cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims items is damaged. It isn't.

Sold buyer a tube of horse/dog balm in a tube. The tube was new and sealed. Buyer requested a return saying (falsely) she had reached out to me with no response and that the contents were "watery" and "I lost a lot of cream when I opened it."  She included a picture of the "watery" contents, which are in fact watery because she obviously didn't shake the tube first. (The instructions on the tube say "Shake Well Before Use.")

I messaged her back asking her to shake the tube then look at the contents. I haven't back from her. I'm assuming she'll still want to return the "defective" tube which is now open and unsellable and get her money back. 

Is there any chance at all eBay sides with me? The buyer doesn't allege any damage to the tube itself, nor does she claim it was open when she received it. She just opened it without shaking it up first.

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Buyer claims items is damaged. It isn't.

If the buyer has filed an INAD, eBay will side with the buyer. They do not review the claims and make decisions. If the buyer is unhappy, they make the buyer whole. 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

OTOH- even if the seller has a No Returns policy they are entitled to demand the return of the disputed item before refunding.

They will probably be required to pay for return shipping.

But.

If the complainer is just looking for a discount on perfectly fine goods, they won't bother to return it.

And the seller is eventually refunded on those unused shipping labels.

However- What seems to have happened here is that the buyer sent a Message (not a Claim) about the goods, you responded with further instructions ("read the dang tube, stooopid!" but more polite) and the customer has not made any further complaint.

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.  You handled a potential problem correctly. Don't worry about stuff that hasn't happened.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

If the buyer files an INAD, they find in favor of the buyer.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I the buyer filed a return request with eBay, do not wait. 

Approve the return. The buyer can then send it back for a refund OR not, depending on if shaking the tube worked.

If the buyer just messaged you, didnt file with eBay, just wait and see what they do.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Seems that a claim was opened, but OP will need to clarify.

--------------------------------

Buyer requested a return saying (falsely) she had reached out to me with no response

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Yes, she requested a return. She didn't claim the item was not as described. She claimed it was defective. Same thing?

I messaged her and asked if she shook the tube. I haven't heard back. Assuming she wants a refund and ebay will take her side, I'll probably just let her keep it because I'll be out the return shipping otherwise and I won't be able to sell the opened tube.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but it's frustrating that a buyer can demand a refund for an item that isn't defective at all and is exactly as described and be backed up by ebay.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@reallynicestamps 

Nice Bible reference there, and appropriately applied.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Did she file a formal Claim though?
Not just a Message to you, but a Claim under the Money Back Guarantee.

It really does make a difference.

If there is no Claim, you already did the right thing in explaining how it works.

If there is a Claim, you must immediately send that Return Shipping Label.

Not every transaction will go perfectly.

An unuseable return is a tax deduction.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply