cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abusing Ebay's 'Free Returns' with 2 items 'claiming' they didnt fit

I had a 'double' sale a couple weeks ago to a customer in Puerto Rico...2 boat motor propellers that I had to ship separately...Apx $16 calculated shipping each...labels were right at $13 each, so I refunded him the overage on each...I messaged buyer to make sure he was aware that these were not returnable if used or tried out and that neither of the props came with a 'hub kit'...which is the 'norm' for any outboard propeller being sold anywhere...I could never get a reply from him, so I had to send them out so they would be late.

Buyer then messages me back(in Spanish), not a reply to my questions, but to ask where the 'hub kits' were or where he could get them(I had to translate the message)...Even tho it CLEARLY STATES in my description and in the pictures that they were NOT INCLUDED...He must not have even took the time to read/translate the words in the listing and didnt read the clear words on the box that say NO HUB KIT...many different hub kits per different brands/size outboard motors.

Well, I go and try to find him a hub kit...spent many hours showing him the type he needed, but I need his brand & motor size to be precise...Never messaged/responded me back...He then, a few days later, starts a 'return' on both props...using 'DOESN'T FIT' category so I had to pay for the return shipping...So now, the return shipping labels from ebay will probably be $16 each to return them

So, any ideas what I can do?...I refuse to pay over $60 in FREE SHIPPING (both ways) for this guy that is too lazy to read/translate the listing or communicating before buying something...I know I dont have to include the 'original shipping' when I send him his refund for original purchases...Just sux when people abuse the system...If he sends me 2 Negs, can I get them removed if he abused the 'return' process? ThanksCapturebrfyu.PNGCaptureyturb.PNGCapture6htf.PNGCaptureyftb.PNG

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer abusing Ebay's 'Free Returns' with 2 items 'claiming' they didnt fit

@humminbird-heaven I totally understand the frustration - used to work for a boat parts company.

Between this exact problem with hub kits (happens often even with English speakers who just don't read) and the number of people who would not do the proper research or contact us to determine the right prop before buying, then do a return and send us something back that looked like they had tried to make it fit with a sledgehammer, the owner eventually decided to simply stop selling props through eBay and limit them only to their direct website where they could integrate the manufacturer's interactive prop guide and have more control over the return policy.

That being said, I agree with @wastingtime101 - while your frustration is understandable, this is not return abuse as you do offer free returns and the buyer is simply going through the return process in the correct and normal manner given the return policy you have selected and offered.

Just a heads up, if the reason you offer free returns is solely for Top Rated Seller Plus benefits, Motors Parts and Accessories is one of the categories where you can get the TRS+ fee discount with 30 day buyer paid returns...you just won't have the badge on your profile.

You'll have to decide how important that badge is to your business, but if paying for return shipping on remorse returns is a significant cost for you, it may be worth it to make the switch and still get the fee discount as long as you continue to meet all the other qualifications.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

2023-11-09_17-23-25.jpg

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

If it's a remorse return buyer has to pay for return shipping. How did the buyer open a return?

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why you think this is abuse.

Your listings offer 30 day free returns. That means you agree to pay return shipping if the buyer files a return for any reason from changed mind to just didn't like it to doesn't fit to I gave away my outboard and don't need it anymore.

That's the return policy you offer. Buyer didn't file an abusive return.

Filing an abusive return would be saying "not as described" on a remorse return to force a seller with buyer-pays returns into free shipping.

Your buyer had remorse and filed with a remorse reason.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

If it's a remorse return buyer has to pay for return shipping. How did the buyer open a return?

The seller offers 30 day free (seller-paid) returns @12345jamesstamps .

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Sorry, I didn't read all the previous posts. My bad.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@humminbird-heaven I totally understand the frustration - used to work for a boat parts company.

Between this exact problem with hub kits (happens often even with English speakers who just don't read) and the number of people who would not do the proper research or contact us to determine the right prop before buying, then do a return and send us something back that looked like they had tried to make it fit with a sledgehammer, the owner eventually decided to simply stop selling props through eBay and limit them only to their direct website where they could integrate the manufacturer's interactive prop guide and have more control over the return policy.

That being said, I agree with @wastingtime101 - while your frustration is understandable, this is not return abuse as you do offer free returns and the buyer is simply going through the return process in the correct and normal manner given the return policy you have selected and offered.

Just a heads up, if the reason you offer free returns is solely for Top Rated Seller Plus benefits, Motors Parts and Accessories is one of the categories where you can get the TRS+ fee discount with 30 day buyer paid returns...you just won't have the badge on your profile.

You'll have to decide how important that badge is to your business, but if paying for return shipping on remorse returns is a significant cost for you, it may be worth it to make the switch and still get the fee discount as long as you continue to meet all the other qualifications.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-standards-policy?id=4347

2023-11-09_17-23-25.jpg

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Pretty much sucks no matter how I look at it...It would be different if the guy actually communicated with me...Its really because he said it 'didnt fit' on 2 items, which are lies in my book...2 wrongs dont make a right no matter how you look at it...thanks for the feedback...not sure the 'TRS' is worth the hassle as you say...any profit I would have made on these 2 items is long gone now...hopefully they wont come back damaged so I can hopefully recoup the $$ I have in them

I knew in my heart I should have canceled both orders after he wouldnt respond to messages directly after the sales...just had a bad feelin' in my gut when they were heading to Puerto Rico...another lesson learned after selling on here for over 20 years...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

If the props come back damaged/altered @humminbird-heaven , you can deduct up to 50% of the refund because of your free returns policy.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/handle-return-request-seller?id=4115#sect...

Expand the section that says 'Guidelines for how much to deduct from the refund'

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Ok, say they are damaged and I deduct said amount,

can the buyer still leave me 2 negative reviews after refund is processed?

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

How are they abusing the Free Returns?

You accept returns, so buyers can return for any/no reason.

Have a great day.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps wrote:

Not when they have free returns.

Have a great day.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@humminbird-heaven wrote:

Ok, say they are damaged and I deduct said amount,

can the buyer still leave me 2 negative reviews after refund is processed?

As long as you are deducting in accordance with the seller protection guidelines, you will be protected against neg FB. I believe it gets scrubbed once a week. All the seller protection info is on that link I posted.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Thank you...I was there reading it..I appreciate it👍

Message 13 of 13
latest reply