cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bid Cancellations

It seems that some buyers feel they can place a high bid on an auction while fishing around for similar auctions, place other bids, then cancel their original bid, which leaves the first seller high and dry.

This  has happened to me, and their reason for the bid cancellation was that they placed the amount of the bid "in error".  After three days?  An error?  Really?  I'm talking about a $90.00 loss here.

I propose that Ebay institute a Bid Cancellation Rule that any buyer is only allowed one cancellation a month...for any reason!

If there is a way to circumvent a system to their advantage, no matter who loses (usually the seller), some people will find it.

Time to step in Ebay and shut these people down!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Bid Cancellations

I stop doing "Auctions" and "Best Offers" years ago, and I don't miss either.  I just have "Buy It Now", if some one wants to buy what I am selling, they go ahead and buy.

Good luck on your selling journey!

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Thank you for your viewpoint, which I thoroughly agree with.

Most of the answers to my reply are from new Ebayers with less than 500 feedbacks.  I've been selling on Ebay for 25 years (yes, that's 25!!!) and have over 4,000 positive feedbacks with no negatives, so I feel my complaint is a valid one.  

Unfortunately, Ebay cannot police every auction and, if they could, they would more than likely side with the buyer, which has been my experience.

You can quote me every rule in the Ebay Rulebook, but there are always people who think they can contravene the rules.  They think they can stretch the rules to suit themselves and unfortunately they have been getting away with it.

I say there should be a limit on how many cancellations a person can make in one month, ideally ONE ONLY.  This will knock out those who are fishing for the best lot price and assure they commit to the seller and follow through with the sale.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@vintagewares wrote:

Most of the answers to my reply are from new Ebayers with less than 500 feedbacks. 

Many of the most knowledgeable, seasoned sellers on this board use a "posting ID" - an eBay account used primarily for interacting with this board. 

This protects their privacy and also protects them from retaliation by hot-header posters who don't like their answers. 

You will see nothing for sale on this account I use on the message board, but for years I have had six selling accounts with 1200+ items listed at any given time. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

It's a scam so they can get what they want for a better price. It ties up your item and nobody sees it. eBay used to prevent this...

Message 19 of 19
latest reply