cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay charging 20+% fees for sales?

I was recently running some numbers on my latest sales on Ebay, and I realized that as of January 2024 I'm consistently being charged ~20% fees for every item I sell.

I deducted the standard $0.30 per sale from the transactions and ran a percentage off of the remainder, and found I'm consistently being charged 19.25% for every transaction. 

Example item sale:

- Item Price: $28.75

- Sales Tax: $2.37

- Fee: $6.29

That brings the fee to 19.248% ((6.29-0.30) / (28.75 + 2.37)

What is the reason for being charged 19.25% all of the sudden? Has Ebay updated their rates?

Message 1 of 67
latest reply
66 REPLIES 66

Re: Ebay charging 20+% fees for sales?

eBay has been charging me 30%+ in total fees which includes me losing money on the shipping as well. They do not calculate correctly. I don't have permission to upload the proof apparently otherwise id show my screenshot. 

Message 46 of 67
latest reply

@newlife_tcg 

It would be better for you to start your own thread. 
When you see that error screen saying you can’t proceed, just hit the send/reply option again and it will send. 

Fees, when compared against the selling price only, will always calculate higher. If one calculates the fees the way eBay calculates fees, it will be spot on. 
Fees are paid on the total payment. The item selling price is just one part of where the fees are calculated. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 47 of 67
latest reply

@newlife_tcg wrote:

eBay has been charging me 30%+ in total fees which includes me losing money on the shipping as well. They do not calculate correctly. I don't have permission to upload the proof apparently otherwise id show my screenshot. 

@newlife_tcg 

Ebay has NO category in which they charge any seller a 30% FVF.

Shipping costs are NOT a fee charged by Ebay.  Your shipping costs depend on what you are shipping and the particulars of the package.  

Are you using the Shipping Calculator?  If you are, then it is highly likely that you have some information in the calculator set up incorrectly if it is not calculating the correct price for the shipping.  The shipping calculator is only as good as the information you provide it.

If you are stating your own shipping, then you just need to revisit where you are getting your numbers from.

Or you may want to consider the shipping method outlined in the link below.  It will likely save you and your buyers money.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/shipping/choosing-a-carrier-and-service/ebay-standard-envelope

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 48 of 67
latest reply

I understand they do not "List" it anywhere on what they actually charge for fees other than the standard graph that shows 13.25% + .30/.40 per transaction. They are taking 22% without including the shipping fees & 39% if including shipping costs. I am an above standard seller according to my analytics which means i shouldn't be paying higher rates. I stopped using eBay for a few months for this reason but since eBay is such a "fanboy" trusted site sales can be better at times which is why I continue to use it and only use it for product I don't have much money into and can still take a profit with these outrages fees. 

I have my shipping details set exactly how I have them on all my other sites I sell on. I don't lose any money with them nor do they make me "pay" for the label since its only charged to the buyer and I just print the label. eBay needs to adopt that practice. eBay includes shipping costs into their fee calculation which isn't right for them to do. They are also charging my buyers less for shipping than they are charging me for the labels. 

Its frustrating eBay doesn't have a set standard across the board for fees and standard cut/dry shipping fees. I don't even have the option to use Free Shipping on my listings. Even Whatnot has better regulations when it comes to fees & shipping costs. 

Message 49 of 67
latest reply

@newlife_tcg 

"I understand they do not "List" it anywhere on what they actually charge for fees other than the standard graph that shows 13.25% + .30/.40 per transaction."

That is completely untrue.  Ebay is extremely transparent about their fees.  They don't have hidden fees.

What I was trying to explain to you is your shipping costs are NOT an Ebay fee.  What you pay for shipping goes to the carrier, Ebay doesn't keep it.

You can see exactly what you pay for Ebay fees on EVERY sales order you have or on your Payment Summary page, or in a transaction report you can run.

Don't confuse other costs of sales that you can pay for in Ebay to be an Ebay fee.  The money you pay to literally ship the item goes to the carrier and is a cost of sale, like your shipping supplies are, what you paid for the item you sold, office supplies, etc.  Those are all costs of sale, but NOT Ebay fees.

Ebay doesn't charge us for printing a label unless we print the label with shipping.

I explained about the amount you are charging for shipping in my previous post.  

Ebay does have set rates of FVF per category.  Because you don't agree with them or maybe misunderstand them a bit, doesn't mean it isn't there.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Or you can see them here:

https://www.ebay.com/sh/fin/summary

40.jpg41.jpg

Message 50 of 67
latest reply

"That is completely untrue.  Ebay is extremely transparent about their fees.  They don't have hidden fees." - Yes they do, You just haven't either been victim to it or don't see it. 

I appreciate your efforts in trying to explain your side or your experience. I am only telling you what I am being charged. I have done the math multiple times and it doesn't add up to what eBay says they charge for fee's. I deal with Purchases, GP's, Costs and Invoicing all day in my line of work and understand how to calculate my total cost vs total sale to find my GP. 

eBay Does in fact add the shipping cost into the total and then takes the fee %, at least in my experience. I am not including my costs for shipping supplies. Those costs have nothing to do with what I am trying to explain. eBay charges the buyer less for shipping than it does me for the label (My shipping sizes & weights are correct). I am stating they should charge the buyer for the label then allow me to print the label and not have to purchase it after buyer has already paid for it (If that makes sense to you).

The shipping issue feels like eBay double dips (charging the buyer, adding it to the total, charging me the fee % for that cost, removing from the payout and then charging me for the label) regardless if it goes straight to the carrier or not. I am not saying that's what is happening just a simple observation of how my transactions are being handled and paid out. 

I also am not confusing any "other fees/costs" but simply going off the break down of payout vs sale total.

I wish I had permissions to upload my screenshot. 

I do not believe they stick to the set FVF they claim. I do know I am being charged much more than the set FVF. your right I don't agree with eBay's fees, I know they have them written and I see them but I know they don't stick to them and charge more than they claim to only charge. 

Again, thank you for your input and I appreciate your effort to try and get your point across. I wish you the best of luck in your sales on eBay and unlimited growth for you. I was only stating my side and experience. Have a great day. This is my last response as this is getting nowhere as we have two completely different experiences on this platform. 

Message 51 of 67
latest reply

Your post to me is puzzling because I no longer sell and have not sold for years.

If I somehow gave that impression in a message, I am sorry.  

Message 52 of 67
latest reply

People upload screen shots here all the time.  They just black out any personal identifying information. 

Message 53 of 67
latest reply

Yes, Ebay charges their FVF of 13.25% in most categories on the total amount the buyer paid.  That includes for the product, shipping [if charged separately] and sales tax.  That is explained in the link I previously gave you on Seller Fees.

" eBay charges the buyer less for shipping than it does me for the label (My shipping sizes & weights are correct). "  Ebay charges the buyer for shipping exactly as you have your listing set up to charge shipping.  So if you are not charging enough for shipping, that is not Ebay's fault, it is in how you have it set up.  Either by stating how much to charge for shipping when you set up the listing or in the information you put in when you set up the shipping calculator for the listing.

" I am stating they should charge the buyer for the label then allow me to print the label and not have to purchase it after buyer has already paid for it (If that makes sense to you)."  The buyer does pay for the shipping, you receive that money.  If when the shipping label is created, no one pays for it, how does the carrier get paid?  You want the buyer to pay you, but when you create the label you don't want to have to pay for it, how is that going to work for your carriers.  You are purchasing the label with money the buyer paid to you.  That is how it works.  The carrier has to be paid.

So for example, lets say you charged the buyer $5 for shipping and that is what the buyer pays to you.  Ebay's FVF on that $5 will be 66cents and lets say the actual cost to purchase the shipping label was $4.31.  The buyer paid you $5 and you had costs of 66 cents plus 4.31 = 4.97.  So there is 3 cents left over.  Your costs were covered by what the buyer paid to you.

How much you charge a buyer for shipping should be enough to cover the purchase of the shipping label and a modest handling fee to cover FVFs and shipping supplies.  Or you can add the cost of shipping FVFs and the shipping supplies to the cost of your item you are selling along with your other costs, then calculating how much you need to sell the item for.

"I also am not confusing any "other fees/costs" but simply going off the break down of payout vs sale total."  You are by calling all the costs as being Ebay fees when shipping charges you pay to the carrier is not an Ebay fee but a cost of your sales.  You would have to pay for shipping whether you sold the item here or on some other similar site.  So it is just word choice.  You are talking about your Costs, which consist of Ebay FVFs and your shipping costs.

I also wish you nothing but the very best.

Message 54 of 67
latest reply

@soh.maryl wrote:

Your post to me is puzzling because I no longer sell and have not sold for years.

If I somehow gave that impression in a message, I am sorry.  

That post was made a couple months ago.  If you follow it back through the chain of posts where we were conversing back and forth, it started with your post #39 on the thread.

No need to apologize.  The conversation was awhile ago.

Message 55 of 67
latest reply

I think we all know that it is because they SAY they are charging 12.5% or whatever, but they are also charging fees on the state sales tax AND the shipping.  It is disingenuous to pretend it's something that the seller is doing, really.  I just sold something for $50 plus shipping and tax and the overall fee was over 20%, so it is strictly a head game being played by Ebay, as usual.  After 25 years of selling here, I am here to actually say that they do not give a **bleep** about the people who sell: you/we are just the anchovy ball that feeds the big fish....

Message 56 of 67
latest reply

@bigheadlulu wrote:

I think we all know that it is because they SAY they are charging 12.5% or whatever, but they are also charging fees on the state sales tax AND the shipping.  It is disingenuous to pretend it's something that the seller is doing, really.  I just sold something for $50 plus shipping and tax and the overall fee was over 20%, so it is strictly a head game being played by Ebay, as usual.  After 25 years of selling here, I am here to actually say that they do not give a **bleep** about the people who sell: you/we are just the anchovy ball that feeds the big fish....

Ebay doesn't "pretend" fees are something they are not.  It is all spelled out for seller on the Selling Fee policy.  Because some members chose not to read and absorb what the policy is doesn't mean that Ebay is doing anything wrong.  It is the responsibility of the sellers to understand the seller rules, especially when it comes to the fees we pay.

Some sellers make the choice of not learning policies that impact them and that is their right, however that does not translate to Ebay doing anything wrong.  What is "disingenuous" is pushing the blame onto Ebay when it is the seller that hasn't taken the time to understand the fee structure on the site.

And if the seller doesn't understand the fee structure on the site, how do they price their items correctly.  Sellers need to know all their costs to accurately price their items or should.  

Ebay selling fees are NOT inclusive of the amount you pay to a carrier for the actual shipment.  Ebay doesn't keep that money.  Ebay fees are exactly what they say they are in the Selling Fee policy.  The cost of shipping is determined by the carriers.  It is a cost of sale, but it is not an Ebay fee.  So your costs of sale may be 20% to include Ebay fees and carrier costs.  That is likely, that 20% just isn't all Ebay fees.

Anyone that sells tangible stuff on the internet is going to have to ship the product.  So whether you sell here or elsewhere, shipping is a real cost of doing business.

Message 57 of 67
latest reply

First I will agree with you eBay cares little about the sellers or the buyers for that matter. They are a business and their sole purpose is to maximize their value to their shareholders. As long as they continue to remain profitable and meet shareholder expectations they will do little to revise their policies or costs. 

For your recent sale if this is the item and I had made the purchase if I plug the numbers into a simple cost model and assume that you actually paid $24 for the shipping label your effective FVF% is naturally higher than the 13.25% because of the FVF being applied to the shipping and sales tax but it is not 20%. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1713989040408.png

dbfolks166mt_1-1713989102579.png

Message 58 of 67
latest reply

Something's wrong with your calculations, or else you're advertising at too high of a rate.  We consistently pay around 13.8% in fees.

Message 59 of 67
latest reply

You may want to update your Per Transaction fee.  Not a big difference, but it is now 40 cents.

Message 60 of 67
latest reply