cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deadbeat Scamming Customer Files Return Request on Item they are now selling on Mercari

I posted earlier about a buyer making a false claim on a 10k ring we sold them a few days ago. This same buyer has an open return request for a the item and we discover they have this item now for sale on Mercari using our photos from ebay. I stumbled upon it today. Same customer, has her name on the Mercari account same ring. This person has a total of 10 purchases on ebay and 3 sells on Mercari, a newbie infrequent buyer (scammer) and seller on both websites. The customer was reported to ebay for their false claim and we sent a screenshot of the item for sale on the message system here to the buyer. We also warned the buyer that they better send us back what we sent. Unbelievable what these scammers will do on here.  We congratulated, LOL! THE BUYER FOR HER 300 PERCENT MARKUP ON THE ITEM. WE SOLD IT TO HER FOR LIKE 220.00. SHE HAS IT UP FOR SALE FOR 480.00 ON MERCARI.  The item is fairly rare so IMPOSSIBLE for this to be another ring this person has to sell OTHER than what we sent them. 

Message 1 of 142
latest reply
141 REPLIES 141

Deadbeat Scamming Customer Files Return Request on Item they are now selling on Mercari

We so over use the word "scam".  To be scammed, you would have to lose some money or product to the buyer.  At this point they have not accomplished that.

That doesn't mean what they are doing is right.  Because it isn't.  You need to pull all the evidence together and then contact Ebay for help in this.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 2 of 142
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

I posted earlier about a buyer making a false claim on a 10k ring we sold them a few days ago. This same buyer has an open return request for a the item and we discover they have this item now for sale on Mercari using our photos from ebay. I stumbled upon it today. Same customer, has her name on the Mercari account same ring. This person has a total of 10 purchases on ebay and 3 sells on Mercari, a newbie infrequent buyer (scammer) and seller on both websites. The customer was reported to ebay for their false claim and we sent a screenshot of the item for sale on the message system here to the buyer. We also warned the buyer that they better send us back what we sent. Unbelievable what these scammers will do on here.  We congratulated, LOL! THE BUYER FOR HER 300 PERCENT MARKUP ON THE ITEM. WE SOLD IT TO HER FOR LIKE 220.00. SHE HAS IT UP FOR SALE FOR 480.00 ON MERCARI.  The item is fairly rare so IMPOSSIBLE for this to be another ring this person has to sell OTHER than what we sent them. 

She's not gonna get that on Mercari of all places. That's like the cheapest of the cheapest. What a dope.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 142
latest reply

Yep. She wont sell it for that’s price there. Absolutely.

Message 4 of 142
latest reply

I may do a call to my concierge service today about this alerting them to this issue. Yes, I know this is a completed scam yet, but it may be heading in that direction and I plan to try to head this buyer off at the pass. A call to my concierge service today for them be to aware and go to facebook absolutely ebay for business if they can’t help.

Message 5 of 142
latest reply

I'm a bit confused here so correct me if I'm wrong. What I got from the OP is that a return is currently open for a ring that the buyer received and current still has in possession. Also that buyer is currently selling the exact same ring on Mercari for a profit.

Is the OP calling scam because of the reason the buyer used to file the return? a false SNAD maybe? If so, that's the only thing I see that is violating ebay policy here. Which is really a no different reason from a high majority of abusive buyer returns that ebay gets. It sounds to me like the buyer is trying to see if they can profit off this ring before their return window expires, which then they probably will return the same ring if it goes unsold in Mercari. That idea is pretty shady, but does it violate ebay policy? I don't know.

Message 6 of 142
latest reply

Yes. Perfectly ok to resell and item people buy on here. That is a non issue. We hope that’s the case, but and open return started 1 day after they received the item and then putting it up for sale with a active return request AND making a false claim is extremely suspect.

Message 7 of 142
latest reply

Furthermore, I as a buyer am not going to make a false claim, set up a return request, and then show the pictures of the authentic item we sold them with the 10k mark and manufacturers trademark in Their pictures on Mercari. This buyer is up to something and it does not look good at this point. I could care less if this persons wants to try to sell what they bought from us. That’s their privilege. If you don’t sell it fine send it back within our time frame, but IDO NOT WANT THIS BUYER TO BUY FROM ME AGAIN and they are blocked, and hopefully they will send our merchandise back if they don’t sell it.

Message 8 of 142
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yes. Perfectly ok to resell and item people buy on here. That is a non issue. We hope that’s the case, but and open return started 1 day after they received the item and then putting it up for sale with a active return request AND making a false claim is extremely suspect.

Oh okay. You're simply jumping the gun a bit with suspicion, which is fine I guess since only time will tell. But what is the alternative to my guess, what are you worried about? That the item will sell in Mercari and the buyer will return back a brick to you? That would be a scam, but that can still happen any buyer regardless if they were trying to resell on Mercari. I try not to get that wrapped up into it until there is something more definite like the item coming back isn't what you sent out. Ebay CS might say the same thing to you.

Just curious, you mentioned "false claim" a few times already so I'm assuming they filed a SNAD return and not a remorse one. What was their return reason and did they give any comment or details of why they are returning the ring to you?

Message 9 of 142
latest reply

Yeah they file a SNAD saying the ring was not 10k gold. When it is absolutely 10k gold.

Message 10 of 142
latest reply

Filed a SNAD saying not 10k gold which is a reputational thing with us as well. We sell over 100,000 a year on here with 15 plus year history of buyers who are completely pleased with our authentic products. Repeat customers for years to boot. This buyer has the ‘FAKE” RING she says on sale on Mercari showing the 10k hallmark and manufacturers stamp. I told her in the message and screenshots that her assessment was really off. LOL!!!

Message 11 of 142
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

Yeah they file a SNAD saying the ring was not 10k gold. When it is absolutely 10k gold.

Oh okay. Yea that would bother me too. What does it say on their Mercari listing, 10k gold or not? It'd definitely be shady of them if it did say it was 10k gold.

Message 12 of 142
latest reply

Also said in return request in addition to not real 10k gold but also I just don’t like it. Does not look like the picture which is a bunch of hoo haw.

Message 13 of 142
latest reply

I could be wrong, but it seems to me the buyer is just trying to make a profit off your ring and using a false SNAD in order for them to have a plan B so they don't get stuck with the ring if they can't sell it. If I'm right, the only thing you can get the buyer on is for being an abusive buyer for filing a false SNAD. Time will tell.

Did you have the listing as "no returns"? I'm just wondering why the buyer thought they had to file a SNAD versus a remorse return.

Message 14 of 142
latest reply

Yep, selling it as we listed it with 10k gold mark showing in their photos. Also using all of our photos on their listing. Got all the screenshots, the date she posted it on Mercari and her name on the Mercari account the same as her ebay account. 

Message 15 of 142
latest reply