sellers not meeting performance expectations

Message 2 of 67
latest reply

There is a domestic fee and an International fee if it was a buyer from another country or used with a credit card from another country.

A seller's fee is on item + shipping + tax.

You need to go into "payments'..."see all activity"...clink into item and clink into "see fee details".

And if its high...then maybe you need to take a serious look at your dashboard...to see your selling mistakes.

Message 3 of 67
latest reply

Yep; sounds like you are 'below standard' paying that 6% penalty. 

Message 4 of 67
latest reply

@its_jofae 

The 6.29 FVF you quoted above ALREADY includes the 30 cent per transaction fee.  You should not include the 30 cent fee as it will mess up your calculation.  The 30 cent fee is charged on all transaction no matter how much the sale prices was for.  So on a 30 dollar sale it has more impact to the percentage than it does on a 300 dollar sale.  So to get a true percentage leave it out.

$5.99 divided by $31.12 [28.75 + 2.37] = 19.25 %

So the regular FVF is likely 13.25%, if you add in the 6% penalty fee for falling below standard, that equals 19.25%.

Ebay would have sent you an email notifying you that your evaluation showed you are Below Standard and that the penalty fee was going to be charged on all of your sales.  You need to check your emails.

Also something I encourage ALL sellers to do is to review their Seller Dashboard at a minimum of Weekly.  That way you will see if you have any problem areas brewing.  I really encourage you to make this part of your daily or weekly process so you can be proactive instead of reactive.

https://sellerstandards.ebay.com/dashboard?region=US

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 5 of 67
latest reply

Unless you are using Free Shipping (including your shipping costs in your sellingprice) your fee is probably right.

30c servicefee- not refundable.

13.25%on selling price - 3.88

13.25% on sales tax- $0.32

13.25% on shipping - $1.70 

How much did you charge for shipping?

Message 6 of 67
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

Unless you are using Free Shipping (including your shipping costs in your sellingprice) your fee is probably right.

30c servicefee- not refundable.

13.25%on selling price - 3.88

13.25% on sales tax- $0.32

13.25% on shipping - $1.70 

How much did you charge for shipping?

The transaction was Free Shipping.

Message 7 of 67
latest reply

@its_jofae wrote:

I was recently running some numbers on my latest sales on Ebay, and I realized that as of January 2024 I'm consistently being charged ~20% fees for every item I sell.

I deducted the standard $0.30 per sale from the transactions and ran a percentage off of the remainder, and found I'm consistently being charged 19.25% for every transaction. 

Example item sale:

- Item Price: $28.75

- Sales Tax: $2.37

- Fee: $6.29

That brings the fee to 19.248% ((6.29-0.30) / (28.75 + 2.37)

What is the reason for being charged 19.25% all of the sudden? Has Ebay updated their rates?

@its_jofae    Does that $28.75 include the shipping cost? If not... what was the shipping cost? - Knowing what you paid for shipping on this item would really bring to light what you paid in fees in relation to just the item's selling price - the only source of profit in the transaction...

For example: If you paid $10 to ship this item, then you actually sold an $18.75 item. So those fees you paid would represent 30% of the items selling price - which is your true cost to the sale, rather than their watered down version of fees as a percentage of the entire transaction including item, shipping and tax...

Message 8 of 67
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 

Message 9 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 

Another Gold Nugget from Mam that is just more misconstruing and misunderstanding of the post being responded to...

I didnt ask what the shipping was in the transaction - I asked what the OP paid for shipping...

There is NO SUCH THING as free shipping! - If the seller paid $10 to ship this item, then he/she sold an $18.75 item.

Message 10 of 67
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 

Another Gold Nugget from Mam that is just more misconstruing and misunderstanding of the post being responded to...

I didnt ask what the shipping was in the transaction - I asked what the OP paid for shipping...

There is NO SUCH THING as free shipping! - If the seller paid $10 to ship this item, then he/she sold an $18.75 item.

OMG, really.  We weren't talking about any transaction but the one the OP created this thread to talk about.

That transaction was free shipping and it does matter.  It is exactly why when the OP presented the numbers related to this specific transaction they did not have a separate amount for shipping.  They just had the product price and the sales tax price for the total transaction that was paid by the buyer AND in turn the amount that the seller was charged their FVF on.

What the OP paid for shipping has absolutely NOTHING to do with the FVFs they paid to Ebay.  I am unsure why you think the COST [not what the buyer was charged] of shipping has to do with anything regarding FVFs.

However you are right I did misunderstand your question " Does that $28.75 include the shipping cost?"  I assumed something that I really should not have done.  I thought you were asking how much the buyer paid for shipping above the $28.75.  That is most certainly my bad.  But it didn't occur to me that you would think that the actual cost of shipping had anything to do with FVFs paid to Ebay.  I should have asked you for clarification and I'm sorry I made that error, I will try to be more careful in the future.  Sincerely. 😍

Thank you for trying to school me on what Free Shipping is, but I've been clear on that since the day the site allowed it in 2011. 

Message 11 of 67
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 

OMG, really.  We weren't talking about any transaction but the one the OP created this thread to talk about.

That transaction was free shipping and it does matter.  It is exactly why when the OP presented the numbers related to this specific transaction they did not have a separate amount for shipping.  They just had the product price and the sales tax price for the total transaction that was paid by the buyer AND in turn the amount that the seller was charged their FVF on.

What the OP paid for shipping has absolutely NOTHING to do with the FVFs they paid to Ebay.  I am unsure why you think the COST [not what the buyer was charged] of shipping has to do with anything regarding FVFs.

However you are right I did misunderstand your question " Does that $28.75 include the shipping cost?"  I assumed something that I really should not have done.  I thought you were asking how much the buyer paid for shipping above the $28.75.  That is most certainly my bad.  But it didn't occur to me that you would think that the actual cost of shipping had anything to do with FVFs paid to Ebay.  I should have asked you for clarification and I'm sorry I made that error, I will try to be more careful in the future.  Sincerely. 😍

Thank you for trying to school me on what Free Shipping is, but I've been clear on that since the day the site allowed it in 2011. 

You are misconstruing, assuming, and misunderstanding ALL OVER AGAIN - Where did I say anything about the amount the seller paid in shipping having anything to do with the FVFs?? - The Final value fees are $6 and change REGARDLESS of what the seller paid to ship - What I did imply, is the effect on profit and the overall affect the FVFs have on the transaction ARE based on how much the seller paid to ship - Wow - do you even read anything you respond to??

Message 12 of 67
latest reply

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@isaiah53-57 

You are misconstruing, assuming, and misunderstanding ALL OVER AGAIN - Where did I say anything about the amount the seller paid in shipping having anything to do with the FVFs?? - The Final value fees are $6 and change REGARDLESS of what the seller paid to ship - What I did imply, is the effect on profit and the overall affect the FVFs have on the transaction ARE based on how much the seller paid to ship - Wow - do you even read anything you respond to??

Well you didn't, but the actual cost of shipping has nothing to do with the concerns the OP came here with and has no bearing on how much FVF are.  I am sincerely sorry that I have again upset you.

You may want to review this post as it explains what the OP's issue is.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Ebay-charging-20-fees-for-sales/m-p/34210710#M2336045

The OP has voice no concern over their profit, however their concern over the amount in FVF they paid certainly does have an affect on that.  I did read what you said no matter how much you protest.  The cost of shipping simply has nothing to do with what the OP came here about.  Maybe you misunderstood something, IDK.  But there is no need for a conflict.

Message 13 of 67
latest reply

@its_jofae wrote:

What is the reason for being charged 19.25% all of the sudden?

Your Seller Hub has a transaction detail that will show you exactly how the fees were calculated. 

Without you giving us that detail, all we can do is guess. 

Message 14 of 67
latest reply

All of this ^^^ 

PLUS, sales tax is NOT a fee charged by eBay.

It is a fee charged by your state and/or local governments.  In California, it is high, as high as 9%.  What's your sales tax rate?

My total selling costs for last month were 33%.  That's all costs before rent and payroll.  But then, I volunteer for promotion which adds 10%.  

Message 15 of 67
latest reply