cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer requested return due to international shipping costs

I have a customer who had reached out asking if I can lower the shipping cost to due to the cost of the item, I said I can send an invoice once the auction ends. The customer won, and when I went to send the invoice, I was blocked because you cannot invoice international orders. I explained to the customer the issue, and mentioned that it is out of my hands. The customer immediately requested a refund. Do they face any repercussions here? I usually just refund and block but this happened on more than one listing, all by the same customer, and they have feedback which means they had to have some understanding of the platform rules as an international customer.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@thestarkmarket   me? i would refund then block bc this sounds like an entitled buyer and could cause u more grief than what the sales are worth

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@thestarkmarket wrote:

I have a customer who had reached out asking if I can lower the shipping cost to due to the cost of the item, I said I can send an invoice once the auction ends. The customer won, and when I went to send the invoice, I was blocked because you cannot invoice international orders. I explained to the customer the issue, and mentioned that it is out of my hands. The customer immediately requested a refund. Do they face any repercussions here? I usually just refund and block but this happened on more than one listing, all by the same customer, and they have feedback which means they had to have some understanding of the platform rules as an international customer.

The inability to send an invoice is only for orders shipped via eBay International Shipping, even if you could send an invoice you could only change the domestic portion.

The shipping and handling that EIS charges are pretty steep when it's for something like a trading card (basically they have a minimum rate for 1lb).

In any event, if you want to avoid repercussions just cancel the order as Buyer Requested and don't worry about the Buyer.

If there was multiple bidders you might be able to send a Second Chance offer to the underbidder(s):

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/making-second-chance-offers?id=4142

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

I tell folks who want to get a "cheaper" shipping cost is that I can't do anything about shipping costs, because I charge actual shipping with the shipping calculator and have no control over what (insert shipping carrier here) charges

I would cancel due to buyer request (that's what it sounds like to me) and relist

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

@thestarkmarket wrote:

eBay policy: 

"We understand that there may be times when orders need to be canceled. Buyers can request a cancellation, but generally only sellers can cancel an order. We encourage sellers to accept a buyer's cancellation request as long as they haven't yet shipped the item."

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/member-behavior-policies/order-cancellation-policy?id=5298

Message 5 of 5
latest reply